US AG Gonzales: More campus guns aren't answer

This is a discussion on US AG Gonzales: More campus guns aren't answer within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Attorney General Alberto Gonzales has your typical anti gun mindset. http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT Gonzales: More campus guns aren't answer By TIM TALLEY Associated Press Writer OKLAHOMA CITY ...

Thread: US AG Gonzales: More campus guns aren't answer

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales has your typical anti gun mindset.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Gonzales: More campus guns aren't answer

By TIM TALLEY
    Associated Press Writer

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said Wednesday that having more guns on college campuses is not the way to prevent campus violence like the massacre at Virginia Tech.

Since the April 16 shootings that left 33 people dead, including the gunman, at Virginia Tech, some have suggested that the carnage might have been lower if a student or professor with a gun had stepped in.

"I don't think that is the answer quite frankly," said Gonzales, who was participating in a governor's task force to study safety and security on Oklahoma college campuses.

Instead, authorities should enforce existing laws concerning the ownership and use of handguns, he said.

"We can't guarantee complete security," Gonzales said. "We need to see what we can do as a government - on the federal level, on the state level - to ensure the safety of our students."

He said the government also needs to work closely to make campuses safe while still respecting individual freedoms and privacy.

"In a society where we really value individual freedom and respect privacy we're also concerned about public safety," Gonzales said.

The task force, which included discussions among law enforcement, mental health and higher education officials, focused on getting and sharing information about possible campus risks and how to respond to a campus attack.

"Is there additional information that we need with respect to individuals who may pose a threat to society?" Gonzales said.

In response to the shootings, Virginia Gov. Timothy M. Kaine signed an executive order requiring that anyone ordered by a court to get mental health treatment be added to a state police database of people barred from buying guns.

The Virginia Tech gunman, Seung-Hui Cho, had been judged a danger to himself by a court in 2005. But he was not added to the database because he was not committed to a hospital, instead he was ordered to get outpatient mental-health treatment.

Gonzales said authorities should know whether a mentally ill student may be prone to violence but their privacy rights should also be protected to avoid discouraging them from seeking treatment.

"We know that treatment is very, very effective," he said.

Federal officials must work closely with states to prevent and respond to threats, Gonzales said. "They know best what the problems are, and they know best what the solutions are," he said.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Yeah, well, more US AG Gonzales isn't the answer either. Shades of Ashcroft, this guy's burying civil rights, privacy, search & seizure limits (wiretapping), the world's perception of the U.S.'s moral standing whatsoever. One of the most serious threats to survival of this country's core principles is this man's political evisceration of the Constitution by secret whim. Hang him.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Some of the VT victims need to sue AG Gonzales

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Some of the VT victims need to sue AG Gonzales
    We need to drop him off unarmed in the middle of Compton. I bet his views change after that.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I knew he was a chunk before with his "torture isn't torture" and "wiretapping is A-OK without a warrant because Dubya sez it's to fight terrorists" crap.

It was recently reinforced with his "I don't remember firing those prosecutors, but it was OK 'cause they weren't true believers" stuff.

But this really takes the cake. Sinker or floater, he needs flushing.

I didn't like Ashcroft much: I differ hugely with many fundamentalist types on a great many issues.

But I think it was on his watch, and probably on his word (at least his consent) that DOJ adopted the "individual rights" approach to the 2A. So I tip my hat to the man. I really do (even if he doesn't like to be in photos with statues that have boobies).
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Assistant Administrator
    Gonzales .. yeah - "I don't recall ....... "I don't recall ....... "I don't recall ....... "I don't recall ....... "I don't recall ....... "

The man has no credibility IMO .. and is sure not our friend.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Well he definately is not on my "Great Guy list" Mostly for the wiretapping and patriot act. Feel good measures that just chip away at basic foundational stuff.

Although a bit of history lesson... During Clintons term he fired ALL 93 federal prosecutors. About the same time the affair scandal was being investigated. All those postions are political in nature and all can be fired at the drop of the hat (Serving under the pleasure of the president)... Man should of just ponied up to it and moved on. It is viewed as wrong when a president does such things but history has shown it happens again and again. From both parties, not just one.

Albert is a lame duck....soon he will get the "Death Vote of Confidence" that others before him have recieved. (Brown, and Rumsfield for starters)
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    "We can't guarantee complete security," Gonzales said. "We need to see what we can do as a government - on the federal level, on the state level - to ensure the safety of our students."
    He needs to review his supreme court rulings. Namely the one concerning that the government (i.e. police) does not serve as our personal body guards.

He said the government also needs to work closely to make campuses safe while still respecting individual freedoms and privacy.
    Simple, quit infringing on our 2nd Amendment right and allow us the ability to adequately protect ourselves in all places at all times. Then you won't have to worry about disrespecting our individual freedoms and privacy.

"Is there additional information that we need with respect to individuals who may pose a threat to society?" Gonzales said.
    So let me get this straight. Are you planning on declaring us all "terrorists" so that you will then have the means to gather the information you need?

"We know that treatment is very, very effective," he said.
    Obviously, it is not.

Federal officials must work closely with states to prevent and respond to threats, Gonzales said. "They know best what the problems are, and they know best what the solutions are," he said.
    Any comment in the way that I really want to say this could get this thread closed and get me a spankin from an admin. So I will refrain, other than to point out that this is an oxymoron stated by a moron.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

+1 SonofASniper......reading my mind

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    To be honest, in one respect he's right just having the firearm won't help. But he stops way short of what may work. A comprehensive plan and training for those that protect themselves and are sheepdogs have been shown to curb violence in states where Americans are allowed to be citizens, not subjects.

The Reagan principle of more freedom, not only worked in defeating the USSR but works to protect the American way.

But I guess that's what you get from people that live in a place where the water turns people into totalitarians.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    You cannot prevent a derranged individual from killing people, period. So let's craft our wording carefully.
    An armed student might have not let the body count pile as high. A weapon provides a chance of survive, nothing more. It is not a panacea. But Gun-Free is a guarantee that the nutjob will be successful in his work.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Number of guns irrelevant...

Gonzalez, who appears to be way over his head in his present role, makes the usual anti gun logical error of equating safety with the "number of guns".

It isn't the number of guns that matter, it is the nature of the people with the guns that matters. This is elementary, but every anti gunner seems to miss the point - more criminals and crazy people with guns is more dangerous - more honest, mature, trained people with guns is less dangerous.

The problem at VT was that all the honest, mature, trained people were disarmed by the school rules, so that only one crazy criminal was free to do tremendous damage. If we could just trust the normal licensing system in Virginia to do its job, the situation would be reversed. The crazy criminal would not qualify to even buy a gun, and the honest, trained, mature people would be armed and could protect themselves and their colleagues.

Why do supposedly smart people like Gonzalez have trouble understanding this?

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    It isn't the number of guns that matter, it is the nature of the people with the guns that matters. This is elementary ...
    Yup. 1 + 1 = 2. It ain't rocket science.

Why do supposedly smart people like Gonzalez have trouble understanding this?
    Evil, pure and simple, acting for an agenda whose goal is short-term power at the expense of the citizens, no matter what the cost. No matter the impact to citizens. No matter the cost to the country's future standing in the world. Even at the ultimate expense of the country's ability to continue to stand. That bad? IMO, yes.

Who says he's smart? He surely holds a position. He's Bush's "Texas connection," yes. That doesn't make him intelligent, or even smart. Not by a country mile. Clever? Politically astute? A good yes-man, gopher? In many ways, sure. But, smart, as a nation's chief law enforcement officer? I have yet to see it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Gonzalez and smart

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Who says he's smart? He surely holds a position. He's Bush's "Texas connection," yes. That doesn't make him intelligent, or even smart. Not by a country mile. Clever? Politically astute? A good yes-man, gopher? In many ways, sure. But, smart, as a nation's chief law enforcement officer? I have yet to see it.
    I was trying to be kind to him in my posting, but I also have serious doubts about his intelligence, based on his actions and statements. Lately he is looking like a bumbling fool.

Sponsored Links