The Elusive Randall Left Handed .45

This is a discussion on The Elusive Randall Left Handed .45 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was trying to find a nice photo for the CombatCarry Photo Archives (on the web) of the RARE left handed version of the Randall ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: The Elusive Randall Left Handed .45

Administrator

Question The Elusive Randall Left Handed .45

I was trying to find a nice photo for the CombatCarry Photo Archives (on the web) of the RARE left handed version of the Randall .45 ~ Not too many were ever made.
    Maybe NOW with CNC machining making it easy to "compu~change" the auto machining sequence...some modern gun maker will produce yet another TRUE "mirror image" of the Colt 1911 pistol.
    The Randall was a fairly high quality nicely machined "carbon copy" of the Colt. There were sporadic reports of Randall slides cracking but (I think) they turned out to be mostly bogus...with only a few early production Right Handed pistols getting a hairline slide crack.

I DID actually find a "like new" LEFT HAND RANDALL for sale on GunsAmerica BUT, sadly...No Photo for me to borrow
    The asking price was Fifteen Hundred Clams.
    I was thinking that IFFEN I were a SOUTHPAW & I truly loved the Colt .45 Semi~Automatic pistol I sure WOULD "plunk down" that kinda money for a "Flipped .45" with the Ejection Port & The Ejector & The Extractor & The Magazine Release & Thumb Safety...all factory original and "reverse machined" & tailored perfectly for a Lefty!
    Your thoughts on the Left Handed Randall are always welcome.

By The Way...For You Southpaw Shooters Out There...If the Nuns would have cracked your left hand hard with a wooden yardstick in school (every time you woulda tried ta use it or write with it) when you were "little" ~ You would have grown up "normal" like the rest of us...using the "correct" RIGHT hand.
    Last edited by QKShooter; April 10th, 2005 at 02:21 PM. Reason: I Kneaded Two Korrect A Speilling Errer

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    Actually, I am not sure buying a left handed (mirror of the original design) 1911 would be a good idea if you consider the difficulty in getting spare parts, people that would work on them, etc. I think many left handers (I'm not one) learn to shoot right handed rather than actually shooting left handed. I may be wrong....
    GhostMaker likes this.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

i woulkdnt plunk down that kind of cash just for a 1 off type deal ... im a lefty but std 1911 works fine for me with the exception of the thumb safety

Administrator

Bud

I was trying to imagine shooting .45 left handed all the time & not just for weak side practice.
    I really give you lefty shooters lots of credit for feeling comfortable with it.
    Are you Left Eye or Right Eye Dominant? Just curious.

Bumper...Oh Gosh Dernit...I plumb forgot about those spare parts.
    That sure could be an interesting & complicated problem locating "Lefty Parts" for a scarce broken Randall SouthPaw .45
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DC Founder
    It still might be a good buy for a collection. How many of those things were made?
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator

Copy & Paste Of The Auction Text

"Randall Left Hand B-131 45, one of 225,adjustable sights.this gun is in exc. cond. I have only fired about 75 rounds thru it, it is all original, has checkered walnut grips. ~ no extra mags or box or paper work.
    If buyer is from Ca. private party transfer is possible thru my local dealer. $1500.00"

DAMN Bumper!.....Guess what I just realized reading this auction text???
    No Extra Mags !!!

The magazine catch slot would need to be...you guessed it...on the other side.
    So...the potential buyer will need to have his future spare/extra magazines custom machined.
    Looks like you sure were 150% correct about spare parts...and SOONER...rather than later.
    WHO COULD BUY a left handed pistol BACK WHEN THEY WERE BEING "SPECIAL MADE" & not buy LOTS of EXTRA magazines? That sure was dumb.
    I would hafta buy the pistol & 20 extra magazines!

Left eye dominate also write shoot do everything left handed allows me to squeeze in some places working on items the guys who are right hand dominate have problems with

Couldnt you just cut a mag notch to make a spare should be able to do it yourself

Administrator

Yep...I guess

That's something I've never tried...cutting an exactly located slot in a magazine. I guess you could do it by drilling a few small holes...opening them up with a Dremel & a small burr & then using a small needle file to finish up & square the slot.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    That's something I've never tried...cutting an exactly located slot in a magazine. I guess you could do it by drilling a few small holes...opening them up with a Dremel & a small burr & then using a small needle file to finish up & square the slot.
    Had to look at my Wilson mags first....but looking at it, I'd say, first you'd have to buy high capacity mag and cut it to length (the slot on left top is about 1/2 inch deep from the top)....then clamp the cut mag to another std mag such that the slot is pressed against the cut mag....mark the profile, then start cutting, drilling and filing.

wouldn't the follower have to be a mirror image as well???

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    wouldn't the follower have to be a mirror image as well???

~A
    Yep...missed that little detail !

Administrator

Doggonit

You guys are on the ball!
    Nothing slipping by these forum members!

Talking

Suppose it would help to have a mag spring wound in reverse too? LOL!!

I've never had a problem shooting a 1911 left handed provided (a) it didn't have a beavertail (which renders the safety unusable for me) (b) didn't have one of those pesky tuned extractors that threw them right into my nose.

I do shoot an awful lot of pistols right handed though - it's weak side practice and lets me reveal that I'm actually left handed (which is something I don't mention much as it makes people feel real bad about their abilities if I can beat 'em right handed). ;0

Left handed guns etc are a solution in search of a problem. When push comes to shove, there's always something different about a gun for each shooter, from grip to god knows what else, and choices have to be made.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links