Pregnancy and Shooting...

This is a discussion on Pregnancy and Shooting... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Where's PAX when I need her? Before the rumor starts let me squash it right now. NO!! I am NOT pregnant! However, trying will come ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pregnancy and Shooting...

Senior Moderator

Pregnancy and Shooting...

Where's PAX when I need her?

Before the rumor starts let me squash it right now. NO!! I am NOT pregnant!

However, trying will come sooner rather than later (I think we are both hoping sooner).

SOOOOOO, since I am an avid, weekly shooter, I decided to look into pregnancy and shooting?

Why am I not surprised that there is NOT much definitive information on the subject.

There's a lot of theory and speculation but no definite studies have been done (at least that I have found).

General consensus is that it is bad for the baby (both the lead exposure and the noise (at least after 24 weeks when the ear has developed)). Also the emotional state of the mother at the time of the shooting can have either a negative or positive effect on the baby depending on whether the mother enjoys the shooting or is afraid by it (in that case our child would be happy as a clam).

P.S. Can't clean my own guns either..

Anyway.. So, what is a woman who's used to shooting every week for the longest time, to do for nine months with no shooting allowed (except for the occasional SHORT trip to an outdoor range with lead free rounds while wearing light body armor to protect the baby's little tiny ears)??

I wish there was more information about this out there, and good advise would be welcome!

(and maybe some of the guys with shooter wives thinking about having kids would have some info for yourself as well)

This is the only real good article I found on the subject: Pregnancy and Shooting
    Last edited by limatunes; May 2nd, 2007 at 10:26 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I think in this case, you would do well to look into some class III dealers. By using a suppressed, fixed barrel semi-auto, and firing lead-free ammunition, you would cover all of your bases - and acquire a new toy to boot!

Administrator
    I wouldnt do it, to much risk with the lead and other "stuff" in the air, not to mention the noise. The particulants cling to clothing etc long after you have left the range.
    I think I would invest in an airsoft to keep skills up for those 9 mos.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I wouldnt do it, to much risk with the lead and other "stuff" in the air, not to mention the noise. The particulants cling to clothing etc long after you have left the range.
    I think I would invest in an airsoft to keep skills up for those 9 mos.
    Now that's not a half bad idea...

JT
    This was discussed at length on some forum. I can’t remember which one, it may have been the High Road. A doctor chimed in at some point and said the noise is not an issue. The baby is well protected in that regard. The main concern was exposure to lead, but that risk can be minimized.

Having said that…my wife is pregnant and we both agreed that it was not worth the risk when it comes to sound or lead exposure. So she is not shooting until after the baby is born. This is our second one, and she also gave up shooting the first time also.

Each couple has to come to their own decision. We decided it wasn’t worth the risk. Especially since there is still disagreement on the issue about it among medical personal, Giving up a few months of shooting is a small price to pay, when it comes to protecting the child.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I have seen an airsoft Glock replica that was quiet enough to shoot in a friend's basement... I believe they are available in 1911 style too. Maybe I'll look into it so I can practice at home. BTW it's awesome that you love your baby even before she is conceived.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Giving up a few months of shooting is a small price to pay, when it comes to protecting the child.
    I certainly agree. Both hubby and I already agreed that it wasn't worth it. That's why I'm looking for alternatives so that I can at least keep my skills. Nine months without practicing is a pretty long time.

So I'm looking for ways to "practice" without actually shooting.

Drawing, dry-firing, Sixto's idea about the airsoft.

Something to keep me up to speed while I'm waiting for the little one to emerge.

You're right.. the risk isn't worth it, so what else can I do?

JT
    I think the airsoft idea is the best bet. Get a high quality one, that feels and shoots like the real thing.

My daughter is currently learning to shoot a handgun using an airsoft. We treat it just like the real thing. She always follow the 4 commandments, etc.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Assistant Administrator
    lima - as someone mentioned - it might have a THR thread. I'll check and see if I can find it but no promises.

I have some med' background and I think IMO it is best avoided (the shooting part LOL) ....... airborne lead surely is to be avoided and I have some concerns re high decibel levels, altho I'll bet ''jr'' would actually not suffer from actual air pressure waves of course - too nicely cushioned and attenuated.

The flippant side of me thinks - well - get the new lil' person used to gunfire early - save some time later

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Try some of these - lots of search hits. Hopefully too Pax can drop in later ..........

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...ight=pregnancy

Hope these might help a bit.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    I bet your skills will improve with the airsoft and no real range time. Being able to shoot anytime in your living room if you wish is bound to have a good effect.

Another note if you do have kids, dont wear your range shoes (or your work shoes Lima) in the house. You will be tracking in lead and other nasty stuff into your home, and right into the carpet Jr. plays on.
    Also, while at the store or range, dont drink out of alum. cans... lead clings to alum. like a magnet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    I think the airsoft idea is the best bet. Get a high quality one, that feels and shoots like the real thing.

My daughter is currently learning to shoot a handgun using an airsoft. We treat it just like the real thing. She always follow the 4 commandments, etc.
    Here's something you might like, Limatunes...

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwol...l?prodID=20203

It's an officer sized 1911, probably as close to your carry piece as you can get. It's 770g, or about 27oz, and holds 18 airsoft BB's. Then again, there's always this...

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwol...l?prodID=22411

Last edited by P95Carry; May 2nd, 2007 at 11:14 PM. Reason: spacing out items

Senior Moderator
    Dang, that thing is realistic looking! Very cool!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    lima - as someone mentioned - it might have a THR thread. I'll check and see if I can find it but no promises.

I have some med' background and I think IMO it is best avoided (the shooting part LOL) ....... airborne lead surely is to be avoided and I have some concerns re high decibel levels, altho I'll bet ''jr'' would actually not suffer from actual air pressure waves of course - too nicely cushioned and attenuated.

The flippant side of me thinks - well - get the new lil' person used to gunfire early - save some time later

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Try some of these - lots of search hits. Hopefully too Pax can drop in later ..........

Hope these might help a bit.
    Thank you much!! I started to read some but need to get to bed, but great information. Thanks again.

pax
    limatunes ~

Yep, there's at least one baby-catching doctor over on THR who says not to worry about it. Could get you contact info for him if you want it. I'm not particularly convinced, but he makes a convincing case.

I do personally know at least a couple of women who have shot throughout their pregnancies with no (apparent) ill effects; the local midwife also says not to worry about it & so that's what they chose. (They're not allowed to shoot at FAS, though ... )

If it were my baby? I'd not shoot for fun or for practice, unless my life were in danger. Unless I were absolutely, totally, 1000% convinced it was harmless, it would not be worth the worry to me!

The risk of lead exposure during pregnancy is very well-documented. If I were thinking of getting pregnant again (never again for me, dang I miss those years and would have more if I could ... sigh) -- where was I? Oh. I would go get a check up and, before going in, call to let the doctor know I wanted a baseline blood-lead test. If your numbers are already high, you'll know to bring them down before trying for a baby, and if they're low, you can breathe a sigh of relief.

I don't think lead exposure is anything to mess around with during pregnancy, in part because of the way the body treats lead -- as if it were calcium. Given how badly a pregnant body wants calcium, I think that's kind of a red flag. So if you do decide to risk some limited shooting, make sure someone else picks up brass & cleans the guns & all that other stuff, and do all the good change-yer-clothes, wash-yer-hands&face, no-shoes-in-the-house stuff too. It's worth the extra caution, IMO.

(Oh, note for people with rugrats: after a trip to the range, take your shoes off before you walk into the house, eh? Lead on shoes soon becomes lead on floor, then lead on the crawler's hands and then into the baby's mouth it goes ...)

Re practicing while pregnant. Agreed about airsoft & dryfire as folks said above.

The other thing I would do is, if your carry gun does not already have one, put a laser grip on it. A laser is a tremendous aid in accurate dry-fire, allowing you to get far more feedback than dryfire alone gives you (eg, you can watch the dot & make sure it stays steady during the trigger pull; you can do your drawstroke, freeze, and then actuate the laser to be sure your shot would be on target; and lots of other similar stuff). Not as good as live fire, but better than nothing and it does make dry fire a little less cumbersome.

You can improve the quality of your dry fire practice and keep a good mindset and most of your shooting skills with purposeful visualization and meditation. Mmmmm, I probably have a book or two around here somewhere about that -- but I betcha there are some folks on here who use meditation & visualization and can tell you how to go about doing it.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    My opinion is that even though the risk might be minimalized, minimal is still not worth the risk.

Think of it this way, if your going to temporarily give up your coffee (or another caffinated beverage of choice) for your little ones well being, why would you not temporarily give up your target practicing which would expose you to potentially more harmfull substances/effects to your unborn child?

As regularly as you do practice allready, I don't think the small time off from live fire is going to drastically effect your ability should the need arise. It sounds more like you are afraid of giving up something that you really love for a little while.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links