Added a 2nd Ruger to my collection

This is a discussion on Added a 2nd Ruger to my collection within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have not been shooting for about a year. I went out to sight in my Bushmaster AR15 M4A3 last week and tried my hand ...

Thread: Added a 2nd Ruger to my collection

I have not been shooting for about a year. I went out to sight in my Bushmaster AR15 M4A3 last week and tried my hand guns. I have a Kahr K40 and a Springfield XD40 and could not hit my small stick on target at 7 yards. Man I was bummed. I brought out my Ruger SP101 and with one hand nailed my target with every 5 rounds.

I don't know what was wrong other than a serious lack of practice. I love my little Ruger SP101 (.357), so I stopped by Cabela's today and they had a like new used GP100 ( .357) stainless with 4" barrel for $399. I now have it and after tomorrow at the range, it will be in my gun vault under my night stand.

It's tough to beat a Ruger. Now I have two and I'm a happy camper with their simplicity and reliability.

Lead Moderator
    Glad you like the rugers. if it works for you, then it is best for your needs.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Congratulations. Rugers are great. I have the same model GP100 and it is a tack driver even with some maxed out .357 loads that I would be afraid to put through my 686. I know some folks prefer S&W, but that is largely a matter of opinion. Your Ruger will outlast any Smith made, and if the trigger is a little rough now, it will get better with age. You can improve the trigger weight by swapping out the mainspring and trigger return springs. You can get a set of Wilson (Wolff) springs with varying weights for the GP100 for less than $10 at MidwayUSA.com and you will be surprised at how the pull improves.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I love Rugers, I have 3 wheelguns... and yes, shooting is a depreciable skill. No practice, no hits, but if you can go out after a year and hit your target with the Ruger, I have to think that speaks something of the gun as well.

I have found that my Speed Six and (2) SP-101's do have a natural pointability... at least for me.

And I must point out, Ruger revolvers are rock solid, capable of shooting +P+ ammo all day long without damage to the gun.
    Last edited by Bark'n; May 9th, 2007 at 08:02 AM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

It's sweet! Went to the range at lunch today and put 100 rounds of .38 through it. Very nice. I finished off with a couple wheels of .357 Mag. Speer Gold Dot. Love it. It's now clean, loaded with Speer Gold Dot and in my gun vault under my night stand along with a couple speed loaders.

Can't beat a Ruger, I've got over a dozen of them!!!

"Can't beat a Ruger, I've got over a dozen of them!!!"

Reliable, accurate, strong.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 77bob View Post
    I have not been shooting for about a year. I went out to sight in my Bushmaster AR15 M4A3 last week and tried my hand guns. I have a Kahr K40 and a Springfield XD40 and could not hit my small stick on target at 7 yards. Man I was bummed. I brought out my Ruger SP101 and with one hand nailed my target with every 5 rounds.

I don't know what was wrong other than a serious lack of practice. I love my little Ruger SP101 (.357), so I stopped by Cabela's today and they had a like new used GP100 ( .357) stainless with 4" barrel for $399. I now have it and after tomorrow at the range, it will be in my gun vault under my night stand.

It's tough to beat a Ruger. Now I have two and I'm a happy camper with their simplicity and reliability.
    It is indeed tough to beat a Ruger revo and I highly suggest finding a Speed Six in 9mm for IDPA.... They are a pure joy to compete with or for any other uses you may find....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have several rugers and they are a nice pistol and I will buy more
    in the future.The 454 alaskan snubby is calling me.It has no practical
    use for me other than I just want it!

Quote Originally Posted by 77bob View Post

I've had a couple of Smiths but none I like as well as my GP100. I did put a Hogue rubber monogrip on mine which works well for me. Congrats on your new Ruger. You'll love it.

I been wanting a GP100 for awhile now. Congrats on yours and good to hear more good stuff from happy owners.

VIP Member
    For years I couldn't it the broad side of a barn one handed, now it seems I shoot better that way.

Sponsored Links