Cheaper .45s.

Cheaper .45s.

This is a discussion on Cheaper .45s. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As a follow up to a previous thread. my good friend has bought my Sig P232 from me. This leaves me with the option to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheaper .45s.

Cheaper .45s.

As a follow up to a previous thread. my good friend has bought my Sig P232 from me.
    This leaves me with the option to replace it with a similar gun or get something very different.
    As I seem to have inherited the Kel-Tec P32 that I originally bought for my wife and I to both share, she doesn't like it as much as she thought she would, I am including that gun into the equation.

So, if I trade in the Kel-Tec P32 and get a P3AT instead then I am getting a slightly better (IMO) deep concealment gun, and still utilizing all that Cor-Bon Pow'R Ball I still have in .380 caliber.

So there's two birds with one stone, now let's go for a few more.

Now I don't need to get a .380 to replace the P232, and I have an XD9 SC already, the main reason I could part with the P232.
    So the $450 I have from selling the Sig can get me another XD, I should be able to get an XD45 with that.

But my only question is this.
    As the XD45 Compact isn't a 3" it leaves me wondering what I might get in that caliber that is smaller than the XD?

I can think of a Taurus PT145 at that price, maybe a Glock 30 if I'm lucky.

What small .45 would you get if you were limited to about $500.

Assistant Administrator
    I am not the .45 guru compared to most but I'd consider even the Bursa .45 compact - not light but pretty tough and reliable if the UC-9 anything to go by. Well within budget too I am sure.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I got a pt-145 and I am very happy with it. I paid 391 OTD. It fires well is easy to take apart, is light weight and I forget it is there, and it conceals easy. I use it as my outdoors gun when I run, hike, MTB, and other activities.

Turn those eyes off Chris, It's hard to take your comments seriously when it's a blinking Emu talking to me...

Bersa eh? Haven't seen their .45 I don't think.

I thought I was crazy when I caught him winking out of the corner of my eye!!!

I Like My Kimbers...

but for your price...a Glock-36 (single stack) might be the ticket...
    I love my 1911's, and I disliked Glocks...but just go and pick up the G-36...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by HOLYROLLER View Post
    I thought I was crazy when I caught him winking out of the corner of my eye!!!
    lol... I just noticed it too !
    I would have never noticed if someone hadn't mentioned it...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Assistant Administrator
    It is the all seeing eye - but not the Illuminati this time -

Gotta keep y'all on the ball ya know
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I'm anxious to hear what you decide on. I looked at the Taurus Millennium Pro the 3" double stack in .45acp, and at a XD they didn't have a compact or sub compact in to compare. I even went back Saturday and started all over on looking and feeling. I love my Taurus pistols that I presently own, but there are so many more products and things for me to lust after with the XD. Hey the XD even comes equipped with the plastic holster so I can tote it around guys here fix me up with a custom or two. My dealer is giving me a good discount on either one so I may get the other later. lol Then on to the EMP that lil pistol should have it's own centerfold. But alas even with the discount he's willing to give me, I can get both of the above mentioned pistols for the price of this one. I read very good reviews about both of the pistols that are the subject of your post, and my interest.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Unless you're sticking it in your pocket, you will be better able to conceal a handgun with a shorter grip, vs. shortening the barrel. I would suggest you handle the XD45 compact. Stuff it in your waistband, or holster... doesn't have to be a perfect fit, just to get an idea. I carry a 4" XD-40 every day, and I'm certain that with the shorter grip of the .45, it would be even easier.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I have both, the Glock 36 & the Taurus PT145 Mil Pro.

It depends on what you're looking for. The Taurus is shorter, slightly thicker & heavier. It seems to kick more too, but it holds 10+1 rounds.

The Glock is longer (By 3/4"), but it's slightly thinner through the slide, but definitely thinner through the grip (It's a single stack), & it's lighter.

In my opinion, both guns are pretty accurate. The Glock's trigger is, well, a Glock. The 3rd gen. Taurus's trigger takes some getting used (For me, anyways). But once you do, it's not bad at all.

They're both very good guns. The Taurus is less expensive.

The Glock 36 is as small as the smallest ulta compact 1911 .45s. Dimensionally, they're similar. They're roughly the same length & width. The Glock's lighter, has a longer barrel & sight radius, even though they're the same length.

Well, good luck with what you decide.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

At the upper end of your $500 range would be the Kahr P45. I'm paying one off, on layaway now, for $470.

Biker

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    The Kahr P45 is thinner & about as short as the Taurus, but only holds 6+1, but for under $500?

That must have been a good deal.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Thanks guys, and thanks Chris for not killing me for calling you an Emu.

I already have a Taurus 24/7 and a Glock 34, so I am familiar with those platforms. I like the SA/DA trigger on the Taurus enough to get another. I have shot enough Glocks to know that I am fine with their trigger too.

I like the idea of getting a deep concealment .45 but to be honest I'm not limiting myself to that. I might just as easily get a Tactical XD .45 and use it as a training gun.

I just know that I have a .45 sized hole in my collection ever since I traded my Para Ordnance.

you should also look at the taurus pt 745. it's single stack so it conceals nicely and holds up well with the stainless slide. good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links