A message to the men....

This is a discussion on A message to the men.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Lima and pax : YOU GO GIRLS !! My wife ccw's a Detonics in .45 , her duty gun was a Browning HP with a ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: A message to the men....

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Lima and pax :

YOU GO GIRLS !!

My wife ccw's a Detonics in .45 , her duty gun was a Browning HP with a mod or two to reduce trigger reach ( she is a small lady but wanted double stack for duty ) . She loved my FAL but the way its set up ( for me ) the stock is to long for her , so i wound up with a Rock River AR ( with an a2 fixed stock ) , the next thing i know i had to replace it with a tele stock so it will fit her ( and i am not fond of tele's but you ladies can be persuasive and i can live with a tele for the " good graces " .

The ladies in our life may well come to us and ask " What gun do i want ? " since we are big manly men who hunt mammoth with a stick . This is fine and strokes the ego , but our answer is ( or should be ) : I dont know , I cant even choose a gun for a buddy , but hey lets go try some and see what will work for you , I will help you do that . Then pay attention to difficulties the lady may encounter , If she can not grip the slide enough to rack it , ok that is a down side but maby can be addressed either by an appliance ( a cocking tab secured ) or by a modification of technique or gun tuneing .

Trigger reach can be addressed within reason , ect. If she likes a gun let's address how to make it work , not address how not to . Most likely she wont want a .500 mag or .44 Desert eagle and for the same reasons you wouldnt want one for defensive use . The Ladies are smart as hell , and will see the woman specific issues to any firearm or firearm/holster setup faster than you will . This goes for inital training also .

Many " Rentition techniques " are male oriented , and need to be modified for the female body ( no not only the sticky out parts , but the different center of gravity also ) . Listen to the Lady , and Think about what she just asked before you answer any question . When we started out we all got " bad " advise , and rude answers from folks who should know better , lets not perpetuate it by passing the same " Knee Jerk " reactions on to anyone who wants to learn .

Over the years i have learned more from " students " both male and female than i ever have from instructors .
    Last edited by P95Carry; May 1st, 2007 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Paragraphs rock Bob ;)
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

My young bride has no problems at all with any firearm. Her favorite is her S & W 10-5, but also enjoys shooting my .45s, especially the Ultra CDP II. She really likes the AR-15 and the Uzi, as well.

For the range portion of her CCW qualifying class, she used her FN-P9. She drew extra looks when she laid out all her gear neatly from her range bag, including 3 extra mags, speed loader, shooting glasses and ear muffs. After seeing her shoot, the instructors asked her to assist with the rest of the qualifiers. I'm very glad she's there to watch my back!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    A long time ago when I was just starting to get into handguns and I was still living in Florida with my brother, he hosted a HUGE shooting day with his entire EOD team.
    You brother's EOD?? As in wears "The Crab"?

What service? Why didn't you say so? That makes you practically family!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

My wife shoots her Glock 19 better than I do, and she'll clean it...after a bit of prodding. She doesn't like the feel of the 1911s, but she's emptied a few boxes of .45 through the Glock 30...it's just not her 1st choice.

She wants to use the ASP baton if someone breaks in...stress therapy :-)
    now if I could only convince her to get her CCW all would be perfect.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    since we are big manly men who hunt mammoth with a stick
    You have to use a stick?

me
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    The ladies in our life may well come to us and ask " What gun do i want ? " since we are big manly men who hunt mammoth with a stick . This is fine and strokes the ego , but our answer is ( or should be ) : I dont know , I cant even choose a gun for a buddy , but hey lets go try some and see what will work for you , I will help you do that .
    I have been asked this question recently by guys and gals alike in recent months. One was even a husband and wife who are looking to get into shooting for defense. I offered to go out to the store and help them look but yet they have not decided to take me up on it yet. The couple got a quick recomendation since they pressed for an idea of a starter gun of a .38 or a 9mm but I recomended the .38 because they admitted they would not shoot much. They are trying to decide if they need to buy a gun at this point.

Another friend was told If you decide to buy I am willing to go and help you find your gun. It wont be mine so I cant pick it.
    Last edited by me; May 1st, 2007 at 05:24 PM.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    You brother's EOD?? As in wears "The Crab"?

What service? Why didn't you say so? That makes you practically family!!
    Lima's "at the shop" so I'll fill in...

Her brother is Navy, was in pretty much top of his class....got married and dropped. Apparently his new bride at the time didn't want him to get blown up. He is now getting ready to PCS back from Rome.

VIP Member
    I have always wanted a lady to let me coach her on how to respond to sales people of any kind who are stupid and insulting. Since I have only coached my wife and she was a success I am going to share the way to do it with any and all who want to use it.

1) Remember that you are the customer. That means if you walk the money walks. This means that in reality you are in charge.

2) Make a simple inquiry. Here is a sample, but you can create your own. "Excuse me, but do you earn your money selling guns or doing comedy? If it is doing comedy you are going to starve to death. If it is by selling guns, drop the comedy act and do your job." I have found that most people tend to think with their pocket books and a simple reminder that unless they change their act their's won't get any thicker usually brings them back to earth.

3) As soon as their attitude changes reward the change by asking to see what you want to see. If the item is not provided post haste, turn and leave. No discussion, no comment, no nothing. As you walk away the person behind the counter sees not you walking away, but dollar signs.

4) If you want to you can go back to that person and give them another chance, but don't do it for at least an hour. When you go back you may find that this person is a natural idiot and the lessons did not take. If so, walk away instantly.

If you try this method remember results vary depending on the bone density of the skull you are trying to crack. Also remember that another kind of reinforcement to provide is stopping back by to show the individual that you actual did by a gun. This is especially powerful if the gun you bought is the exact model you asked to see originally. The reason, besides the unholy glee, to do this is to fix in the mind of the individual that he has lost a sale. Your next trip to the gun store or gun show will likely get you a different reaction from this individual.

Have fun.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    Lima's "at the shop" so I'll fill in...

Her brother is Navy, was in pretty much top of his class....got married and dropped. Apparently his new bride at the time didn't want him to get blown up. He is now getting ready to PCS back from Rome.
    I'd say that's a shame, but it was his decision, so few of us make it, and it's such a great field. Real close. (None of us ever think we're going to get blown up! That's part of our weirdness.)

On the other hand, as strange as it seems EOD is one of the very few military jobs where you can walk into MILPO and say "I quit"! I only saw it done once and it really confused the Personnel folks.

Just noticed that you guys are in Chester County...... That's where I had my first carry permit, way back about 1970.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

JD
    Administrator
    I'd say that's a shame, but it was his decision, so few of us make it, and it's such a great field. Real close. (None of us ever think we're going to get blown up! That's part of our weirdness.)

On the other hand, as strange as it seems EOD is one of the very few military jobs where you can walk into MILPO and say "I quit"! I only saw it done once and it really confused the Personnel folks.

Just noticed that you guys are in Chester County...... That's where I had my first carry permit, way back about 1970.

They told him if he ever wanted to come back just say the word.

He's moving into another "interesing" field, so he's still getting some of what he wanted.

I always liked the EOD guys. Pretty laid back for people who handle lots of H.E.

Senior Moderator

Yeah, he was top of his class, his "Crab Pot" was eager to see him succeed and go onto other things.. A woman ruined him..lol.

After he got out of EOD and went back to IT for two years he realized what a mistake he made and wanted to go back. They wouldn't take him because he was too high in rank.

So he tried to go SEAL, wouldn't take him there either.

But he got something he wanted.. He's PCSing back to the states and if going to be in the RIVRON3, or the Riverines.

He's very excited. He always wanted to do something both physically and mentally challenging and now he's pretty much hoping his wife accepts it..lol

and now he's pretty much hoping his wife accepts it
    This thread has gone from men subjugating women as it's initial subject, to women subjugating men...
    So which is it Limatunes?

I know, I know, as I always say at parties in our house.

"I'm the boss of this house, my wife lets me say that."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    This thread has gone from men subjugating women as it's initial subject, to women subjugating men...
    So which is it Limatunes?

I know, I know, as I always say at parties in our house.

He's HOPING.. HOPING she accepts it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    The Man Song
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Miggy, that was really funny. I don't usually watch much flash animation but that was really good. Thanks. I'm going to have to learn the lyrics, when I get done with the dishwasher and folding the laundry.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links