IDPA - need info

IDPA - need info

This is a discussion on IDPA - need info within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After having to wait for a month (on order), I finally got a new Glock 30 today . As I was filling out all the ...

Thread: IDPA - need info

IDPA - need info

After having to wait for a month (on order), I finally got a new Glock 30 today . As I was filling out all the paper work, I asked the guy at the gun shop if they had any classes coming up (this is the shop where my wife and I took our CCW class and the instructor was GREAT!). He suggested IDPA. I need info...I've read about it and have found a local club that holds practices and matches. But, is it really a good option for a novice (that IMHO shoots ok - 3" groups at 10 yards)? Will this actually be an oportunity for me to learn? Or, is it purely a competition? Also, I already have a S&W Chief's Special .45 - would this and my new Glock 30 be ok to use for IDPA? Any info would be helpful - thanks!

Senior Moderator
    It depend's on the group, but most of them love newcomer's and will be willing to teach you all they know.

It is not a sub for real training but it is very good practice.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I think its a great suggestion. Every person that comes to me to learn how to shoot I make it part of the deal that they go with me and shoot an IDPA match. My local club is VERY supportive of novice shooters, and will walk through someone a newby step by step if necessary. You'll be suprised how many folks dont know how to take off the safety on their weapon once the clock goes "beep". I'd look up your group and talk to them and likely you'll be invited to show up a little early before a match for a safety brief and introduction. I have heard that there are clubs not as open, but heck if yours isnt, hop and a plane and I'll gladly take you to ours.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I am checking on IDPA in my area, but was wondering if there are good defensive handgun schools in/closer to FL than some of the top ones mentioned?

Any recommendations on instructors and/or schools?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    That is a question that I'd pose to the shooters at the local IDPA club. One thing you'll find is that most of them will be more than willing to help you. My club has several of the top national shooters, and they are always helping folks with their shooting at each and every match. Plus they'd know which schools in your area are worth attending and which ones should be avoided.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    The IDPA match is a great idea. It will get you around a group of people that take shooting seriously. There will probably be a few gunstore commando types, but the vast majority will be willing and able to help to some degree- and can point you toward the best local people for real training.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    I am checking on IDPA in my area, but was wondering if there are good defensive handgun schools in/closer to FL than some of the top ones mentioned?

Any recommendations on instructors and/or schools?
    I know Massad Ayoob's LFI makes it down to Florida, that would definitely be worth the money.
    Try a search of this site for Florida + training.
    Also try google, I have a LINK to a basic search I just did.

VIP Member
    Zuki, just drop by you local IDPA club and talk to the people, you'll have a blast. Both guns can be used for matches without problems. In IDPA you compete against the people of your own level and there are no super-tricked guns allowed.

Mike, I am PMing you some info about schools near you.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Sponsored Links