The Elusive Randall Left Handed .45

This is a discussion on The Elusive Randall Left Handed .45 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by APachon wouldn't the follower have to be a mirror image as well??? ~A Not with MecGars. Not the one I have anyway....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: The Elusive Randall Left Handed .45

Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    wouldn't the follower have to be a mirror image as well???

~A
    Not with MecGars. Not the one I have anyway.

2. Remove Ads

I've got one

This is my 1st post here, but I found this thread while using Google-fu for Randall pistols. I love this weapon. I bought it new in 1985 and have shot some of the collectors value out of it ever since. This gun is a dream for me as a lefty. Now, every other pistol I've shot, trained with and/or carried has either been right handed or somewhat ambi and I've managed well enough via extensive training. But nothing as felt as natural in my left hand as my Randall B111. It took me six years to find two more mags for it. One annoying habit is that every now and then the brass ejects straight into my forehead right between my eyes. Is that an ammo or a recoil spring issue? This happens with a variety of factory ammo.

Yes I know this thread is ancient, but resurrection is at least 2000 years old.

Edit: the magazines are unique. Back in the '80s my Infantry armorer tried cutting mag catch notches in the other side of Army issue 1911 mags. But the lefty Randall mags have opposite followers and lips.
    Attached Images

Administrator
    Is that an ammo or a recoil spring issue?

The two ways to remedy that would be either a slight modification to the extractor or the ejector.

Wow...this thread dates to 2005. I have not seen this one for a while.

Thanks for posting that photo.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    I just spotted a vintage Randall Leftie with 2 Magazines & an original box on Gunbroker for $3,750.00. That is actually NOT a bad price for a Randall Leftie. It is a very scarce handgun. Interesting that the asking price for one in 2005 was $1,500.00 - quite an appreciation in value or a hefty devaluation of our paper money...or both.

Randall 1911 Left Handed B111 (Mass. Compliant) : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

This is one of the rarest pistols to own in the 1911 family - a left-handed Randall. There were less than 300 of these ever made. This is a 45 cal pistol and it is in pristine condition and includes the box and factory mags. It is Massachusetts compliant. I have never shot the pistol. I also have this for sale at a local gun shop. Should it sell there first, this auction will end. I will only ship to an FFL.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member

The Elusive Randall Left Handed .45

I'm left handed & I think a lefty 1911 would be hard for me to get used to. I carry 1911s exclusively in the cooler months & my only complaint is the ambi-safety. I have broken a couple over the years.....

As to ejection port, extractor ...etc... Being reversed, I don't see any advantage. I use my trigger finger for the mag release & having to relearn would not be fun.

Parts as mentioned would not make it worthwhile for me either. with the way guns parts are lately, coming by spares would be tough.

I don't even care for the left handed ARs.....I've learned to adapt. The only left handed guns I use are bolt guns for hunting. I use right handed bolt guns for target shooting, so I don't have to come off the gun to work the bolt. In the field I use the lefty bolts for off hand shooting.

I even prefer right handed shotguns (pumps & autos), they are easier to reload & check the chambers. I have even seen some three guns guys who are right handed using left-handed shotguns.

If somebody made a GREAT ambi safety for the 1911........that's all I would need.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    Light vs <~~~~

Here is the answer to your brass hitting you in the face w/ regard to extractor/ejector modifications but, that would not be something that you should "home gunsmith" on your particular firearm due to the near impossibility of obtaining replacement parts and the rarity of your Leftie.

With a regular 1911 you could play around with the original extractor and/or the ejector and if you "mess up" high quality aftermarket parts are everywhere but, not so with your Leftie.

You MIGHT try adding a variable chrome silicon recoil spring which MIGHT just alter the ejection direction enough so that you are not getting whapped in the face with ejected brass. Save that original recoil spring though. Or it might cause your ejected brass to smack you even harder. It's worth the mere $8.00 to try that solution though.

OR...if you are just range shooting it and not carrying it for self defense you COULD stick with one ammo brand and increase the recoil spring weight incrementally until your ejected brass just clears the port but, stays fairly close to the firearm/ejection port.

Yeah, it's pretty much a range gun now and I consider it too valuable to modify. I have considered changing the recoil spring but, for no particular reason, haven't done so. Most of the brass sails over my head but every now and then, WHAP!

Administrator
    You are lucky to own one. I remember back when Randall first advertised them. I am Right Handed but, my "gut" told me that I should have ordered one back then and safe queened it as an investment firearm. But, I didn't listen to my gut.

I have an excuse though...I was younger, dumber, & a bit poorer back then.

LH Randal redux

Quote Originally Posted by SF18F View Post
    This is my 1st post here, but I found this thread while using Google-fu for Randall pistols. I love this weapon. I bought it new in 1985 and have shot some of the collectors value out of it ever since. This gun is a dream for me as a lefty. Now, every other pistol I've shot, trained with and/or carried has either been right handed or somewhat ambi and I've managed well enough via extensive training. But nothing as felt as natural in my left hand as my Randall B111. It took me six years to find two more mags for it. One annoying habit is that every now and then the brass ejects straight into my forehead right between my eyes. Is that an ammo or a recoil spring issue? This happens with a variety of factory ammo.

Edit: the magazines are unique. Back in the '80s my Infantry armorer tried cutting mag catch notches in the other side of Army issue 1911 mags. But the lefty Randall mags have opposite followers and lips.
    I have one also. I picked it up at a gun show in West Palm Beach about 25 years ago, before shows were banned by the city. I've been EXTREMELY happy with it. I've had no major problems with it. I found some lh mags years ago that work fine. Can't remember who it was that I got them from but, I acquired 3 or 4 extras then. I'll look and see if I can find the supplier.

kip

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by SF18F View Post

I had a similar problem with my Springfield- I removed and cleaned the firing pin and ejector, then put everything back together and haven't had a problem since.

Also, I'm naturally a leftie; but when it comes to shooting handguns, I'm ambidextrous. My 1911 has a beavertail, and extended ambi-safeties; it fits and handles perectly in either hand. ...just saying...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Well, heck - how have ah missed THIS thread?!??

Ah've been accused of bein' a .45 nut here an' there.....an' Randall's are what got me started! Over the years, I've managed to pick up one of each of their right-handed .45 models, but the one's ah'm proudest of are the two Lefties ah've found - one round-top, an' one flat-top. On the road right now, so don't have access to my picture files, but if ya'll will be patient, I'm put some up Sunday or Monday - we're in Houston for the NRA convention this weekend.
    QKShooter likes this.

Administrator

Thumbs up

A member with (not one) but, 2 Randall Lefties. Very Cool.

I know I would love to have some Randall magazines. I have three that I got from somewhere that are several years old and have been through Hades with heat, weather, dirt and work flawlessly.

When I find them, they are not cheap either.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

VIP Member
    Jimi Hendrix did more with a right-handed guitar than any right-handed guitarist could ever have imagined.

It's not the guitar, it's the guitarist.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach S View Post
    Not with MecGars. Not the one I have anyway.
    Then they aren't left handed magazines, they have to be a mirror image or they won't work.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links