A message to the men....

This is a discussion on A message to the men.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was surprised when my wife took a pistol safety course last year, but in a strange way. She fired both 9 mm and .38, ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A message to the men....

Lead Moderator
    I was surprised when my wife took a pistol safety course last year, but in a strange way. She fired both 9 mm and .38, I figured she'd be after my SIG 239, but she said her favorite was a 357 revolver with a 6" barrel! I found out later the reason for that is she doesn't feel she has the strength in her hands required to jack the slide!!

In the next couple weeks she'll be watching the "required" state tape and getting her card to buy her own pistol....... I'm thinking of steering her toward a Lady Smith in 357 (Lima?). As to the cleaning, she's already stated that she wants to also learn how to clean and maintain. I hope she's going to really enjoy shooting.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

2. Remove Ads

I told my wife to shoot her friends .45ACP before my 9x19... either way she didn't like them, but her girlfriend also had a .22LR pistol.

My wife asked what she should shoot and I told her to try them all, we had the following on hand at the time, .22LR, .38 spl, 9x19, .40 S&W, .357 mag, & .45ACP...

I have no problem with her shooting a larger calibre than me at all, yet she only seems to like the .22LR, and I have no problem with that. She doesn't carry BTW...

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I think everyone should start shooting with a .22 or similar rimfire. It's not a cheuvanistic thing, but purely utilitarian. Rounds are cheap and available, recoil approaches nill and you're gonna learn how to clear failures. I learned how to shoot rifles and pistols with .22's and slowly worked my way up and as a result have no flinching problems and I learned the mechanics of good marksmanship independantly from learning to manage recoil. I think that's a good thing. My girlfriend loves to shoot, but doesn't like recoil, I attribute this to the fact that some of her first shooting experiences (with a previous BF) were with heavy recoiling magnum handguns. Perhaps if she would have been encouraged to start with the ol' .22 and master that before moving up to the hand-cannons she wouldn't have developed the recoil-shyness. When I teach anyone to shoot I start with the rimfires, regardless of age or gender. If they want to shoot larger calibers I say "fine, just as soon as you've put a minimum of two bricks through that .22 and are comfortable and competant with it.". Why, because by then you will have learned front sight focus, consistant grip and trigger control enough that it won't go completely out the window when you have to deal with recoil.
    Last edited by blueyedevil; April 30th, 2007 at 04:30 PM. Reason: grammar

Lead Moderator
    My girl doesn't like cleaning them, but I do.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    When my wife decided that she wanted her own handgun, we went to the local gun shop and she handled almost every revolver and semi-auto in the display case. I just sat back and watched. (I know when to keep my mouth shut.) If she had a question, she either asked me or the shop owner. I had let her shoot an XD9 that I had at the time and she had handled it very well except for having a little trouble racking the slide. She finally settled on a Taurus PT-111 Mil-Pro with a stainless slide. When she finally decided, she looked at me and said pay the man. My reply was a very respectful "yes Ma'am".
    No way in the world would I try to tell her what she should shoot or try to influence her. I'm just glad she likes to shoot.

Lima,

As for cleaning...I can only speak for one woman... She never cleaned them...never wanted to know how...wouldn't even to take'em apart and put'em back together....and that's just the kitchen, living room, and her computer desk! LOL!!!

Seriously, she liked to shoot, but after the fun was over she was content to let me gripe at her for not helping me clean the weapons. She did not want to learn any PM routines, either.

Now, that's just one person's experience with just one other person.

Michael

Four days without one of these:
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

VIP Member
    You know one of the things that is consistently missing from the factors considered by the ".22s for women" crowd? It's the gut-level realization that not all women looking for a gun are rank beginners.

It gets really (really, really, really, really) tiresome to explain to the guy behind the table at the gun show that I'm not a beginning shooter, and that I do know what I am looking for. And to do this again at. Every. Single. Stinking. Table.
    Urgh, do I know that feeling. I've practically stopped going to gun shops, because if I don't get a condescending attitude from the clerk, I'm getting it from a busy-body, know-it-all customer who insists on showing the little lady how it's done.

Or I get the Oh, hey look at that little lady pick up that there big gun. Oh, I think she likes it, snicker snicker, nudge, nudge. I even got that attitude at the TOPS knife table at the SHOT Show.

Or I get the vendor who prods me towards every mirror-finish, pearl-handled, pastel wonder on the table.

When I go to the gun show, there's certain tables I frequent, certain tables I ignore, and I order stuff online.

It's very unfortunate that many women's first experiences with firearms are around men with attitude or ignorance. Many times those women never pick up a gun again, or end up believing the same ignorance and think they can never handle anything bigger than a .22.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Urgh, do I know that feeling. I've practically stopped going to gun shops, because if I don't get a condescending attitude from the clerk, I'm getting it from a busy-body, know-it-all customer who insists on showing the little lady how it's done.

Or I get the Oh, hey look at that little lady pick up that there big gun. Oh, I think she likes it, snicker snicker, nudge, nudge. I even got that attitude at the TOPS knife table at the SHOT Show.

Or I get the vendor who prods me towards every mirror-finish, pearl-handled, pastel wonder on the table.

When I go to the gun show, there's certain tables I frequent, certain tables I ignore, and I order stuff online.

It's very unfortunate that many women's first experiences with firearms are around men with attitude or ignorance. Many times those women never pick up a gun again, or end up believing the same ignorance and think they can never handle anything bigger than a .22.
    Another sister to preach it!

Even now that I'm working BEHIND a gun counter I get asked, "Do you shoot?... REALLY? I mean REALLY shoot?"

No, I just decided to work here because I think guns are pretty.

When I lived down in Florida with my brother we went to a gun show and then shooting every single weekend, and at almost every single show I was told by one jackbutt or another not to touch, that that gun was too big for me, my brother was asked why he brought a girl to a gun show, I was condescended, belittled, told to leave the guns to the men.

The chip on my shoulder has since, mostly, been removed but a few remnants remain for those few idiots I still run into.

Oh well, I enjoy proving them wrong when my target is hanging next to theirs and my groups are better.

Lima, there's a good T.Shirt on cafepress.com that might be worth wearing in the store...

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/gun/-/p...t_/fpt_/c_360/

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Good post!

My wife has a .357 Blackhawk. Bigger then mine.

Story of my life!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Lima, there's a good T.Shirt on cafepress.com that might be worth wearing in the store...

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/gun/-/p...t_/fpt_/c_360/
    I like that shirt!

My husband and I were going through some of their shirts recently. They have got some good ones. I think I might have to make a purchase or two.. lol

Thought you might, I like the tote, might get it for my wife's range bag.

pax
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes

Oh well, I enjoy proving them wrong when my target is hanging next to theirs and my groups are better.
    Let me say again (for the guys reading this) that most gun guys are good guys and most are trying pretty hard to get it right even when they trip over themselves.

Had to start out like that because I'm going to confess to the same unholy glee as limatunes when I have opportunity to outshoot a yammermouth.

Years back, I asked a mentor of mine what she did or said as an instructor when she had a male student who just wouldn't listen to her. She looked thoughtful and admitted that there are a certain number of men who simply never would be able to "hear" instruction given by a woman, but, she added, "The ones who are reachable usually listen a lot better after you outshoot them."

It's one of the many reasons I really like the "tell 'em, show 'em, have 'em do it" brand of instruction. Each of these steps reaches a different learning style, which is why we work that way. But the "show 'em" step does not merely demonstrate the skill for the visual learners -- it also establishes instructor credibility.

Not to mention how satisfying it is ....

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    unholy glee

Unholy glee... I like that!

I agree though... MOST guys are understanding and are great and open minded.

But every great once in awhile there is that ONE guy who thinks he's all that and a bucket of cheeseburgers and it feels SO darned good to put him in his place.

A long time ago when I was just starting to get into handguns and I was still living in Florida with my brother, he hosted a HUGE shooting day with his entire EOD team.

There were three girls there that day (myself included) the other two were girlfriends of two team members.

I was the only girl shooting.

One of the guys had just purchased a full size 1911 and was bragging on his shooting ability (he was shooting at MAYBE 15 yards).

My brother teased him about not doing so well and told him that I could probably outshoot him with his own gun.

Not wanting to let such an insulting challenge go unchecked he said, "FINE! I'll compete with her."

I was reluctant to be stuck in the middle of such an argument but I had no choice.

They ran up two fresh target, gave one mag to me, the other to him and he got the first shots. Then I was up.

I emptied the mag and my brother started DYING in laughter. I hadn't even looked at the target yet and through his tears of joy he said, "My little sister out shot you, man."

I was not very liked by that guy after that, but it sure was fun.
    Last edited by limatunes; May 1st, 2007 at 12:20 PM.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    My wife owns a 38 revolver but shoots anything I own.Recoil is
    an issue when it's 44 spl or a heavy 1911.She has her eye on
    my glock 26.Of course I share!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links