Squib load

Squib load

This is a discussion on Squib load within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Had a squib today on the range. All my own reloads. First 1 ever. Luckily I had experienced this situation before and cleared the pistol. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squib load

Lead Moderator

Squib load

Had a squib today on the range. All my own reloads. First 1 ever. Luckily I had experienced this situation before and cleared the pistol. Sure enough a bullet stuck in the barrel. Wasn't too bad to tap out. Be careful out there everyone.

DC Founder
    I have yet to experience a squib. I hope I never do....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Red face

Not ever experiencing that, nor talking to anyone who has, can you tell me how you knew it was still in the barrel? I am assuming perhaps the "bang" wasn't quite as loud? Shooting multiple times at one target, I don't always see a new "hole" after each shot, so watching the target isn't always a good indicator.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I've had one with an M-1 carbine shooting reloads.
    I was double tapping and when the squib happened I wasn't fast enough to stop that second shot.
    OUCH!!!!
    The entire front end of the barrel went boom. Front sight, bayonet lug and the barrel from the muzzle to about 2 inches back, was exploded.
    Somehow the bolt didn't fly back into my face.
    I never want to go through that again.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Prospector-I purchased some .38 special reloads to just run to the range and fire a few. The .38 round that hung in the barrel was not loud nor distinct as a normal .38 being fired. I can only say listen for the expected sound and if its muffled stop right there and keep the gun pointed downrange. Of course the recoil will be light to none. I have only had one hang in thousands of rounds when I shot often but I guess thats all it would take to ruin your day.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Red face

FortyFive....thanks for explanation!! Hope I never experience it, but like bikers sometimes say...there are those who've had a wreck and those that will.

VIP Member
    I've had a few, mostly shooting .22. The sound is different, kinda muffled and wimpy, and when nothing hits paper, then that's a really suspicious sign.

Here's one down the barrel of a 1911.

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

0I think i have had 5 now been loading since 93 and have loaded so much i wore out my press and am picking up a progressive...

had a weird one the other day heard a phffft and could hear the bullet bounceing downrange

As said ive had them more in 22 than anything else

Assistant Administrator
    Guys - squibs = bad juju!!!

Let me post the thread I started over on THR a while ago - guy at local club had this happen ....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have been meaning to borrow this and take pics of it for ages. It belongs to a buddy who is president of my IDPA club. It happened in 2003 and was due to a squib not being detected during a frenzied course of fire. Glock 22 in .40 S&W cal ... and you'll see this is a KKM barrel - which he had bought so as to use his lead bullet reloads. No crit' of the barrel - nothing would have handled this I expect.

It was assumed to be just an FTF or similar and - with a rapid slide rack, another round was loaded and fired!! The two bullets had an argument and pressures became, shall we say - excessive!! The mag was forcibly ejected from the grip - but the slide stayed put!! It had to be cut off tho to get at this barrel. The frame is intact and Bill's hand suffered very little - quite remarkable.... in fact no injuries to him or those nearby - just an addition to the laundry inventory!

I had not seen quite such a burst and so thought it well useful to get pics and show them, at last.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    The only thing I can think of to say about those pictures would be censored.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    If i had a squib that got stuck in the barrel, that would probably be me.

Thanks to training my muscle memory, i clear type one malfs without even thinking about it.

Lead Moderator
    Lots of squibs have cause barrel bulges rather than splits. Neither is good. Usually with a semi auto you get a second chance to firure what happened , since the slide won't cycle usually. Mine didn't, no bang just a pfft. I dropped the mag. waited about 40 seconds then racked the slide ,cleared the chamber and looked down the barrel. didn't take much tapping on my cleaning rod to dislodge the bullet.

Red face

Aside from .22 squibs....are most others you know of from reloads? I've noticed .22s that sometimes the bullet is loose in the case....I don't use them. I am now wondering if those that have experienced squibs in other calibers did so because of a reload that might not have had a solid bullet seating. Brass, unless resized tends to expand a bit. What say ye ?

most of the squibs ive had the powder looked contaminated the bullet left the case but powder didnt burn and had turned color ive seen this 4 time 2 in 38's i loaded in 97 and sit when ya took case out powder was green wouldnt burn with a match but all the other 598 of them shot fine was on the last 50 i ran into these 2

Then had 2 in a 45 both had cases full of powder and just enough to push bullet out of case but powder never burned i had loaded these the night b4 rest of the box was fine

1 i just didnt put powder in as there was none behind in the case or bullet and the primer pushed it just far enough out of the case to clean it

Hi Prospector-I have reloaded a few thousand .45's and never experienced a squib but had maybe 3 high primers. With a high primer you get "click" when the hammer drops, the high primer just got seated really good and chances are if the round is placed back in the chamber it will fire. The very few times it happened to me I hold downrange for awhile in case it decides to go off, drop the magazine and eject the round. If the round looks good and the primer seems seated I will put it in the chamber and shoot it. I always inspected the gun after any strange occurance for just in case.
    Not a squib story but a good one anyway, I was shooting my S&W 4506 and squeezed the trigger nothing but silence. I thought what the hell!!! Happened to glance down by my feet and there are parts of a gun. Well, the aluminum recoil guide bar has a round piece crimped at the very end of it, it came apart and really mucked up the works. I had quite a job getting the slide open to drop magazines etc. nothing was broke but there I was with my 4506 in pieces.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links