10 year old daughter of wife's co-worker shot today...

This is a discussion on 10 year old daughter of wife's co-worker shot today... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We were just sitting down to dinner when my wife's cell phone rang and it was her boss. Seems her daughter (the boss) who is ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10 year old daughter of wife's co-worker shot today...

10 year old daughter of wife's co-worker shot today...

We were just sitting down to dinner when my wife's cell phone rang and it was her boss. Seems her daughter (the boss) who is 10 years old was playing in their backyard when the idiot kid next door was in his backyard shooting at birds with a .22! Her daughter caught a .22 Lr round in the side and was rushed to the hospital. She is being transfered to Le Bohoner children's hospital in Memphis for surgery.

The hospital she was at originally couldn't find the bullet and there was some speculation that she was actually hit with a BB and not a .22, but they did finally find the bullet on an X-ray and it shows that the projectile is "pointed" not round so it is not a BB.

The projectile nicked an artery and they can't get the bleeding stopped so she is going to the specialized children's hospital for surgery.

She is a sweet little kid and all my kids know her and they are very upset especially the 5 year old twins. She could sure use so prayers sent her way if anyone is inclined to do that. It would be much appreciated.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Holy moley Mike - that is very concerning ... and of course yes, positive thoughts will be in plenty. Frightening situation and I hope the girl mends and recovers fully - it sounds very threatening.

As for ''idiot kid'' - well hard to express that aspect and stay within CC rules! I'd say much has to be down to poor gun safety, and so ergo - poor parental training and supervision.

Kids should be tought early on - .22's are hardly bird rounds, unless maybe right out in middle of nowhere with miles of nothing all around.

A classic avoidable accident - but I hope sincerely not one that can become a tragedy.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

She is in surgery right now. I have no idea how long she will be in there but I'm sure it will be several hours.

I hate the thought of a sweet little girl like her, or any child, being injured like this and having to go through so much pain. It just makes me want to grab my kids and hold them.

Our twins, Brandon and Scottie are having a hard time going to sleep tonight. This is really bothering them much more than I would have ever thought it would.

I'll post an update when we know something.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Assistant Administrator
    I'll post an update when we know something.
    Please do Mike - I'll be waiting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Late thought - and based on my thinking that outa all bad has to come some good ...... if, as I pray she makes a full recovery - then maybe many will be seeing a very salutary lesson re gun safety - including very possibly too your two special lil people.

Just perhaps we can hope for good out of bad.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Mike...
    Thank you for keeping us posted...we'll be praying for her. What's going to happen to the kid? the parents? WTH did the idiot parents let their idiot kid shoot a .22 at birds in a neighborhood?

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Stories like this really upset me. And just about 100% of the time it is the parents fault. They should of taught their boy proper usage of a firearm...and then they should of locked it up so he could not get it.

Just like most drunk driving accidents, it is not the moron who pays the price of their stupidity, but instead the innocent bystander.

Some poor child could of lost her life today, just because she was playing in her yard at the wrong time.

Unless the kid broke into a secure closeure for the firearm to get it, the parents should at least be at risk of loosing their child for criminal neglect. At the very least to make them feel at least the slightest bit what the girl's parents probabaly feel about now.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    A classic avoidable accident...
    Sorry, brother... there's no such thing.

I hope the girl pulls through and then punches that kid in the mouth.

me
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    As for ''idiot kid'' - well hard to express that aspect and stay within CC rules! I'd say much has to be down to poor gun safety, and so ergo - poor parental training and supervision.
    I am with Chris on this I have to bite my tongue before I get myself in trouble.

I am praying for her, the family and Idiot kid.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

PM sent...to God.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Saying prayers bro. I hope that little girl is all right.

As far as the "idiot" kid, well that might be early to speculate but I am speculating on the parents needing a big spanking.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member
    I'm really sorry to hear this one!

I will keep the little girl and her parents in my prayers.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

In my prayers
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I got my first .22 at eleven years old but I could not shoot it in our back yard. My father took me to my grandmother's in the country and showed me the safety of a proper back stop for shooting and how to be safe. The responsibility of gun ownership goes with the rights of ownership. A kid can be responsible if taught responsibility by parents. Riccochets should be explained also. Most places it is against the law to fire guns in a congested area. I can legally shoot in my backyard but out of respect for my neighbors I avoid that except in the case of a few varmints that have succumbed to a .410 or a .22. I always look at what is behind my target.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    We have a wood behind our house and the possibility of something like this happening here has always bothered me. I have called the LEO's more than once for gunfire and stupid kids with bond fires going.

Prayers sent for a full and speedy recovery.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I'm certainly asking the Almighty to make sure she comes through okay. And I'm praying that she is not suffering a great deal of pain from either the injury or the surgery.

As to the kid and his parents... well now, I can think of a few things to say such as [censored] and [expletive deleted].

But the truth is, assuming the boy's parents tried to do all the right things (gun locked, safety instructions, etc.)....the parents of the shooter should be forthright and contact their homeowner's insurance and/or pay for any medical bills. Next, their son should be deprived of his .22 and any further use of a firearm until he (a)accepts responsibility, (b)can, in his own words, explain the stupidity of his folly and (c)celebrates his 18th birthday. And I don't think a personal apology to the parents of the girl and the girl herself is out of the question.

The boy's parents need to re-examine their own safety procedures in their home as well as the safety instructions they gave to their son (if any).
    BillCA in CA (Unfortunately)
    Webmaster - Taking on Gun Control
    http://dragon.hematite.com
    A gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links