Shipping a handgun through FFL???

Shipping a handgun through FFL???

This is a discussion on Shipping a handgun through FFL??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wasn't sure where I should post this, so sorry if its in the wrong section. Anybody know the basic procedure for shipping a firearm, a ...

Thread: Shipping a handgun through FFL???

Question Shipping a handgun through FFL???

Wasn't sure where I should post this, so sorry if its in the wrong section.
    Anybody know the basic procedure for shipping a firearm, a pistol? I'm just lookin for a lil info. I don't know if I need to box it up or if the FFL does...lil things like that. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Depends on what state your shipping to and for what purpose.

Federal law is that if you are shipping a firearm to a gunsmith for work or repair and the gunsmith is a FFL holder, you are allowed to ship directly to him and he can ship the firearm directly back to you. If you are selling the firearm, you need to obtain a copy of the receiving FFL holderís license and then you can ship directly to that FFL holder. It is his responsibility to do the NICS check and transfer to the end purchaser. Again, this is federal law.

Some states have stricter laws and I have heard of some FFL holders refusing to accept a delivery unless it comes from another FFL holder. Iím not sure if they are doing this because itís actually their state law or if they are just being overly cautious. If youíll post your reason to ship and what state itís going to, you may get someone to respond with the pertinent information.

I have shipped several handguns for action work (mostly to Montana) and have never had a problem. I am not an FFL and have shipped them overnight UPS. They were returned directly to me via UPS. I have also sold long guns and handguns and shipped them directly to the buyers receiving dealer after I received a copy of his FFL. No problems.

Handguns can be shipped through USPS, but that must be done FFL to FFL. The shipping FFL must fill out some paperwork each time they ship a handgun. The advantage is that it is much cheaper than using the overnight service of either UPS or FedEx. I have found that I can pay the USPS shipping charges plus give my FFL dealer $20.00 for his time and still save about $20.00 over shipping a single handgun UPS.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Ok, well, this is a trade, a pistol for a pistol, and FFL dealers will be used, I just wasn't sure if I ship, or the FFL holder ships. Thanks
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Since it's a trade and you're going to have to use receiving FFLs on each end, I'd just let the FFLs take care of everything.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Sponsored Links