Sight my gun

This is a discussion on Sight my gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, newbie here. Would someone send me a link for sighting my pistol (or rifle). I know the very basics but would like some more ...

Thread: Sight my gun

Distinguished Member

Sight my gun

Ok, newbie here. Would someone send me a link for sighting my pistol (or rifle).
    I know the very basics but would like some more detailed help and knowledge. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    ''Sights'' ... I think you mean

Are you wanting help with using sights or - actually sighting gun in to get it hitting the right spot?

In case you want a refresh on use of open sights - check out my thread from a ways back .

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?p=42039

or this link - http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=4264
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member
    Thanks, Chris, for your in "sight". I'll be sure and go to the right "site" to figure out how to "sight" in my pistols.
    That's a "site" better than what I'm doing now.
    Ok, I'll stop.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Az tho some of it is " counter intuitive " on a glance at it , its not rocket science . but before you re sight a gun be shure that you dont have some bad habits such as " pulling " with your trigger control . Honestly IMHO most times sights are close , the user may well cast off tho .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    Yup, what RR said. Unless your doing serious target shooting, dont fool with your sights.
    If you have true adjustable sights, still dont fool with them until you shoot consistant patterns with the pistol or you will just end up in a never ending cycle of chasing bad habits.
    "Just blame Sixto"

When I sight in my rifles, I put them on sand bags to take me out of the equation. I fire three shots at the center mark from the desired distance, evaluate and make a slight adjustment. You don't want to over-adjust. Repeat until weapon is on target. If it is suddenly off target when you remove it from the sandbags, you have an issue with the way you're using the weapon.

I haven't owned a pistol with adjustable sights yet, but in the event that I do, I'll use the same method.

Distinguished Member
    Excellent advice. Thanks! Oh, I have four pistols now (two that the wife knows of...). Two of them are "dead on" for targets and the other two are dreadful. One is high left, the other is low right. Go figure?

Glad to help. :) Just make sure you pull the trigger real slow, keep the gun braced, and most of all, keep it real steady on the bags. The point of course being that the sights are pointed steady at the target and that the weapon does not move at all.

If the group looks too spread out, depending on the particular gun and distance of course, there could be some other problem.

If the group is consistently high and to the left as you say, then the sights need to be adjusted. If they can't be hand adjusted with simple tools, a gunsmith will have to mill them for you or install a different set of sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    but before you re sight a gun be shure that you dont have some bad habits such as " pulling " with your trigger control .
    Way back when, I was a decent shot with my S&W revolvers. I am relatively new to pistols. I had an issue with my Officer's ACP hitting low. I was thinking the problem was grip or wrist tension related. One of my customers is a shooting range owner/trainer & I talked with him about the problem I was having. He suggested that I was pulling it down with the trigger. I thought he was full of baloney, but it turns out he was right on. Live & learn.

When sighting in a rifle it makes it very easy if you have access to a laser boresighter. Laser boresight mine in the house at a .5 inch "target" 25 feet away. Works great. It is usually pretty close to zero at 25 yards.

After zeroing the rifle at 25 yards take the target down range to the 50, 75 or 100 yard target and check the zero there. All my high power rifles are zeroed to shoot 2 inches high at 100 yards.

Links