More than just a folding stock AR

This is a discussion on More than just a folding stock AR within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Saw this LR-300 by Z-M Weapons on Shooting USA last night, Allen Zitta makes his own version of the AR, not happy with the factory ...

Thread: More than just a folding stock AR

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar

More than just a folding stock AR

Saw this LR-300 by Z-M Weapons on Shooting USA last night, Allen Zitta makes his own version of the AR, not happy with the factory models, he applied the old Hot Roders motto, If you can't buy it, Build it. By moving the recoil spring to undernneith the upper acc rail, it is "self cleaning" according to Allen, thus far more reliable and far less recoil. Of course that opens the door to folding stocks, and a true pistol variation w/o the recoil spring housing sticking out the back.

These are in use by compitition shooters, and elite military units in Iraq and afganistan, with a flawless operation record.

Has anyone here tried one, or have one. It looks like the answer to the AR vs. AK debate, with of course the exception of the cost difference. But to have the accuracy to match that of the famed AR, and the reliability of the famed AK in one package. It might be worth the expense.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Interesting....
    I'd like to try one of those out...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

if all he did was move the recoil spring to the top of the gun then I don't understand how reliability is increased as it is still the same direct impingement system that was used before only with the spring in a different location...OR is it a gas piston design like the ak is it? or am I missing something here? I couldn't find much info about it on the website. Oly arms actually has moved the spring to the top before on an upper...for a pistol I believe.
    Of course if it IS a gas piston upper then that has been done before as well and some people really love them. I'm one that believes that there really isn't a whole lot of problem with the ARs current design...could it use some improvements? sure. But you can build one heck of a reliable AR these days with all of the high quality products out there...the gas piston uppers are certainly an interesting idea and I'm wondering if there will be more and more of them as time goes on. only downside now is the cost really. Very interesting thanks for the post!

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Raysheen,

Yes, It is a Gas Piston design, I left that out. The gas piston is inside the spring guide.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Links