Appalachian Law School shooting; facts in dispute

This is a discussion on Appalachian Law School shooting; facts in dispute within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.investors.com/editorial/e...61873389636988 Lott continues: "Along with Ted Besen (who was unarmed), they approached Peter from different sides. As Tracy explains it, "I stopped at my vehicle ...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.investors.com/editorial/e...61873389636988

Lott continues: "Along with Ted Besen (who was unarmed), they approached Peter from different sides. As Tracy explains it, "I stopped at my vehicle and got a handgun, a revolver. Ted went toward Peter, and I aimed the gun at (Peter), and Peter tossed his gun down." Then the three jumped on the gunman and the killing stopped.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070424/..._tech_gingrich

BLACKSBURG, Va. - Ted Besen bristles when politicians suggest that armed classmates could have stopped Virginia Tech gunman Seung-Hui Cho.

Five years ago, while a student at the Appalachian School of Law in southwestern Virginia, he tackled and subdued a mentally unstable student named Peter Odighizuwa who had fatally shot the dean, a professor and another student.

In the days that followed, many applauded two other students who followed Besen with guns in hand.

"Their guns had no effect on Peter," Besen said Tuesday. "I already had Peter on the ground before they got out their guns."

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said on "This Week with George Stephanopoulos" Sunday that armed students have successfully stopped killers in the classroom.

After Odighizuwa finished shooting, Besen said, he walked onto a lawn, put his gun down and started yelling at students as they fled. Besen said he charged Odighizuwa, knocking him to the ground.

"And as soon as I saw him put the gun down, I took off," Besen said. "I tried to get between him and the gun."

Somebody is either suffering from eyewitness syndrome, or they're lying.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Yeah I remember all that nonsense spewing forth on the news. Pretty much every news org stated that people tackled him and no mention was ever made of the students retrieving their firearms and holding him at gunpoint. We only heard about that via the interviews with the folks themselves...even after...the news still reported their slanted side.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Of course, they had to leave their weapons in thier vehicles - so of course you could tackle him before they arrived. If they had them on their sides, maybe the count of shootings would have been lessened.

Lead Moderator
    So after the gunman put his gun down he was tackled? What if he had not put the gun down?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

It brings to mind the report on violent assaults against LEs. Several instances were reported of an officer not recognizing his/her partner, or "losing them" and not relating how a BG responded to all players, not just the closest officer. I think Ted may have "tunneled out" some events. No surprise, no particular fault.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    So after the gunman put his gun down he was tackled? What if he had not put the gun down?

That's the whole point. Only when a gunman does not have a gun is he really tackl-able. Would Besen have tried it if the gunman still had his gun in hand, and was still pointing and firing it? Of course not. So the idea that he wants to devalue the ability to respond with a good guy's gun is absurd.

It'd be nice if a newsperson interviewing him asked just that:
    "Ted, if he hadn't put down his gun, what would you have done?"

"Um, erm, ahh..."

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    It brings to mind the report on violent assaults against LEs. Several instances were reported of an officer not recognizing his/her partner, or "losing them" and not relating how a BG responded to all players, not just the closest officer. I think Ted may have "tunneled out" some events. No surprise, no particular fault.
    The fault comes in when he begins to shoot his mouth off about the lack of utility of good guys responding with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    The fault comes in when he begins to shoot his mouth off about the lack of utility of good guys responding with guns.
    Oh, I would say he honestly believes it. I would be curious as to how the school dealt with the involved parties, though. Maybe there is good reason($$) for playing down the firearms..........

VIP Member
    Two questions. 1. What caused Peter Odighizuwa to put his gun down, Ted? Could it have been the appearance of two individuals with guns pointed at him? 2. What is a gunman after he puts is gun down? A former gunman. So, Ted, you did not tackle a gunman you tackled a former gunman who had disarmed himself as a result of two other Good Guy gunmen pointing guns at him. Oops! That brings up a third question. What do you call someone who tackles a former gunman after two persons with guns have caused him to lay down his gun? Idiot? Glory hound? Sheep? Liar? Criminal? If the law worked properly he would have been charged with assault.

If nothing else is evident, these statements prove that Ted Besen doesn't have a clue.
    Ted Besen bristles when politicians suggest that armed classmates could have stopped Virginia Tech gunman Seung-Hui Cho.
    Their guns had no effect on Peter.
    There seems to be a logical disconnect here. Does Besen not understand that Cho's classmates having guns and using them would have had an effect on Cho? He claims that his classmates guns had not effect on Peter Odighizuwam, but others think they did. If Peter had not put down his gun Besen would not have tackled him and the other two students might have had to shoot Peter. I expect that would have had an effect on Peter!
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

wonder if anyone ever asked Peter about this??

After all, wouldn't his word kind of be final...

Links