A good day of breaking clays.

This is a discussion on A good day of breaking clays. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Even though I am a "full time" student, I only have class three days a week this quarter (hey, I graduate at the end of ...

Thread: A good day of breaking clays.

Talking A good day of breaking clays.

Even though I am a "full time" student, I only have class three days a week this quarter (hey, I graduate at the end of it, and then have to enter the "real world" so I might as well enjoy a few months.), so one of my friends who was also off today and I decided to go break some clays. The weather was great, low 70's, not too cloudy, very little wind . So we made our trip about 30 miles to the state run Delaware Wildlife area shooting range. For anyone from Ohio who isn't aware, all of the state run shotgun ranges are free no permit or anything required , and the supervised rifle and pistol ranges are 5 bucks a day, or 25 for the year. Try to find a range in your area, its a good deal. (http://www.dnr.ohio.gov/wildlife/shooting/granges.htm)

We stopped at Walmart on the way out, had a nice discussion with the knowledgeable older gentleman behind the counter, who really wished he was joining us at the range instead of working all day. Picked up 100 rounds each and a couple boxes of clays, and off we went.

He brought along his 12 gauge Stoeger Condor O/U, and I had my Stoeger Coachgun also in 12 gauge along with our handy red plastic clay thrower. There were a few shooters over on rifle and pistol, but we had the shotgun area to ourselves for the hour and a half we were there (last time we went we had two guys start to set up literally right in front of us on the line. )

I didn't shoot anywhere near up to my potential, so I had to buy the beverages (non alcoholic of course) on the drive home. It had been probably 5 or 6 months since I shot clays, and I had almost forgotten how fun it is though . Something very gratifying about a good hit that disintigrates a clay in the air.

I don't think my Coachgun with its 20' barrels is ideal for clays, but it still held up its end pretty well when I did. I had also never tried a SxS for clays, so that threw me off some.

Hopefully I'll get in some more practice over the next few months and get my skills back up to where they were when I did it once a month before college and before I owned handguns, because its nice to hit over 90% for a day. It was also very nice to get out of the city and away from school and all the stress it brings.

So, thats my story, no pic's sorry. But for anyone who is looking for something to do some nice sunny day, grab a friend and box of clays and go break em. My friend and I both got away at about $20 for the day, for 100 shells and 90 clays each, its a good way to spend an afternoon.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Quite agree re a good relaxation . I have all but stopped skeet and trap since my son had progeny and got so busy at work ........ plus the range went to steel shot (mandated by authority) .. so cost got silly.

I still load my own shells and do relish a chance now and again to 'scat 'em"

Glad you had a great time .. one day in future when you are making your fortune you'll look back on these days of wine and roses .
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Clay games are some of my favorite things to do. Today was a perfect day to shoot clays. I mostly like to go in the early fall.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yeah, steel shot would make cost a bit more painful, thankfully we can still use lead.

There is a very nice facility by the state range that has trap and skeet set ups, but they are a bit more pricey than free. But its still nice to go there now and again and do a bit more formal shooting

Glad you had a great time .. one day in future when you are making your fortune you'll look back on these days of wine and roses .
    No wine and roses in college, more like cheap beer, but I think I know what ya mean. No fortune making in my immediate future, already have a job lined up and the pay money wise ain't too great, but it should be extremely rewarding.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Sixto, early fall is always a good time, also because you can get ready for bird seasons. But the weather in Ohio has been great this week (makes campus much more scenic).

Had I had rifles up here we would have taken them out too, too nice of a day to spend on an indoor range where you have to pay for time though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Ohio Wildlife ranges are great. I go to Spring Valley Wildlife alot. Free to shoot clays and an archery range, and yes you can't beat $25 for a years access to pistol and rifle ranges.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Shooting clays are my favorite target shooting activity. Unfortuanately I don't have any to load the launcher most of the times I want to go shooting. So, I'm a little jelous.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Now that you are addicted to the pleasure of clay pigeon shooting, it's time to start saving up for a good clay sports shotgun. A recipe for preparing clay pigeons is to marinate them in good bourbon for 2 hours, throw the clay pigeon away and drink the bourbon.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Spring Valley is the range I have gone to the most, its the closest one to where I grew up. I've spent many many days there. Its nicer than the Delaware one too.

Dakota, I wish we had a mechanical launcher, actually I do and its collecting dust in the attic of my parent's house. We used the cheap red hand launcher they sell at Walmart, it works ok as long as the thrower knows what he/she is doing.

Tegemu, I do need a good sporting shotgun, all I have right now is a Coachgun, and a Mossberg Persuader, both with 20 inch barrels. The plan of just drinking the bourbon gets enacted several nights a week here at college, we already have that one down.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    Spring valley is pretty nice, I havent been back since the big re do.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The one thing that I miss about Spring Valley from before the redo is that I used to take a box of clays and use them as my targets on the 50 and 100 yard ranges. It was nice to use something more reactive than paper. And to play games like who can hit the clay most with a .22 before there isn't a big enough piece left to shoot.

Can't do that with the new backstop. But for 25 bucks a year, its good enough for me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Links