Picked Up a Smith 22 Today

This is a discussion on Picked Up a Smith 22 Today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had looked at it a few time been in the shop 3-5 weeks and got to admit it has the sweetest trigger of a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked Up a Smith 22 Today

Picked Up a Smith 22 Today

I had looked at it a few time been in the shop 3-5 weeks and got to admit it has the sweetest trigger of a 22A smith i have tried now sure if the first owner had trigger work or what but there is very little creep with crisp let off

One of the guys i shoot with every monday has one he bought this year and the trigger humbles you when you think you are shooting very well it had 3/4ths inch creep and what feels like a 7# trigger

Compared to the one i bought its scary i let the gent shoot it today and almost had to fight him to get mine back .. lol

Well the range trip was what i expected ran flawless and grouped very tiny

The grips work very well one had shooting and to my surprise i shot very well out to 25 yards one handed with it

Here is the pic

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Excellent semi Bud ....... grips look real comfortable too.

There you have some grin inducing very cheap shooting.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have always like S&W .22's, although I usually shoot a model 41. Sounds like a sweet trigger.

And you don't have to spend 3 hours trying to get it back together after you clean it like some .22's.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    My dad has a 22a, although his sport the plastic factory grips. The recoil impulse sure feels different than my old buckmark. Nice looking gun ya got there Bud.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I have one of the two toned 22As that I bought 5 or 6 months ago. I enjoy shooting it. It's very accurate and the trigger is really quite good. The ammo is cheap too.

Enjoy.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I thought about a 41 but the cost .. is it worth it ?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Maybe...........if ya target/ competition shoot with it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Well, I didn't buy "mine." It belongs to the OSU pistol club, and before that back in the 60's it belonged to the ROTC program (Since I'm an officer for the club and partly responsible for handing out weapons, no one uses it but me meaning no one screws with the sights.) It just got refurbished last year, probably the only time that has happened in its life. It gets cleaned maybe once a year with probably at least 3000 rounds a year through it. It's built like a tank and takes the abuse well, staying reliable, and very accurate, if I could shoot up to the capabilities of that pistol it would be amazing.

For a plinker not sure its worth the price difference, but like Rocky said, for competition, I think it could be.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Maybe one day ill buy one if i find a deal or shoot up to what i got ..

or i run out of other guns i want ..lol

Id love to try one though

Lead Moderator
    They are great (41's ) that is. I used one (borrowed from a club member)before I bought my buckmark. used to shoot bullseye when I was in high school.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    I have always like S&W .22's, although I usually shoot a model 41. Sounds like a sweet trigger.

And you don't have to spend 3 hours trying to get it back together after you clean it like some .22's.
    Sounds to me like someone got the short end of the stick, cleaning all the Rugers for the club.

C'mon... they're not that bad! I've gotten reassembly down to under 2 minutes if I take the trigger assembly out, and under a minute if it was just a quick strip.

No, I don't have to clean all of em, just re-assemble all of them when no one else can figure it out. They really aren't that bad.

And to make this post worthwhile and not thread-jack. Speaking of 41's they feel rather similar to a 5" steel 1911 in the hand, with the weight being about the same, and the trigger usually rather close. Although a conversion kit is probably cheaper.

Now that'll just make you want one more Bud. I need to run out and buy a Model 22 though, the local gunshop is selling the ugly baseline two tone for under $200.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    You guys who are more familiar with plinking pistols, how does the Beretta Neos compare to the S&W 22A? I have a 22A, but am considering adding another plinker for friends to learn on. Would a Walther P22 be a better choice for a starter pistol for folks who have never shot before?
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Dr.

Here is my semi-informed opinion on a lot of the popular semi .22 models.

Walther P22 - Can be kind of finnicky with ammo, the magazine release takes a little bit of getting used to. Accurate. It is DASA, so it has a pretty heavy stock trigger pull for DA mode, at 11 pounds according to the website. 3 Dot sights standard

NEO - Never shot one, but have seen one make very nice groups at club. I honestly can't stand the look of them, not sure how comfortable that grip angle would be. Website says single action but doesn't give a trigger weight, I would assume its on the low side. Target sights

Ruger Mark 2/3 - Reliable, accurate, easy to shoot, does have a Euro mag release, but that is rather simple to teach. Cleaning can be tricky but gets easier with time. I'm not sure I have seen a Mark 2 misfire, if I have it was because of a true dud round. Sights vary, but target sights are available.

S&W 22A - Also a goofy mag release, although if you get one with a good trigger they are nice to shoot. Target Sights. You have one, you know about it.

Trying to keep things as simple as possible, like the same types of sights, and if you are trying to train them on semi's in general, standard type controls seems like a good idea. They are all fine pistols, and in no particular order above.

I think for simplicities sake if I was going to buy one to train people with I would buy one the same as what you already have, maybe with a different finish or something so you don't own two of the exact same thing.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

As said walthersseem to be pick

The rental neos yes i know its a rental but it has had problems right out of the box

Ruger or smith is the way to go

I do have a conversion kit for my 1911 built up a frame with uber light trigger and everything and the kit has turned from a excellent kit to a POS groups are super tight when it runs..

Gonna try 2 last things before i bury it in back of gun cabinet and put 45 top end back on .. Help from the maker is non existent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links