Hell-O Hell-O ???.....Bang!

Hell-O Hell-O ???.....Bang!

This is a discussion on Hell-O Hell-O ???.....Bang! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok...I grabbed the posted thread below off of GLOCKTALK (minus the GT members name) I thought this was a valid (though rare) topic. It's NOT ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hell-O Hell-O ???.....Bang!

Administrator

Exclamation Hell-O Hell-O ???.....Bang!

Ok...I grabbed the posted thread below off of GLOCKTALK (minus the GT members name)
    I thought this was a valid (though rare) topic.
    It's NOT the first time I've heard of this.
    I remember once that a (different forum) member was dreaming that he heard the phone ring & "woke up" to discover that he "answered" his fully loaded firearm.
    Does anyone here sleep walk? Just curious.
    My wife wants me to post this question so she can get some opinions from armed citizens on the matter. ~ although I have a gun safe, I keep my Glock on top of the bedroom dresser (about 2 feet away from the bed), holstered, full magazine, with no round chambered.
    I prefer not to have it in my safe when sleeping for the fear of not being able to punch in the safe code and draw it fast enough if an intruder has already entered my home. now, the issue she has is that i have been known to occasionally walk and talk in my sleep.
    I have also moved items while sleepwalking such as pillows, looking through my wallet, yelling at my wife (lol) etc.
    She is not "antigun" but doesn't appear to be "pro-gun" either. She also asked that I mention we have 3 small children in the home (another reason I feel the need to have it more accessible if awoken by an intruder). She is concerned that I can possibly retrieve, draw, and fire the gun AT HER if "dreaming" there is an intruder in the room.
    What is the likelihood of getting up, going to the dresser, removing the firearm from the holster, racking the slide, pointing it at my wife who is sound asleep in the bed and "shooting" her thinking that she is an intruder in my dream??
    I think the possibility is highly unlikely and feel that being surprised by an armed intruder and having no defense is much more likely than her scenario. What do you think?
    Help me out here..

I have my own opinion about this but, I'll wait until all of you forum members "Have A Go" at it.
    How do you think this guy should handle this problem?
    NEW FORUM MEMBERS your personal opinion is always welcome.

Assistant Administrator
    That is a very tricky one - containing a component of Catch 22! Overall I'd think the risk is near zero - but even if we say 99.99% safe - is there just that chance of a disaster?

Heck - not an easy one at all. My problem is heavy sleep - and so trouble getting clear of sleep ''fog'', I do apparently talk some garbage sometimes too!

In his case, I think I'd want to know more detail about what he has done supposedly while asleep, whether he has an recollections etc. I need to ponder this some more.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

wow that would suck cant say with out hearing more detail ... and no ive never answered my glock hk ruger or 1911's

Lead Moderator
    seems a digital code safe would be the best solution. It may take longer to get to your gun, but if yer awake enough to puch the code , yer more likely to be awake enough to use correctly.

VIP Member
    Wow. That's a tough one. I wonder what kind of safe he has? Maybe one of those MiniVaults would be a good option for him - fast to open but hopefully sleepwalking resistant?

I saw some program on TV a while back where some serious sleepwalkers would do things like climb out of bed, walk to the kitchen, and make a sandwiches. (The guy who made the sandwich made it out of bread and salt.) Some would walk down the street.

Sometimes I talk, laugh, cry, sing, smack and kick when I sleep.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Administrator

Thumbs up Betty

Betty ~
    Yep...That is an absolute fact.
    I believe that a sleep walker can do anything in that somnambulistic state that they could do while fully awake.
    Did you like that word??? "somnambulistic" ???

If I were sleeping in bed with that guy...I would first of all probably be well...you know... & second of all....I sure would be wearing Body Armor Jammies & sleeping with my head under a Kevlar lined pillow!
    That sleepy time dude is downright dangerous!
    And...there are children...in his house?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

It really pains me to say this, but, IF the guy really has had sleepwalking episodes, in which he doesn't know what he's doing, then NO WAY should he keep an easily accessible firearm. Get a scrappy little Terrier to be your first alarm in the event of home intrusion. That should give you enough time to wake up and access your firearm.

Sorry, but if you're really not aware of your actions, it's downright scary to have access to a loaded firearm.

Just MHO.

deadeye.

DC Founder
    I am clueless on this but I doubt that you would do anything while under the influence of sleep than you would do while hypnotized. And they say that a hypnotist cannot make you do anything that you morally, ethically (or any other -ally) would do while awake. If someone claimed to have shot their spouse while in a sleepwalking episode, I would probably say they should be booked for murder. I simply don't buy it....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Lead Moderator
    I once walked out into the garage sleep walking, ......for a glass of water. But that was years ago, and I haven't slept walked in years.

Oh good grief Charlie Brown... I toss and turn and talk and fidget in my sleep, but I don't attempt to do math problems much less shoot...

One word: microvault. Just as fast as keeping it in the drawer and much more secure. Most are specifcally designed to be used by feel in the dark. I use one and love it.

Administrator

Wink Bumper

The thing that is odd about folks that sleepwalk is that in that "dream state" their vivid imagination is running full speed ahead.
    Like what Betty said about the sleep walker making himself a tasty all salt sandwich.
    This guy might have "gun in hand" & actually be dreaming that he is squirting a water pistol.
    My advice to him would be to have a good home perimeter alarm installed and get a barking bowser and put the pistola away.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sleepwalking dad killer cleared of murder

Just some food for thought.....

A man has been cleared of murdering his father after a court accepted his excuse he was sleepwalking at the time, a highly unusual defence seen just a handful of times in the country's legal history.

Jules Lowe, 32, was facing life imprisonment for killing his 83-year-old father Edward in a savage beating at their house in Manchester, north-west England, an attack he did not deny but claimed to have no memory of.

At the start of the case, prosecutors labelled Lowe's defence of sleepwalking "far fetched in the extreme".
    You can read the entire article here:
    Sleepwalker
    Last edited by Fjolnirsson; March 25th, 2005 at 01:28 PM. Reason: spelling/strange sentence
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Administrator

Fjolnirsson

Thanks for the addition.
    I think I might hafta install a new hot water heater in my sleep tonight.
    BTW ~ I paid a visit to your blog ~ Neat! AND...I noted that you added a link to CombatCarry.com there!

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    BTW ~ I paid a visit to your blog ~ Neat! AND...I noted that you added a link to CombatCarry.com there!
    I spent about an hour on your blog a few nights ago and found it interesting. And thanks for the link, Fjolnirsson! You've been added to the CombatCarry links, as well.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    One weekend morning, my wife got up in a very good mood, fed the mutts and made waffles.

As she was cutting an exceptionally large pat of real butter onto my plate and serving it up, she leaned in close to me, kissed my cheek, and said, "You still have the touch, Pizza-Man."

Sleep walking? Heck, it appears I have a different concern...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links