FTF with Taurus PT 24/7 Pro

This is a discussion on FTF with Taurus PT 24/7 Pro within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have put about 700 rounds through my 24/7 with not one problem. Now I am having FTF and smileys on the bullet nose. I ...

Thread: FTF with Taurus PT 24/7 Pro

FTF with Taurus PT 24/7 Pro

I have put about 700 rounds through my 24/7 with not one problem. Now I am having FTF and smileys on the bullet nose. I have cleaned the magazines extensively and even smoothed the edges of the magazine follower with sandpaper. It happens with the first four to five rounds and then it doesn't do it with the last five rounds ( I have the 12 rd mags but only put 10 in ). I have usually used WWB 230gr but there was too much powder residue. So I switched to Remington green box and that is when the problem started. I can't believe that it would be the ammo that is causing this. Anybody have any good ideas because I am at a loss here. Thanks
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO its a combo of the specific ammo and the feed ramp , you can just break the edges on the ramp with fine grit sandpaper , or change ammo , or both . the wwb and the rem ball ammo have different curves on the bullet its self , this is part of the issue you face . tolerance stack may be another issue , but even a home done " throat job " should cure it . My advise tho , should you choose to break any edges that could cause this ect.. is go slow and go fine grit , do more polishing than metal removal .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by bh153dc View Post
    I can't believe that it would be the ammo that is causing this.
    A gun can develop a certain "diet" and get to "like" it. Many (most?) guns do. It's one of the reasons why I get a good trigger/action job with full polishing each time I acquire a new carry gun. I prefer to feed it the diet I want it to like. That said, even over 5K rounds or so, the ramp can need polishing yet again on such a gun. Can depend on the rounds fed, any jams experienced that scratch up things. So, it could be the ammo causing it, yes.

At 700 rds, it's not likely to be springs, though for grins you could swap to higher-strength springs in a couple of the magazines, then compare against the "control group" of other magazines. If you see a strong pattern favoring the new springs, then the mag springs may be weakening. Though, at 700 rds that seems strange. If the issue varies by magazine, only certain magazines, then it might well be just those units (either a follower that's sticking with a burr, or crud inside the magazine tube [clean those puppies every few outings, followers and all], etc).

Data points: An original 1994 Browning BDM 9mm loved Remington Golden Saber JHP and some cheapo reloads I had a shop draw up. After 35K rds, though, it loved anything and everything. My CZ P01 9mm started with a perfect trigger/action job, including polishing the ramp, extractor, edges of the chamber. It likes most ammo, but does exceedingly well with longer rounds (such as DoubleTap JHP +P Gold Dots, Federal Hydrashok Tactical JHP +P+, but jams like nobody's business with Corbons and a couple others that are notably shorter than the DT and FHT). Every gun's a little different in terms of when/where it's finicky.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Polishing the ramp might be a good starting point. I did my old Cougar when she wouldn't eat WallyWorld's 45. I used the dremmel, a polishing wheell bit and rubbing compound. No more problems after that.

BTW... if you are going to use this way, be gentle. I don't recommend but buffing but 10 seconds at a time & check for smoothnes before proceeding again.

And IMPORTANT: Folow the contour that is already there... that means, no matter what way you use to polish it, don't do it so you change the angle of the ramp.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Thanks everyone. I think I will try a different ammo and play some more with the magazines. I have looked around and wish I could find beefer magazine springs. Redneck, not to sound stupid but what is a home done " throat job "? But I will look at the feed ramp again.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Links