Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder And Suicide?

This is a discussion on Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder And Suicide? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is a very interesting read from the Harvard Journal of Law and Policy. http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/...useronline.pdf...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder And Suicide?

This is a very interesting read from the Harvard Journal of Law and Policy.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/...useronline.pdf

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Haven't gone thru the article (in fact couldn't achieve a download) but - a quick thought is that - no ban could possibly eliminate all guns - can't happen. Only legal owners could be stripped of their guns.

In theory - if - big IF - literally all guns were gone then murders and suicides would just just have different MO's. Suicides would up the Carbon monoxide route or jumping off high places and OD's on pills .... and murders would increase from edged weapons etc.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

If someone's gonna do it, they're going to do it. With or without a gun.

Exactly... The motivating factor or impulse people have to commit suicide is NOT having a gun or having a gun available... It is a desire to end their lives because of some other "Emotional Impulse" and not the fact that they may have a gun within sight.

Sure there are a few who may utilize a gun in order to make a "statement" but what made them decide to commit suicide was not the gun telling them to do it.

Those wanting to end their life, WILL end their life. Period.

Murder is a whole other dynamic and I haven't read the entire article yet, so I won't comment on the "Murder" aspect, but for suicides I believe if they genuinely want to do it, they will do it!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The study shows no correlation...

between gun ownership and murder and suicide rates.

I will post some quotes later. Just too late right now.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    Its actually a good read and illustrates the absurdness of those that equate less guns to less crime. Using fairly recent data, it shows that the former Soviet Union had a crime rate of nearly 4 times that of the U.S. even though Soviet citizens have virtually NO access to guns. Compared to the U.S. and its recent CHL laws across the country gun ownership has actually increased while violent crimes have gone down.

It also shows that Great Britain which recently disallowed its subjects from owning firearms, showed a very dramatic increase in violent crimes.

Basically the article illustrates the fact that those that think that "less guns" will equal "less crimes" are the idiots that we gun owners always suspected them to be...and this article uses recent data to prove it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If They Try To Take Away All Guns...

There probably will be more crime...at my front door...that's only a guess on my part.

Take away the guns? The South WILL rise again...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Basically the article illustrates the fact that those that think that "less guns" will equal "less crimes" are the idiots that we gun owners always suspected them to be...and this article uses recent data to prove it.
    Here's me waiting to read about that in the local newspaper.

See how my face is blue? That's from endlessly holding my breath.

YES, we've known that anti-gunners are morons -- since the beginning, we've known that, because we know how to apply logic.

But the mainstream media, which is like 90% leftist, cheerleaders for the government monopoly on force, will not allow this information to reach enough people to make a difference in policy.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Molon Labe!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
    If someone's gonna do it, they're going to do it. With or without a gun.
    Yep. It's not the tool, it's the one wielding it.
    'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

VIP Member
    The only people who support the idea that 'banning guns will stop killing' are the ones who are anti-gun anyway. They aren't using fact & intellect to come to their decision. They are using emotion.

Man has been killing since Cain killed Able......& guess what? HE DIDN'T USE A GUN! Bare hands, rocks, sticks & clubs, sharp implements, arrows, explosives or even poison, have all sufficed in man's quest to kill his fellow man. Guns are just another tool in that arsenal of creativity that man has come up with.

However, guns now have a stigma that used to belong to the sword or knife in previous centuries.

What would follow the gun ban? Sword & knife bans.....then what? Dirty looks!

So if guns were MAGICALLY banned tomorrow, as in the UK, we would have a huge increase in crime. I say that for two basic reasons:
    1) Criminals would no longer fear unarmed victims, there wouldn't be ANY armed ones!
    2) Man's ingenuity would come up with new ways to take life. (pass me the phaser please.....)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

By a degree, almost certainly, since now the act would be tougher to achieve. Most would try anyway, but the failure rate would rise. In the case of suicide, there would likely be more failed attempts. In the case of murder, more victims would have a chance to defend themselves. But, all of this at the expense of victims who choose to go down fighting who would be forcibly denied by edict their right to defense. Most of those folks would be caught at the short end of the stick ... and there are millions of them each year.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I read some stats about it on the publication called Gun Facts 4.1, and there appears to be no correlation between gun bans and suicide rates. In other words, what everyone else said... if you're gonna off yourself, you'll find a way.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

The most infamous "single event" mass murder in American history on civilians was perpetrated with BOX CUTTERS! It could sure have been stopped PDQ if the pilots had been armed with handguns, though!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Of course it would.

Of course it would help. The news says so. Everyone knows that guns kill people all by themselves. (Sarcasm off!)

Hell. CARS kill more people than guns, and they're not even designed to do it. Lets not get into how many people are killed by Malboros and cheeseburgers.

Isn't it also odd that all the noted gun grabbers have armed protection details?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links