Who is it?

This is a discussion on Who is it? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ah Inspector "Dirty" Harry Callahan. Makes me want to get out the DVD and watch them all again. We were quoting Dirty Harry just last ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is it?

VIP Member
    Ah Inspector "Dirty" Harry Callahan. Makes me want to get out the DVD and watch them all again. We were quoting Dirty Harry just last night in fact. I believe it was after I fessed up to some other folks I know who carry that I like to carry a 44.

I left out the 696 (44 Special), because it is an L-Frame versus an N-Frame S&W. Here is a picture of them as a group. Top is the 696 moving clockwise is the 27, 610, 624 and 629. Enjoy.

My wife just asked if we were taking them all out with us in a few minutes when we go shopping. Since I only have one holster for the group I guess I have to pick one.

-Scott-

2. Remove Ads

I am wondering: With the weight of these guns, and having no barrel to act as a counterweight/anchor, are we pretty much limited to thumb break holsters? I took a look at a couple Galco belt holsters, but they didn't do much for me. That, and I'd prefer a non-break if possible. Or maybe even a shoulder rig(though I question my flexibility/dexterity to get in and out of one).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott

I left out the 696 (44 Special), because it is an L-Frame versus an N-Frame S&W. Here is a picture of them as a group. Top is the 696 moving clockwise is the 27, 610, 624 and 629. Enjoy.
    Nice group, though I think the -27 needs some company

VIP Member
    The thumb break holster is the holster these came with in 1985. I was fortunate enough to find it with the gun. So I use it. It works well for me so I haven't really gone shopping for a new one. I am not a fan of shoulder rigs, so I can't comment on how they might work. I have a friend who uses a shoulder rig and likes it. He also carries a J-Frame revolver versus a N-Frame in a straight drop shoulder holster.

I agree that the M27 needs some 3" barrel company. It has company in the 4" barrel group. A M28 and a M29 Elmer Keith Commemorative. Other blued guns are my M29 Classic Hunter and M25 125th Anniversary 45 LC. You have one of my two Holy Grail guns in your 3" M29 (200 made in 1985). I would also love to get an S prefix M21 or pre-21. I will be working on these in 2006.

I'm moving to Missouri in August and will not be able to purchase a handgun for 6 months. Odd law, but at least MO recognizes my CHP from VA after I move. The other option was Kansas, but no CHP there.

I look forward to seeing some pictures of your M29.

-Scott-

Hmmmm... I was thinking of a 396 but I think I want a 696 now instead.

Actually I'm probably better off looking at the 396. I love the sights on it and it weighs NOTHING.

VIP Member
    Euclidean,

That and since they don't make the 696 anymore it is hard to find and expensive when you can find one. The one in my possession is on loan from a friend. Not sure when I have to get it back to him, other than "someday".

-Scott-

Actually Scott I've figured out that between my two leading choices I'm considering for my next carry gun, neither one is easy to come by and neither one will be cheap by the time I get everything that goes with it.

Something like a 3" 629 or a 696 is going to about the same price and about as easy to locate it seems. My local merchant of death tells me business is booming and he's never seen such a run on handguns.

I love my 629. Had it a couple of years. Crimson trace grips. Yahoo!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Actually Scott I've figured out that between my two leading choices I'm considering for my next carry gun, neither one is easy to come by and neither one will be cheap by the time I get everything that goes with it.

Something like a 3" 629 or a 696 is going to about the same price and about as easy to locate it seems. My local merchant of death tells me business is booming and he's never seen such a run on handguns.
    Isn't this always the case? They could barely sell them when they were released in the 1980's and now you can't find them.

-Scott-

Yeah if I could time travel I'd go back and tell myself to pick up a couple of things. Of course I'd have the money because I'd tell myself the winning lotto numbers and the outcomes of certain sporting events. The trouble is I'd be far too young to buy them...

Mag-Na-Port will customize your 29, 629, 24, 25 Smith for a nominal fee.OR if you wish, you can get one of theirs. www.magnaport.com/company.html I've had a 3" 24 round butt, and a 3" 629 round butt as well... I sold the 629 RB to my Son's Godfather, who still has it today..

One of a Kind

Scott tells me that this is in fact one of Lew Horton's specials(1 of 200?). Now she's mine and one of a kind:
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    Scratchy,

Someone scratched it all up.

Seriously a unique gun from an already pretty rare configuration. Congratulations on your acquisition.

-Scott-

Scott,

Can you ID these grips? Pulled them off and they both look like they're marked the same, but only the left is legible. The words are rubber stamped, and arranged in four slightly arching lines:

SMITH & WESSON
    HA?(screw hole)?n ?? Co.
    1-800-331-0??2
    Ext. 2?04

Are these SW made, or someone just playin with my feeble head?

VIP Member
    Scratchy,

That 800 # is for S&W. 800-331-0852.

I don't know much about grips. I can basically tell you if some factory grips belong on a certain gun, but beyond that I get lost easily. You may try calling S&W Customer Service and see if they can identify them. S&W hasn't made grips in a very very long time. Like most manufacturers they use suppliers.

-Scott-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links