What targets do you use to practice with?

This is a discussion on What targets do you use to practice with? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been using old real estate signs and setting them up with targets so I can go through my own set of moving fire ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What targets do you use to practice with?

What targets do you use to practice with?

I have been using old real estate signs and setting them up with targets so I can go through my own set of moving fire and cover drills out here in the desert.

I rarely ever fire at targets with my cc piece while stationary. Always moving and or taking cover to simulate a real life situation.

I found that using the backstop I can place the real estate signs at different heights and locations.

I have been looking at more reactive ( resetting) and longer lasting targets and I found this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=155844

this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=128214

and this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=613923

I figure two or three setup at different locations would be perfect. No changing paper targets and no wondering if I hit or not because there were so many holes in the target.

Has anyone used one? Can you tell me what the durability of these are? Can you give me any feedback or suggestions on that you have used i the past?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

I have a similar setup but not as complex. Mine just hangs one circle down. I bought a heavy duty one so I can use my .44 magnum on it too. I think I bought it at Cabela's if I remember correctly.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    http://gunsite.com/store/page18.html

The ones listed at the top. They're some of the best targets for training that I've ever used.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I'd really LOVE to get a few of these things.
    http://www.justshootmeproducts.com/i...PROD&ProdID=45

VIP Member
    I use IPSC cardboard targets (out line of torso) & steel poppers.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    What ever happened to just using these?

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...&cmArea=SEARCH

I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Cheap white paper plates.. One for the head, one lower for the heart/lung area. 9" dia, aprox. head and heart sized. I've killed alot of my old tee shirts this way. A couple of bucks for 250 or so, not much cheaper than that.
    Be safe..

I just print mine. Not as expensive and always something new to sight in on. Scroll down about 1/4 from the bottom and you'll see.

http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf.html
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Senior Moderator
    Cats,

Just kidding I print mine,

Targets I print my targets not cats

I do have 6 cats, anyone want a kitten?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    I use old boxes and cut them up. I draw a human outline on it. I like the t-shirt idea.
    Dont know if anyone else does this, but I walk right up to the target ( about 4-5 feet ) draw and shoot. It really puts the upclose and personal attack in perspective since most attacks are close-up. Practicing on far away targets all the time just makes no sense to me.

I've used the first one you linked to and it works pretty well. FYI .44 Mag will dent the plates, even if it is soft nosed. If I had continued using the .44 the plate wouldn't have lasted long. Smaller calibers seemed to do OK on it though.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    I've used the first one you linked to and it works pretty well. FYI .44 Mag will dent the plates, even if it is soft nosed. If I had continued using the .44 the plate wouldn't have lasted long. Smaller calibers seemed to do OK on it though.
    Thanks for the feedback.

I use .45 185gr ball for practice in my sub compact and 230 gr ball in my 1911.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I use those snazzy paper grocery bags cut in half to match the IDPA targets. They come free with every visit to the food store.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

http://www.tuffsteel.com/

I bought a target stand from these guys. Inexpensive, sturdy, light weight and easy to carry and set up. I think they are manufactured in Dillon, CO.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpmiv View Post
    I just print mine. Not as expensive and always something new to sight in on. Scroll down about 1/4 from the bottom and you'll see.

http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf.html
    Thanks for that link. I have it book marked.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links