Reloading is such a .....

This is a discussion on Reloading is such a ..... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Chore - but well worth the time!! I have at last gotten into the swing again - apart from loading 45-70's on and off I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading is such a .....

Assistant Administrator

Chore - but well worth the time!!

I have at last gotten into the swing again - apart from loading 45-70's on and off I have kept meaning to get down to other rounds. Once the rhythm gets re-established it ain't so bad ........ load a bunch and then walk over to check the board! No major spell at the bench - just short sessions.

I am up to 450 on .357 mag's and plan to load a 1,000 of those possibly.... and am at last getting to load up some real nice ''Blem" Speer 158 JHP's ... lovely bullet (same as Gold Dot) ... and it saves that bit of mess I get from lubed cast lead bullets.

Time too to get some .45acp stuff loaded - plenty of brass and good supply of 230 cast LRN's. Had to get dies set up but now all ready to churn em out. Shot a few tests rounds outside as have started using another powder for .45acp (and 38 spl ) - Solo 1000 .... have a 8# jug in stock which I got for shotshells but - this powder is mega economical for these cals. Settled on 4.8 grains which is below the max of 5.1 ......... cycles gun just fine and tho not chrono'd yet - seems a nice plinking load. It's large flake powder but seems to meter OK.

3.5 of that powder seems good too for 158 cast SWC's in 38 spl.

Once handgun cal's up to better number then time for some rifle catch-up. Probably leave 9mm for now because cost still not too bad but - time may come when all the brass I have will get used!

Plan too for trying to reload some 7.62x25 to fuel the CZ-52, plus try out some dies for 9x18 Mak ... got the bullets, just need to set it all up.

There - that's enough to bore anyone
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Value in reloading

Have been trying to compare the real costs in reloading for a .44. Have a nice 629 I like to shoot more than I can afford. After all even Bass Pro is over .50cents a shot now. (22.99 per 50, Walmart is 27.99 for wwb) Should I look at a dillon and only buy the press once??? Kind of like the looks of the 650 if I look at Dillon. The other round I am interested in Is 30.06 as I would up with a nice winchester model 70. Really like it, It's a much better shot than I am! Thanks JB

Senior Moderator
    Reloading is the only way to go.

I shoot alot so I reload alot. With lead prices getting the way they are, I have once again started casting my own bullets. For several years I quit because the time spent just wasnt worth the effort for what it cost. That has recently changed though.

Now I cast a few thousand at a time and I'll load up them all up. That keeps me shooting for a month or so.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Reloading is a stress reliever for me. I get home all pissed off from work and I work on the next set of 250 for my range time with my single press and I forget about everything but what I am focused on. Great therapy, who cares what I save!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I bought the NRA beginner guide to reloading recently, but haven't looked it over yet. (Too busy with the personal defense outside the home book.)

Even still, the ranges in Palm Beach County won't allow anyone to use ammunition that wasn't bought there at the range; no exceptions. So I wouldn't be able to fire ammo I had reloaded.

I've been concidering getting into reloading quite a bit recently. especially with the rise in prices.

I've not been allowed to, thus far, since we live in an apartment and the fiance has started to get a tad uncomfortable with the 3000 rounds of ammo already here.

fortunately, we may be getting a house here in the very quick future, double garage, and i've arleady got a reloading bench planned out.

if that comes to fruitition, i'll be looking for advice.
    "I no longer list firearms I own as a signature. Why give them another list to use when they come to get them?"

azchevy, I agree. I also find reloading a great stress reliever.
    On a rainy day I can reload enough rounds to last a month easy.

Reloading is a vicious circle:
    Reload, shoot, clean guns.
    Wait for payday to buy more supplies
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Been reloading for over 40 years. Currently reload rifle ammunition in .22 Hornet, .22 K-Hornet, . 223, .22/.308, and several different .30 calibers. My pistol ammo reloading is done by a friend on an automated commercial machine that he got nearly new at an auction. He can reload 1,000 rounds of 9mm in about one hour.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    I've got 5,000 .38SPL, and about 500 .357MAG cases that have been screaming at me for a while. I'm taking the next week off, gonna see if I can make a dent in them (among other things).
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I really should get back into reloading. My Rockchucker press still sits packed away, like it has since 1979. Through all of life's turns, I've never created a workspace where I could put it back in use. Now, more than ever, it would be the right thing to do.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by cubfarm1 View Post
    Have been trying to compare the real costs in reloading for a .44. Have a nice 629 I like to shoot more than I can afford. After all even Bass Pro is over .50cents a shot now. (22.99 per 50, Walmart is 27.99 for wwb) Should I look at a dillon and only buy the press once??? Kind of like the looks of the 650 if I look at Dillon. The other round I am interested in Is 30.06 as I would up with a nice winchester model 70. Really like it, It's a much better shot than I am! Thanks JB
    For me it was the 550, it depends on how much you shoot.

Assistant Administrator
    For anyone starting out I think Dillon has to be way to go - bigger investment but over time has to be the best. Rock Chucker for single station always good for various jobs, particularly rifle.

I am ''stuck'' on Lee stuff as, when starting well over quarter century ago cost was a major factor. I have added extra presses and numerous more turrets and dies - so as to have set-ups all done and no major time spent setting up. Way slower than a Dillon but - I get along fine and it suits me OK.

At IDPA yesterday was chatting with a guy about bullets - he had ordered 8,000 from somewhere but was informed that new stock was gonna be 30% higher price!! Yes 30%!!

All ammo and consumables are being hit hard by cost hikes - much being raw material costs, viz lead, copper etc. But it is now maybe when reloading really does start to pay off, in particular if you do not cost your time.

I still have casting gear and might well get that going again for larger cal's.

Cubfarm ....... I would say that .44 mag reloading WILL save, a lot. I haven't done the math of late but as an estimate would say my reloaded rounds cost probably no more than 20c each max!! Saving gets even better with .454! My 38 spl rounds probably come out as cheap as 5c each.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

. . . great way to build up ammo reserves. I much prefer stocking up on supplies and making a couple thousand rounds than simply buying ammo. Type A's, however, that are looking primarily to save money should pass. Factoring in the opportunity costs of time spent getting the right supplies and the actual loading process, my handloads cost me more than factory ammo.

I love to reload as much as I enjoy shooting. Takes things off my mind for a while. Steve48

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links