45 long colt a 454 short?

This is a discussion on 45 long colt a 454 short? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was watching one of the shooting shows the other day, they were shooting the 454 Casull, the host dropped in some 45 long colt's ...

Thread: 45 long colt a 454 short?

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

I was watching one of the shooting shows the other day, they were shooting the 454 Casull, the host dropped in some 45 long colt's and said basically they were 454 shorts. I'm guessing kind of like the 38spl to the 357Mag.

Anyone have any experiance with this. I was trying to decide about a magnum handgun for sidearm when hunting, and or to hunt with. I wasn't really looking for something quite that big, but being able to share ammo with a nice Cowboy action gun for practice would be a plus. It won't be in the regular weekly rotation at the range anyway.
    Last edited by 4my sons; May 11th, 2007 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Moderator
    The .454 is a modern version of the 45 Colt. The case was lengthen to prevent old BP Colts blowing up shooting the modern high pressure round.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Assistant Administrator
    prass has covered it really .... but I would usually say that we can make a comparison between 38spl/.357 and .45LC/.454 - in as much as in each instance a case has been lengthened to permit more propellant capacity and also therefore will not chamber in a gun made solely for the (shorter) std pressure round.

The .45LC can be loaded to some quite high pressures and safely shot in a revo designed for .454 .... which itself is a very high pressure round at 65,000 SAAMI.!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

All of the above information is spot-on. There's also a third, longer cartridge - .460S&W. A gun chambered for .460 will also chamber .454 Casull and .45 Colt.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thanks guys,

That is what I was looking for, I guess the 454 beats out the 44 or the 41 I was considering.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]

Assistant Administrator
    Good point Geoff, yeah - the ''further grown'' .460

Mike - the .454 is way above the 44 mag for performance, which is not to belittle the .44 mag! And the 460 is reckoned to have near rifle ballistics to 22 yards, or so they say!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Good point Geoff, yeah - the ''further grown'' .460

Mike - the .454 is way above the 44 mag for performance, which is not to belittle the .44 mag! And the 460 is reckoned to have near rifle ballistics to 22 yards, or so they say!

Wow,

I don't think I need all that, but nice to know, should a nice 460 come available for a nice price, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have plenty of options.

After hearing many people saying that a good Big Bear gun starts at a .41, I was looking at that or a .44. Not a big guy here, my .45 is about as big as I would go for reg carry and shooting. With the versitility of being able to shoot 45LC in my Big Bore hunting bug, sounds like a nice option.

Senior Moderator
    Yes my mext big bore revolver is going to be a 454, I already have the 45. For the reasons you stated.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Sure you can do it but the Point of aim will be no where close

but now the 460 and 454 in the same gun are close on POA but again the 45 colt is no where near POA

If you're looking for a hunting handgun, why not the 45LC? In a modern revolver(Ruger, etc), the LC can be loaded to sledgehammer levels. I have a few of 'em, and my standard hunting load for years was a 320 gr LBT LFN over a large amount of H110, for a mz. vel. of about 1350 fps. out of a 5 in. bbl. There aren't too many things that breathe air that this combo can't handle. Since I've gotten older,(and hopefully wiser) I've changed this to a lighter load, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1050 to1100 fps. Much more pleasant to shoot, and still a slegehammer.
    Regards, Rick

Well dont forget to take the chain all the way...
    454 will load and fire 45LC as well as 45AR ! You may be able to run 45ACP with moon clips.

Sponsored Links