stupid rumor of the day (.223 ammo)?

This is a discussion on stupid rumor of the day (.223 ammo)? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went over to Gander Mountain this afternoon to buy some supplies, and while I was getting my stuff started talking about reloading and guns ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stupid rumor of the day (.223 ammo)?

stupid rumor of the day (.223 ammo)?

I went over to Gander Mountain this afternoon to buy some supplies, and while I was getting my stuff started talking about reloading and guns with one of the gun area employees. It wouldn't have been polite to argue with him, but what he told rumor-wise just sounded really off. Just on the off chance that there's even a 1% chance of there being something to it, I thought I'd repeat it here and have everyone explain to me and reassure me why this can't happen.

We were talking about reloading, and this guy working at the store says "well, you'd better buy up a bunch of brass .223 and get set up for reloading, because 'they' are getting rid of it or changing it so that only the government can buy it, after a little while only the military and police are going to have .223". He claims that he was told internal to the company that this is coming down the pike.

Now, for starters I figure maybe he's confusing Gander Mountain discontinuing sales of .223 with what he said above. (and since GM sells all kinds of AR15s I have trouble seeing that) Secondly, I can't see how something like this could happen unless some sort of horrific new gun and ammo bans got passed. I don't think the government can just wave a wand and make the sale of .223 ammo illegal. And I can't see the government buying ALL of it up either, I know .223's gotten expensive but there will always be a sporting and commercial demand for it, it can't just all dry up.

Can it? Can it? Please explain to me why I'm stupid for worrying about this for more than 5 seconds. I'm pessimistic enough to start planning now just in case it does happen...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I call shenanigans on that. I don't know how stuff like this gets started, but it's ridiculous.

.223 is too popular for everybody to stop making it, as long as it's still legal. And there's no way a ban on military calibers would see the light of day.

Lightbulb Blowing Smoke.......................................

I think you need to pass some gas and clear out the smoke someone has been blowing.....223 has been in somewhat short supply,causing RUMOR CONTROL to run rampant.

there are also a bunch of bolt 223 out there so ti would be aweful hard to ban it

Should I take the 2.000 rounds back that I just bought?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    LOL....
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I heard the primers on all the 5.56mm in circulation expire in 18 months.
    The Marshmallowist

Quote Originally Posted by soflasmg View Post
    I'll let you know. I was just doing some inventory today and I've got some old stuff that I need to shoot up and rotate some new stuff in. If it don't bang we'll know the conspiracy is true.

Funny though, I was thinking about such things as shelf life an longevity the other day when i was shooting clays with some old paper 12ga shells from the 60s.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Don't think for a moment that it can't or won't happen because you might be unpleasently surprised, not just with .223 but any/all ammo. The left-wingers will do anything they can get by with to limit your rights. Better to be safe and reload (or stockpile) now. Remember the 1968 gun laws ? We sure didn't think it was the beginning of more to come.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Should I take the 2.000 rounds back that I just bought?

ret
    No, you should sell me 1000 of them at a steep discount to pay your penance.

What kind of price did you get, and from where? I'd like to pick some up, myself, but noplace around here has it, at least not exorbitantly expensive.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soflasmg View Post
    WHAT?!

Well, I thought I'd feel foolish and I am after posting this. But, I'm glad to not hear anyone say they heard the same thing from a credible source, that's for sure. I did just buy a turret press and some dies to start making pistol ammo, too. Not because of this kind of worry but the prospect of terrible limits or bans has made reloading as a hobby even more attractive! Not to mention the cost.

Administrator
    I think I'm going to start a rumor than the govt is going to release its surplus for public sale, so the prices will come down.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think I'm going to start a rumor than the govt is going to release its surplus for public sale, so the prices will come down.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah,....they have these stock piles of mil ball .45 that is just sitting around in warehouses, and since they have gone to 9mm, they are going to sell this stuff dirt cheap...

Add that one to what ever it is that you need, cause I can sure use some cheap target stuff.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Yeah..... part of Hillary's plan....... The primers expire in 18 months and the powder breaks down to talc and cornstarch in 2 years..... That way we all have to get our arsenal licenses if we want more than ten primers and an ounce of powder!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links