Colt series 70

This is a discussion on Colt series 70 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What does a New in Box Colt series 70 go for these days? I am thinking about getting one but the price is very high. ...

Thread: Colt series 70

Colt series 70

What does a New in Box Colt series 70 go for these days? I am thinking about getting one but the price is very high. Another thing is how do I know it is a series 70 for sure and not a reissue or a scam?

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    If I'm not mistaken the serial number prefix on the reproductions will be different from the original series 70 pistols.

Where's OD when you need him.

For a NIB original "vintage" series 70 your looking at atleast $1000.

I think the new production guns are in the $850- $900 range.

Administrator

Information

Information courtesy of THE SIGHT M1911A1
    CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE SIGHT.

The MKIV Series 70 Government Model Colt pistols were manufactured from 1970 to 1983 and have "70G" as a prefix in the serial numbers on the models made from 1970 to 1976.
    The models made from 1976 to 1980 have "G70" suffixes.
    Models made from 1979-1981 have "B70" suffixes and models made from 1981 to 1983 have "70B" prefixes.
    The Series 70 had, in addition to the Government model, a Series 70 Combat Commander, Series 70 Lightweight Commander, and Series 70 Combat Government.
    The Series 70 featured an accurizer barrel bushing for improved accuracy.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'd say over $1000 in unfired condition

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The Series 70 had, in addition to the Government model, a Series 70 Combat Commander, Series 70 Lightweight Commander, and Series 70 Combat Government.
    There was also a Series 70 Gold Cup, the target model of the gun with adjustable sights. I have one in unfired condition and factory nickel finish that I bought about 8 years ago for $750. Although I don't wish to sell it, I expect that it may be worth $1200 or more today, if that gives the poster a data point.

everyone is in the ballpark the repos are not bad guns either they just go cheaper than the orginal 70's

OD*
    Can't really add much to what the fellas have said already except, buy a new Series '70 repro for less money, if you plan to make it a regular shooter and or plan to customize it. On the '70 repros, look for the "71" prefix on the serial number.

The other thing is, Colt did not produce Commanders in Series '70 configuration nor did they ever rollmark any as such. To be a Series '70 it has to have the "Accurizer barrel" and the collect bushing, the Commanders had neither. Some will claim that when Colt used the "70" as a prefix, it makes them a Series '70, that is not the case. It is only a numerical prefix, you will find late model Series '70s with an "80" prefix, but they are true Series '70s and have none of the Series 80s additional parts.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Administrator

Thumbs up Thanks for the added info OD

The guy always pulls through in a pinch!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Can't really add much to what the fellas have said already except, buy a new Series '70 repro for less money, if you plan to make it a regular shooter and or plan to customize it. On the '70 repros, look for the "71" prefix on the serial number.

The other thing is, Colt did not produce Commanders in Series '70 configuration nor did they ever rollmark any as such. To be a Series '70 it has to have the "Accurizer barrel" and the collect bushing, the Commanders had neither. Some will claim that when Colt used the "70" as a prefix, it makes them a Series '70, that is not the case. It is only a numerical prefix, you will find late model Series '70s with an "80" prefix, but they are true Series '70s and have none of the Series 80s additional parts.
    Ha - I found my first one(70 gov model) in a pawn shop. Dummies didn't know what they had...I picked it up for $150!!!! And yes...I checked the nubmers it's a real original 70. Slide fit was even rather tight...no major burring areas or anything. Only thing I ended up doing was replacing a few bits and pieces like the recoil spring (but kept all the originals in a bag so I still have them). I've had folks at the range offer me upwards of 700 for it. Go figure. Needless to say if you know what you're looking for...you can find deals (err in my case steals) .
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

OD*
    You got a heck of a deal!!

I recently picked-up a 1978 Series '70 for $425 and thought I stole it, y'all beat me by a large margin.

~ Tiger McKee

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Does anybody know what year a 70 series Gold Cup National Match is with a serial number of 14XXXN70? I'm having trouble finding the N70 suffix referenced on the internet.

OD*
    It must be a post 1978, I can't locate it either.
    Call Colt at 1-800-962-2658, they will tell you the date.

~ Tiger McKee

Thanks, I guess that's the only way to know for sure...

1982 manufacture on your Gold Cup

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Does anybody know what year a 70 series Gold Cup National Match is with a serial number of 14XXXN70? I'm having trouble finding the N70 suffix referenced on the internet.
    According to the book "Colt, An American Legend" by R.L. Wilson, the first Colt Gold Cup Serial number of 1982 was 11067N70, and the first number of 1983 was 27051N70. So your gun was manufactured in 1982, probably about March.

In 1983 Colt ended production of series 70 Gold Cups and switched over to series 80 production, starting with serial number FN01000. The last series 70 Gold Cup produced was serial number 28674N70.

Thanks so much Pogo2! I guess I should buy that book.

Links