Who Needs A Chainsaw When A Rifle Will Do?

This is a discussion on Who Needs A Chainsaw When A Rifle Will Do? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bear with me and I'll explain this thread's title. Yesterday was spring clean-up day at my club's range complex. A lot of work must be ...

1943 - 2009

Bear with me and I'll explain this thread's title.

Yesterday was spring clean-up day at my club's range complex. A lot of work must be done after a long Montana winter, like repairing & replacing target stands and boards, cleaning up trash, spreading gravel and a variety of other tasks, including repairing vandalism.

Right away, we noticed several (6 to 8) trees blown down on the rifle range, around the 200 & 300 yard lines so some members went down with chainsaws to harvest some firewood. It turned out these trees were not winter blow-downs; they had been shot down.

The tree line borders the south edge of the rifle range, and the downed trees were a good 25-30 yards away from the target stands, well out of the normal firing lanes. The timber in this area is second growth Lodgepole Pine, dating from a 1929 wildfire, with an average diameter at breast height of eight inches, so it obviously took a lot of concentrated firepower to cut them down.

Our range is located in a fairly remote area and is not advertised by any signage on the nearest main road. It is gated, and only members have the padlock combination, but the range can be accessed on foot, so it's entirely possible that trespassers are responsible for this mindless activity. I'd hate to think that any club members could do something like this, but you never know, I guess.

I don't believe in gun control, but for the idiots that did this, I'll make an exception.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    That's... odd.

I don't really have much to say. Individually, a person can be kind, generous, and compassionate. But people as a whole, well... I tend to see the lowest common denominator.

We used to have Publick areas to shoot 9 miles out of Sultan Washington, all of that area has now been closed to firarms because people were going up there and shooting trees down. I personally found areas that 10 to 15 trees were blown down mainly from shotguns, lots of empty cases and trees completely blown apart. Really makes one sick to see this and realize there are people who care so little about the enviroment and what people will think of gun owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Right away, we noticed several (6 to 8) trees blown down on the rifle range, around the 200 & 300 yard lines so some members went down with chainsaws to harvest some firewood. It turned out these trees were not winter blow-downs; they had been shot down.
    I do that all the time *on my own place* when we need to clear a few trees. Beats the heck out of sawing, and provides some penetration testing.

My recommendation would be a couple of those digital motion-sensing game cameras. Get a few 2GB cards for each, and take turns going out there every 2-3 days to swap the cards and check over the pics.

Happened at a range near here too but the trees that were shot were on top of the backstop. One bullet ended up in a house on the next road over. No one was hurt. The outdoor range has been shut down for at least 6 months.

They know who did it. They were kicked out of the club and the police were notified. No charges were files because the police could not prove which of the 2 of them shot the bullet that ended up in the house.

There always has To be some wise guy Who destroys what other people work to make nice. I'm just kidding but those wise guys would make good running targets.
    Last edited by Tom G; May 6th, 2007 at 11:08 PM.

Ouch...sorry it happened on your own areas by outsiders. My grandfather used to hang his targets on a couple of trees (ON HIS OWN PROPERTY)...subsequently...they ended up being shot down. I thought it was rather Hilarious at the time. An old pine can only take so many 30.06's and .308's before it finally gives .
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Links