Benefits of multi-platform familiarity

This is a discussion on Benefits of multi-platform familiarity within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Limatunes recent posts made me think of this again - it's a far from original subject of course. I do tho encourage everyone, to lay ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benefits of multi-platform familiarity

Assistant Administrator

Benefits of multi-platform familiarity

Limatunes recent posts made me think of this again - it's a far from original subject of course.

I do tho encourage everyone, to lay hands on every darned gun platform you can. I have been lucky over many decades to have handled and shot most guns ... but still, even now ...... know that I can get ''caught out'' with something newer, that maybe has a new-fangled doodad.!

For sure, when gun shop involvement is in the frame, it is the perfect chance to familiarize with everything but, for those not able to follow that route - just borrow any and every gun you can when at the range ... and of course lend yours in return. I have been lucky enough to shoot a "D'eagle" 50 but it was at the time the first instance of operating one - it was both pleasurable and useful.

My thinking finally is based on the possible even if unlikely event - whereby you have to pick up ''any old gun'' to use for your defence, because your carry piece is not functional or even in wrong hands.

I include in this, revo's, for semi-only folks. While the revo is almost totally intuitive, it is worth noting that there is even something simple like the opposite directions for cylinder release, with Colt vs Smith!

Shoot well - shoot safe.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Yep, heard of a PD officer asking how you got a revo to shoot SA . He learned on semi's and never handled a revo before.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Chris , not only cyll release differances between S&W and Colt , but the rotation direction is opposite as well . Now granted this is only important if you are " speed stripping " or loading loose rounds , but none the less it needs to be considered . IMHO there are so many " manual of arms " that the best we can hope for is to be able to make a firearm go bang , and handle it safely . how many here could speed load a p7 HK , or a walther p99 , how many know that the walther ppk series has a slide stop ? Can you put the safety on a Mosin rifle and just where is it located ? Just what does the safety on a SMLE block ? How do you set the fire control on an original Mac 10 smg , and is the control seprate from the safety , where are each located ? . Do you need to secure the wedge on a colt style BP revolver with the screw , or can you just " poke it inn " and shoot ?
    Its good to learn about different actions , but you cannot be familiar with all of them imho . If you know enough to make it go bang , and enough not to point it where you shouldnt when it goes bang , well your well on your way to a lifetime of learning .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    True enough Bob - I doubt we can ever manage all. I do tho strongly recommend folks to lay hands on all they can - and that includes long arms too.

I teethed on Enfields in early 1960's LOL

I know one thing - even now, I can fiddle and fiddle trying to replace a Mauser bolt And I have several.

The cyl rotation yes - another factor even if small for the most part. I find when teaching on revo's that I draw attention to the machined ''lead-in'' for the cyl bolt - and suggest folks use that as a sorta ''arrow'' - as it always points in direction of rotation.

Even now with all the varieties I still eyeball that feature just to remind self Saves embarrassment LOL.
    Chris - P95

admittedly, I grew up on semis...Beretta, SIG, Glock, Hi-Standard .22, Ruger MkII, Kahr....I do not have much experience with revolvers.

Lead Moderator
    The more you know , the better off you are. I never knew much about 1911's till I got 1. they are a pain to field strip and re assemble if you don't know what you are doing.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sounds like an excuse to grow the collection..

"But honey.. I don't have one of these yet...."

Hmmm.. I wonder if that would work..

I'm a all semi guy as well, never owned a revolver... might be time to change that..

Assistant Administrator
    I'm a all semi guy as well, never owned a revolver... might be time to change that..
    Yep - all folks should IMO have had at least a bit of time on revo's ........ it all helps.
    Chris - P95

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Yep, heard of a PD officer asking how you got a revo to shoot SA . He learned on semi's and never handled a revo before.
    Very very few cops are gun guys. I wish I carges a doller for each time I have been called out to places to unload or "make safe" weapons found by officers. I have had to travel some decent distances because no one on scene knew how to unload whatever it was they had.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Yeah, know what ya mean. we had a few that were in the "know " on my dept. but most , guns were just something more on the duty belt.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    True enough Bob - I doubt we can ever manage all. I do tho strongly recommend folks to lay hands on all they can - and that includes long arms too.
    While we may not be able to know everything backwards and forwards, I think it wouldn't be that difficult to acquire familiarity with the major firearm families. The bare minimum would probably be 1911s, Glocks, and S&W revolvers for pistols, ARs, AKs, and bolt actions for rifles and Remmington pump action shotguns. Once you've got a bit of experience with those, start adding in other common types like the M9, XD, M&P, Colt and Taurus revos, M1A, FAL, SKS, Mini-14, Remmington autoloaders, Mossberg pumps and autoloaders, double barreled shotguns, etc.

This is definitely something I need to work on. Besides my own (rather meager) collection, I've only shot a few other guns. I've heard that some instructors reserve a portion of their class for all the students to trade off firing a magazine through each other's weapons. Maybe I need to suggest something like this to my local shooting group.

VIP Member
    One guy I went to FLETC with pulled the trigger on one the blank-loaded S&W revolvers issued to us by the staff....in one of the buildings that had polished marble floors. The BOOM was deafening....I yanked the gun out of his hand. He's feeble excuse....he never handled a revolver before.

Yes...this guy now carries a gun.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    As the firearms instructor , and range officer for a fiew agencys over the years it is true that most officers are at best apathetic about firearms . In all honesty tho firearms and firearm skills are the least commonly needed skill that an officer can develop . Granted if needed , they are needed bad , but its hard to get officers to take an intrest beyond qualification , or improve on the " tactical mindset " imparted by the academy , or whateaver the last course they attended with officer fred flintstone and deputy barny rubble LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Moderator
    I was fortunate enough to be able to handle just about every weapon used by Nato and Communist Block troops in the days of my youth when in the military.

It was there that I developed an appreciation for firearms. Even today, I am fortunate enough to be able to handle most of the newer handguns when qualifying people for CHL classes. That knowledge of guns does come in handy every now and then as occasionally someone brings a gun to class they they have never shot or are completely unfamiliar with.

Of course, having a fairly extensive collection of most types of rifles and pistols helps...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I agree Chris. I'm trying to decide between a CZ-75 and an Armalite AR-24 to expand my manual of arms (DA/SA & Manual safeties). Shot my first real (non .22) revolver a few weeks ago. It was a S&W .38spl trooper special. Beautiful trigger pull and almost no recoil (as many of you well know, the gun is heavy enough to properly crack someone over the head with).

Anywho. Chris is right. The more platforms you are familiar with, the more versatile you'll be. Not to mention it's a great excuse to expand the armory!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links