Hysteria alert: Oh my God, he's got a gun! (In a holster)

This is a discussion on Hysteria alert: Oh my God, he's got a gun! (In a holster) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pb.../NEWS/70426013 Off-duty officer with gun prompts lock down The Associated Press FAYETTE - Upper Iowa University was locked down Thursday after a student reported a ...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pb.../NEWS/70426013

Off-duty officer with gun prompts lock down
    The Associated Press

FAYETTE - Upper Iowa University was locked down Thursday after a student reported a man with a gun, later determined to be an off-duty police officer visiting the school as a guest.

He entered the building and they noticed he had a gun, university spokeswoman Sheila Miller said.

The incident happened about 11:30 a.m. at Colgrove-Walker Hall, the school's liberal arts building.

Miller said Fayette police told the university to send an e-mail alert to faculty, staff and students, and all buildings on campus were locked down.

Miller said the university followed its safety policy and conducted a campus-wide sweep. Officials then verified the identity of the police officer.

The university has been working on its safety procedures for several years, Miller said. Officials held a mock incident on campus involving bombs in a dormitory cafeteria on April 14 - two days before the massacre at Virginia Tech.

We had all local emergency personnel in Fayette County come out - ambulance, fire, police - and we had a scenario and we re-enacted it. It was just to tell us where the holes are and what we needed to improve on and just to prepare us for an incident. This is one of our procedures - to lock down the campus.''

Miller said she didn't think the Upper Iowa campus was on edge because of the shootings at Virginia Tech, where a student gunman killed 32 people and himself on April 16.

We don't feel on edge or threatened here, but somebody did see a person with a gun and reported it. We took proper measures, Miller said.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Off-duty officer with gun prompts lock down
    I've always wondered what a "lock down" means, in practical terms, at a large, open university campus. Or, can a determined attacker simply waltz from corridor to building to enclosed killing zone with abandon? What prevents exactly that, during these supposed "lock downs"?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    It keeps the targets of the lunatic from running away.

If I recall correctly what I read about the Virginia Tech shooting, the university wasn’t able to implement a formal lockdown in response to the threat. It may not have changed the outcome much if they had. One of the first actions the shooter took was to implement a lockdown of his own by chaining the exit doors closed.

I’ve always wondered about the effectiveness of a lock down as a defensive tactic. Anyone with evil intent who is willing to do a little advance planning could likely defeat most interior locks using methods similar to the ones the police use in executing no-knock warrants. Then, as was the case at Virginia Tech, the victims would be trapped in an enclosed space with no easy means of escape. The phrase, “shooting fish in a barrel” comes to mind.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    It keeps the targets of the lunatic from running away.
    Uh, yup. Didn't Cho effectively "lock down" the chained-up room he was in? Fish in a barrel, indeed.

That and the fact that on a 26000 acre campus, there have got to be 500+ doors, or more. Those are all going to get locked pronto? How and by whom? To say nothing of the folks caught outside when that "lock down" occurs. And, if victims can exit via windows, an attacker can nearly as easily enter via one (if on ground floor or 2nd floor, depending on phys. architecture).

Hm. Imaginary, informal "lock downs". Even real ones. Hm.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Green View Post
    Ive always wondered about the effectiveness of a lock down as a defensive tactic.
    Its called "barricade", and it only works if you are armed, and are willing and able to kill whatever comes through the access-way with promptness.

As Rob72 points out, a lockdown is only effective as part of an armed defensive response. But if you have an armed presence, does a lockdown really buy you that much? If you don’t have an armed presence, does a lockdown buy you anything at all? Isn’t the hindrance to the shooter offset by trapping the victims for him, if he is able to defeat the lockdown?
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

VIP Member
    May I ask Bumper if we have a similar system in place? I mean, if somebody with a gun sits in front of the computer and logs in this board, is the board designed to send a mass email/pm to all members?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    May I ask Bumper if we have a similar system in place? I mean, if somebody with a gun sits in front of the computer and logs in this board, is the board designed to send a mass email/pm to all members?
    No it works the other way. If someone doesn't have a gun notification is sent to the staff.

"Lock down" is just a phrase that makes people "feel" safe. Sort of like what the TSA does every day. As pointed out it has little to do with any real security.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

My son teaches at a middle school.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Uh, yup. Didn't Cho effectively "lock down" the chained-up room he was in? Fish in a barrel, indeed.

That and the fact that on a 26000 acre campus, there have got to be 500+ doors, or more. Those are all going to get locked pronto? How and by whom? To say nothing of the folks caught outside when that "lock down" occurs. And, if victims can exit via windows, an attacker can nearly as easily enter via one (if on ground floor or 2nd floor, depending on phys. architecture).

Hm. Imaginary, informal "lock downs". Even real ones. Hm.
    They institute a lock down too if there is trouble. My son pointed out to them that the school is one level with windows along the outside wall of most classrooms. All a BG would have to do is walk around the building outside and shoot in.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

He entered the building and they noticed he had a gun, university spokeswoman Sheila Miller said.
    Holy Hell in a Handbag, good thing they noticed the gun, I mean just the fact that he is a male also makes him a potential rapist because he's packing something else in his pants...

Meanwhile Sheila Miller is a potential prostitute as she is duly equipt for that as well...

VIP Member
    Miller said she didn't think the Upper Iowa campus was on edge because of the shootings at Virginia Tech, where a student gunman killed 32 people and himself on April 16.

We don't feel on edge or threatened here, but somebody did see a person with a gun and reported it. We took proper measures, Miller said.
    Yeah right & I've seen pigs fly...................

Buckle up people, the next several months will be full of instances like this..............& the anti-gun crowd will use it as an excuse to NOT allow guns on campus.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    As I understand it (and it seems to happen frequently in S. Florida), "lockdown" involves locking school doors and not allowing movement through the school, or in and out of it. I guess it's to allow police intervention and keep things from getting confusing. Do I think it's useful or good practice? No, not at all. A better practice would be to allow law-abiding adults who are so licensed, to carry personal arms for the defense of themselves and their students.

But no . . . The hysterical anti-gun response is that any solution involving guns cannot be considered.

Links