Who is it?

This is a discussion on Who is it? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That carries a 3" SW model 29? Search didn't give me squat....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is it?

Question Who is it?

That carries a 3" SW model 29? Search didn't give me squat.

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    When I did a search I see that Bud White sold one and ccw had one as his first gun....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member

That would probably be me.

It is a 629 though. I am still on a quest for the 3" 29.

As soon as sweater weather arrives I go to a 3" 629 or a 3" 624. Strong side OWB 3:30 o'clock.

-Scott-

Where does one find a 3" 629 precisely? God I'd love to have one.

Assistant Administrator
    I'd love a 3" also!!! I have tho carried my 4" ... it fits the same rig as I use with M28-2. Quite a lot of gun to tote but - somehow ''reassuring'' to have on board!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Where does one find a 3" 629 precisely? God I'd love to have one.
    They are fairly uncommon. It took me over a year to find one. Of course once I purchased mine there were 3-4 more for sale. Just how it goes. They seem to come up in groups. Now the 3" Model 29 is even less common, and I have yet to find one when I have the funds to make the purchase.

I do have spies at all the "local" gun shops keeping an eye out for guns I'm interested in. This has worked well for me so far. Basically I get a call that something has arrived, I get a description and if I'm serious about it I'll ask if they can hold it until a specific time. Then I go look at it and if it's what I want I'll buy it. If it isn't I'll release it. This benefit is the one thing I'll likely miss when I move.

-Scott-

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I owned a 2 1/2 one in 1979. When I bought it I thought it was a Lew Horton model, but I found that mine was a straight SW.

Probably just either didn't have the right phrase, or didn't look close enough at the results.
    Anyways, I've got one on hold and was looking for holster/carry options...this ain't your average mouse gun

VIP Member
    I use a Galco belt and a S&W holster that was part of the Lew Horton Package in 1985. A good belt is key to carrying this somewhat heavy gun. The holster is more of a personal choice, mine came with the gun so I use itr and like it so far.

BTW I rarely carry magnum loads. Mostly 44 special. Shoots very well.

-Scott-

Just picked it up; I'll see if I can get some photos up in the next few days.

Lew Horton Distributors had a 3 in Smith 29 round butt run made for them.I do know they are out there, as I got a 3 in 629 round butt from them. I sold it to my Son's Godfather, who still has it. I think I sold it to him at Dealer cost back in 1989 for 359.00 Gawd.now you have me wanting one again.....IF I could find it..

Dunno if this one was originally a Horton gun or not. It is a -3 though.

VIP Member
    Scratchy,

Send me the S/N in a PM and I may be able to tell you potentially which of the 3" -3 runs it was in. If you have the box with the product code I can tell you without a doubt which model it is. Mine is a -1 from the 1985 Lew Horton Distributing run.

The -3 version covers 4 years and there were different runs each year. You didn't mention if it has an integrated compensator, which would remove the Carry Comp and Carry Comp II models. If it has a fluted cylinder then it is probably a Backpacker model. If the cylinder is unfluted then it could be one of the others to include the Classic Hunter I and Classic Hunter II made for Lew Horton Distributing in 1992.

There was also a 2 5/8 inch barrelled Performance Center run of 300 in 1999.

I carry mine under a light jacket or shirt and in cooler weather under a coat or sweater. I also have the 624 in 44 Special, a 27 in 357 magnum and a 610 in 10mm/40 S&W that are all 3" and use the same carry holster. I am hoping to add the 3" barrel 24, 29, 625 and 657 to my collection in the future. Some of the 2 5/8 in Performance Center models are on my nice to have list, but they are a bit spendy for my collection.

-Scott-

Here are some pictures:

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by scratchy wilson
    That carries a 3" SW model 29? Search didn't give me squat.
    You want something you can't find? Check these guys out!
    http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/Default.htm They do conversions. I'd love to have some of their stuff...if a really POOR high school teacher like me could afford it!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Cool A Star is Born?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    I rarely carry magnum loads. Mostly 44 special. Shoots very well.-Scott-
    That's pretty much what (IIRC) "Dirty" Harry Callahan said to new partner Tyne Daly in THE ENFORCER and she replied: "SO you like the PENETRATION?" LOL
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links