Anyone own an AR-15?

This is a discussion on Anyone own an AR-15? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking to buy an m-4 setup ar-15 and am looking for some suggestions. I currently own a mini-14. I am looking at the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone own an AR-15?

Anyone own an AR-15?

I am looking to buy an m-4 setup ar-15 and am looking for some suggestions. I currently own a mini-14.

I am looking at the 800-1200 range and I am looking for something reliable. I have heard horror stories about guys buying parts or buying customs that were problematic.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

I just bought a Bushmaster M4 A3 a couple of days ago. I have not fired it yet but from comments here and on other fourums it seems the concensus is the Bushmaster is one of several brands you can't go wrong with. I like the removable carry handle with the A3 which gives me more options if I decide to mount optics down the road. I paid $916 for mine. I'll post a range report as soon as I get a chance to put some rounds through it.
    Attached Images
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    I just bought a Bushmaster M4 A3 a couple of days ago. I have not fired it yet but from comments here and on other fourums it seems the concensus is the Bushmaster is one of several brands you can't go wrong with. I like the removable carry handle with the A3 which gives me more options if I decide to mount optics down the road. I paid $916 for mine. I'll post a range report as soon as I get a chance to put some rounds through it.
    Did you buy it local or online?

Man, all I have to say is you guys are blessed to be able to buy these. In Kalifornia we are stuck with the non-removable ten round mag.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

I bought it through Davidson's gallery of guns. They work with local participating dealers in your area. Basically you put %25 down and they ship it to a dealer in your area where you pay the balance and fill out the paperwork. It was my first purchase this way. All went very well. I ordered it at lunch at work on Tuesday and picked it up from my dealer on Wednesday evening. This is the link.
    http://www.galleryofguns.com/
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Thanks a lot craze!

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=23938

That thread has some pretty good AR info. A lot of the reliability problems can come from people building their own, get one from one of the reputable dealers. RRA, Bushmaster, and S&W all seem to put out nice rifles.

I would get one with a removable handle or no handle for the ease of installing optics, and also make sure it was for 5.56 instead of .223. There are tons of options available, so find a model from a good maker that fits your needs and price range.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

A friend of mine, who works at a store and sells a lot of AR's, recommended the S&W, which I bought and really like, or Stag arms. Bushmaster does seem to be a good value, while Rock River seems about the most expensive and trendy right now. Check out AR15.com for some more research if you haven't already.
    http://ar15.com/

I ended up with the S&W 15T and am really happy so far. Accurate and reliable through 500 rounds. Good luck with the search. Oh, and I second what buckeye said about getting 5.56.

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    I bought it through Davidson's gallery of guns. They work with local participating dealers in your area. Basically you put %25 down and they ship it to a dealer in your area where you pay the balance and fill out the paperwork. It was my first purchase this way. All went very well. I ordered it at lunch at work on Tuesday and picked it up from my dealer on Wednesday evening. This is the link.
    http://www.galleryofguns.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=23938

That thread has some pretty good AR info. A lot of the reliability problems can come from people building their own, get one from one of the reputable dealers. RRA, Bushmaster, and S&W all seem to put out nice rifles.

I would get one with a removable handle or no handle for the ease of installing optics, and also make sure it was for 5.56 instead of .223. There are tons of options available, so find a model from a good maker that fits your needs and price range.
    As long as the weapon is rated to fire the higher velocity/pressured 5.56 round then it can fire both.

Yes if its chambered for 5.56 then your good to go with .223 as well.
    --George Washington

love my pantherII by DPMS!!

This is good info. I have not been to AR-15.com because everyone there is biased hardcore AR fans. I ask on my other forums so I can get a clear response.

It is like asking if I should buy a 1911 on a 1911 forum :)

I've got a bushy... It's been a good, solid rifle. I bought it slightly used, and have put a good number of rounds through it over the last 2 years, with 0 problems. Bushmaster has gotten mighty proud of their rifles over the last few years. Used to be a solid quality to price basis for a bushy, but it has disappeared.

If I were going to buy a new one, I'd buy a DPMS. They seem to be the best quality for the money now. Parts are every bit as good as anyone else's, at a lower cost than the high end.

Then you'll always find a few true Colt believers that will tell you that if it don't have that magic prancing pony, it's got to be junk...
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerman View Post
    Man, all I have to say is you guys are blessed to be able to buy these. In Kalifornia we are stuck with the non-removable ten round mag.
    Huh? Non removable? How the h3!! do you load it...?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I think the California AR have to be partially disassembled and top loaded.

I bought my lower (RRA) pre-assembled, then mated it with an upper from Model 1. If you want it to be semi-customized, that's the easiest way.
    I really don't like the "M-4" style ARs for these reasons:
    1. The M-4 has a 14" barrel, the M-4gery has a 16"
    2. The sight radius is shorter than it really needs to be
    3. The only reason for the shorter handguards on a real M-4 is attachment of a bayonet. My theory is the barrel length was specifically picked so they could use the XM-177 handguards and the M-9 bayonet.
    4. It limits potential rail space, and provides less grip area.

Solution, a Dissipator.

My total cost was about $1100. Her name is Veera.
    Attached Images
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links