Really angry and frustrated about greedy shooting range

This is a discussion on Really angry and frustrated about greedy shooting range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just picked up my GLOCK 22 yesterday and had to take it out shooting today. The guy who sold me the gun (at a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Really angry and frustrated about greedy shooting range

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Angry Really angry and frustrated about greedy shooting range

I just picked up my GLOCK 22 yesterday and had to take it out shooting today.

The guy who sold me the gun (at a store, not a private sale) mentioned a range I used to go to but which now forbids any outside ammo or targets be used. Actually, I brought up the range and he told me that he thought that enough local shooters got pissed off about the policy that they rescinded it.

Well, I went to this range, in Delray Beach, Florida, and found out that no, they did not rescind the policy, and the $60+ worth of ammo that I planned to feed my GLOCK was "contraband."

There is another range way down south of here, an hour's drive away, that allows outside ammo. I have gone there twice and like the place and the owner, Bill Brown. (I think it's called American Gun and Shooting Range.)

Well, this place in Delray is just so full of BS that they all have brown eyes.

When I first went there some time ago and discovered the policy, it was explained that they needed to protect their range from people bringing in steel core ammunition. The guy showed me a backstop section that had perforations in it. Okay, fine. But why not exercise the prerogative that you stipulate on your sign, that "All bags may be searched," and once you determine that I don't have steel core ammo, I can use my Winchester target stuff?

Nope. That would give lie to their real reason, which is, they want to sell you a load of Speer Training Ammo at $14.95 per 50 rds.!!!!

And a dozen targets for $2.50!!

Plus, the range time (which does not appear to be limited) is $10. (I consider that high. Other places are are around $6-8.)

So today, as I walked in with my bag, the guy behind the counter asked if I was shooting. I said yes, and he asked if I was aware of the policy about outside ammo. Well, I had noticed that the sign was still in the window since last time I was there; I had been crestfallen to read that because it meant that the rumor from the other gun shop was false.

I told him that yeah, regrettably, I know about the policy. I told him I thought I'd heard that it was rescinded, and that I really dislike it. He immediately launched into an "it's not us" schpiel. I said, "Well, then who is it?" He said . . . "The county."

I said, "The county? What, you mean it's a LAW?" (obvious falsehood)

He muttered something about, ". . . law, ordinance, Idunno. But all the Palm Beach County gun ranges have to do it."

"Have to?" BS! WANT to. They charge an exorbitant price for range ammo and then give any of a number of BS excuses why they do so. No honesty here.

Oh, and wait till you read this: Gun prices.

I just bought my G22 for $529. Guess how much this shop in Delray wants.

$599! And on the tag, they have the "down from list" price: $729!

They had an HK USP40 there for $829! Can you believe that? And the HKUSP Compact was even more, something like $879!

I saw a Surefire X200 handgun light for $250. Dunno how that compares, but it seems pretty damned high. There was a Springfield XD40 Tactical for $649, I think it was. (I was tempted to write down the prices to tell you all, but I demurred.)

This place is unreal. Trying to fleece gun owners. Honestly, the shop has an EXCELLENT selection of stuff, from guns (pistols, rifles, shotguns) to knives, to lights and other stuff. They just are WAY OUT OF WHACK WITH THEIR PRICES.

But at least I got to put 100 rounds through my GLOCK 22 before work, and now I know I can count on it. Everything about firing the gun went flawlessly. I even had some good (for me) groups at the range I was practicing at (25 feet). Tactically sufficient, I would say. Not gonna win me any contests, but will save my life if needed.

Anyone who wants to discuss the specific shop with me, you can feel free to PM me.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    sad to say, that's becoming more popular, and I've heard the "it's not our fault, it's a law" excuse before too.

One outdoor range near me is $18/hr (yes, per hour) per person, no outside ammo, no outside targets, no exceptions.

Now, it is a nice range from what I can see, but I refuse to pay that much to go shoot, especially with ammo and targets on top of the range fee.

I'm waiting for some range to get the bright idea to charge a fee for each outside gun you want to shoot.

Thankfully, there are still some shops that don't try to squeeze every last penny out of their customer base.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Dang. That sucks. I'm sure glad that I drop ten bucks and get to shoot any of my weapons, up to rifle at 200 yards with any ammo I want to bring for as long as I want (as long as their open that day). Only restriction is on the tactical range, closed to all except IDPA Club or LEOs, which has restriction on certain ammo and requirements on frang ammo on steel targets. Crud that really sucks.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I'm a member at an indoor range, no ammo restrictions or anything crazy like that. I pay $200 per year and use it every week, sometimes twice. If you figure a low attendance of 50 visits then that is $4 per visit for a range with automated target programs and AC.
    I was a member of an outdoor range but my membership lapsed, they are only open Friday - Sunday and I would miss weeks if my schedule was full those days.
    I would not go to a range that had ammo rules, and I would tell them why if asked.

VIP Member
    I told him that yeah, regrettably, I know about the policy. I told him I thought I'd heard that it was rescinded, and that I really dislike it. He immediately launched into an "it's not us" schpiel. I said, "Well, then who is it?" He said . . . "The county."

I said, "The county? What, you mean it's a LAW?" (obvious falsehood)

He muttered something about, ". . . law, ordinance, Idunno. But all the Palm Beach County gun ranges have to do it."

"Have to?" BS! WANT to. They charge an exorbitant price for range ammo and then give any of a number of BS excuses why they do so. No honesty here.
    I'm the kind who would make a comment like, "If you don't know whether it's a law, ordinance, or what I guess you don't know the content of it either! If you don't know the content of it you can't even convince me that it exists anywhere except in that pea brain of yours."
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    Wow, glad I don't have range fees or restrictions up here. MI has plenty of state land that is free to use. May be cold or rainy, but then so is real life scenarios.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

That rule sounds rediculous, I agree, but in my neghborhood, I pay $14.95 for practice ammo on average.

My range, on the other hand is $40 bucks a year for a membership and unlimited shooting time, indoor and out.

Geez, and I thought TacPro was bad with the $15/day non-member price. Of course, with the $5/day member price, I can make a membership pay for itself easily if I can afford enough ammo.

Of course, the fact that it's pretty much anything reasonable goes, (no AP on steel targets, minimum ranges for rifle on steel, gun must be holstered or pointed at a berm when not properly cleared, no swiping brass from the buckets, (they don't care too much what you pick up, but once it's in the buckets, it's theirs) etc.) so I can practice draw and fire, double taps, rapid fire, shotgun, carbine, whatever, pretty much makes up for it being all outdoor ranges.

OTOH, they say I can't try to qualify on their 1,000yd range with a 1911...or a crew-served weapon. Spoilsports.

Irefuse to use a range that will not let me use my own ammo. I think the range is being very greedy. If they keep this up maybe another range will move in and put this clown out of business. As for his prices on guns go he has to be out of his mind . This sounds like this guy dosen't care who he screws.
    Last edited by Tom G; April 26th, 2007 at 07:50 PM.

you may want to drop a line to some of the manufacturers an let them know about the range's price gouging policies. i know surefire is especially mindful about who's selling their product; most dealers charge the same as all the others do for surefire flashlights. if you can't take legal action, maybe corporate action will do it.

I shoot at a range that is pretty much for shotgunners but they have a pistol range and a 100 yard rifle range. You pay 100 bucks a year and you can shoot trap, five stand skeet, or pistol or rifle and you have to pay 5 bucks for the clays but pistol is no charge. The pistol range is generally empty and you can set up tactical courses of fire or whatever you wish. It is very relaxing to go there and have the whole place to yourself. Plus it is a club and they have meals once a week featuring pheasant, and quail or dove or whatever steak or food they cook up for 7.50. I am keeping it a secret but it is very discriminating about membership.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Ron
    The problem is that all of the indoor ranges in Palm Beach County, as far as I know, have the same policy. So if we want to practice, unless we are willing to travel really far, we have no viable choice. There is an outdoor range in Indiantown which permits your own ammo. It is a bit of a trip, but I do go there from time to time.

And, when I questioned them about the policy, I got a story about insurance.

Unfortunately, the one range that did permit your own ammo closed last year.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Oh, Jeffrey, you've punched one of my buttons, and not in a good way.

There is a range here in Tulsa, America that is just as ~!@#$#@!@#$ as the one you describe: gotta buy a membership, gotta pay a range fee, gotta use "approved" ammo.

If the "approved" ammo you use is their "in house" brand (on which they say they have a "killer" price, which is more for their FMJ than for brand-name JHP)- -ONCE YOU BUY IT YOU CAN'T TAKE IT OUT OF THEIR BUILDING.

They've also advertised an "indoor rifle range" that is 25 yards and for which you cannot use anything more powerful than a handgun-caliber carbine.

Ugh.

We just have to refuse to go to places like that and badmouth them to everyone you can. That's the only way to stop it.

There are GOOD ranges ran by good people who aren't out to suck people dry using stupid "rules" or other results-oriented contrivances of lucre.

Look for them and find them. In my area Happy Hollow (in Sapulpa) is one such range. "The Bullet Hole" in Kansas City is another (next to Hodgon powder, btw), "The Shootist" in Denver (Englewood) is another.

Good ranges. Knowledgeable, friendly staff. Not ripoff artists.

There are others, and I'm sure there are some in your neck of the woods. Find them. Use them. Tell others about them.

That way we might be able to run the !@#$#@#$%^% out of business, and hopefully they'll starve to death. Or at least into a coma.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

ONCE YOU BUY IT YOU CAN'T TAKE IT OUT OF THEIR BUILDING.
    Wow, how is that enforced?
    I guess they had people bringing in the old boxes with cheaper 'real world' ammo in them.

VIP Member
    American Indoor is good from what comments I heard. Also Markham Park where you can pretty much shoot whatever you want except incendiaries and no target that might resemble a human being.
    I heard that WPB will expand their public range in the near future so there might he hope for you.....in 2-3 years
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links