Finally got one of my must-have revolvers...

This is a discussion on Finally got one of my must-have revolvers... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've always wanted a Webley. I didn't want the massive price tag associated with them in many cases, either - nor have to deal with ...

Thread: Finally got one of my must-have revolvers...

Finally got one of my must-have revolvers...

I've always wanted a Webley. I didn't want the massive price tag associated with them in many cases, either - nor have to deal with the guilt of chopping down an intact .455 to take moon clips. I also wanted a shooter with a lot of life left in her, because when I find a revolver I like, I shoot the living hell out of it.

This meant I either had to find one in factory .38 S&W (not special) or a pre-mangled .455 - and this week, I found the former.

It's an Israeli police marked Webley Mk 4 in .38 S&W. Trigger is flat out amazing for a military revolver and accuracy is very good at 7 yards even if it does shoot a little high due to the ammo differences in commercial loads versus what it was built to have.

It's not a carry gun unless your name is Dr. Jones, but one of the last few remaining holes in my collection is finally done for a reasonable, sub four bill price.

2. Remove Ads

Cool!

I always wondered why designs like this died out... are modern catridges too powerful or something?

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Cool!

I always wondered why designs like this died out... are modern catridges too powerful or something?
    You hit the nail right on the head, Euc. Top-break revolvers are inherently weak, the weak point being the frame latch. They were originally designed for low pressure black powder loads. The design was strong enough to handle the early low pressure smokeless powder loads, but nothing even remotely close to Magnum pressures & velocities.

Even with its weak design, the Webley is an excellent revolver. It was standard issue with the Brits right up to the time they adopted the Browning HP.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Assistant Administrator
    Good find rfurtkamp - the old ''Wobblies'' are not that easy to come across. Here is my MkVI - a gun more or less rebuilt from bits - I had to strip it right down and prep it to reblue - only cold blue tho so have to keep it well protected with a film of CLP. It hasn't done badly and does not get shot all that often.

In fact - there is a slight sear prob and altho D/A is just fine (classic mega heavy!) ..... the S/A is a bit tricky - but that aside - great gun to have. I load 230 LRN's in Fiocchi cases - to very modest levels - the gun has a very distinctive sound like no other.

I used to have a coupla top break enfields - one with hammer spur, one without. They were .38 S&W - and I cut down some 38 spl brass to load for those - with a 125 LRN - not quite a ''spec'' load but modest and safe - enough to make em work!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Cool - I still want a 455 at some point. I've noticed that the DA triggers are a little better on the 38s due to probably cylinder mass and lock, but damn it, I want the big mean monster too.

This will have to do, though - I went on the 90 day waiting list for a full-sized Uzi from Vector in pistol configuration.

DC Founder
    Nice guns, rfurtkamp and P95Carry. I love the character that comes with old gun designs....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

NICE! weapons guys......the .455 was, and still is a very good revolver, although some people care to disagree, and see them as "OLD Junk Guns" I know they did in a lotta BG's in the ages....and they STILL will........I wouldn't mind having one.or two....or three.... geeeeze.I otta stop.....LOL

Links