Chicago area bank robbery & shooting

This is a discussion on Chicago area bank robbery & shooting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is the second bank robbery shooting I've heard about this week. Guys are getting brave! http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3204497 Bank Robbery Suspects' Getaway Car Found Forensics experts ...

Thread: Chicago area bank robbery & shooting

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Chicago area bank robbery & shooting

This is the second bank robbery shooting I've heard about this week. Guys are getting brave!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3204497

Bank Robbery Suspects' Getaway Car Found

Forensics experts searched a getaway car and an empty cash box found inside for fingerprints Wednesday as authorities tried to identify a gang of bank robbers involved in a deadly holdup.

A police and FBI manhunt was on for the three masked robbers, blamed for the shooting death of a teller at the small community bank and the wounding of a security guard and 73-year-old customer.

Their maroon getaway car was found abandoned several miles from the bank, said FBI special agent Tom Simon.

"Due to the violence of the bank robbery, there's a definite police force out looking for these robbers," FBI spokeswoman Cynthia Yates said Wednesday morning. "We're hoping that someone in the community heard something or knows something."

The holdup at the Illinois Service Federal Savings and Loan on Chicago's South Side began around 9:30 a.m. Tuesday with the robbers overpowering one security guard and leaping over a teller's counter.

A second security guard exchanged fire with the robbers it wasn't clear who fired first and a 23-year-old male teller was shot in the back, said Maria Maher, chief of detectives for the Chicago Police Department.

The teller, Tramaine Gibson, died Tuesday afternoon. His father told reporters that his son was married with two children.

"Tramaine was the type of person who would give you the shirt off his back," his father, Verton Gibson, said.

The security guard who exchanged fire with the robbers was shot in the chest, and a 73-year-old female customer was injured, authorities said. Both were hospitalized in fair condition, said Advocate Christ Medical Center spokesman Mike Maggio.

At least one of the bank robbers also may have been shot in the exchange, Maher said.

The three suspects got away with a small amount of cash, Deputy Police Chief Mike Shields said.

Officials said Tuesday's holdup may be connected to a similar heist May 10 at a nearby bank.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/lo...144070223.html

(click for slideshow & video)

FBI Hopes Photos Will Help Solve Bank Robbery

Teller Killed, Security Guard And Customer Injured In Tuesday Shootout

(CBS) The FBI hopes surveillance photos released from the deadly bank robbery and shootout on the city's South Side Tuesday will lead to the capture of the three suspects involved.

As CBS 2's Kristyn Hartman reports, the FBI said Thursday morning there were no updates to report, and they were still searching for the three gunmen who shot a bank teller dead, and shot and injured a security guard and a customer Tuesday at the Illinois Service Federal Savings and Loan, at 87th Street and King Drive in the Chatham neighborhood.

"The guys who perpetrated this need to face the full bar of justice," said Kevin Sanders, the son of retired schoolteacher Dorothy Sanders, who was wounded in the robbery.

Meanwhile, CBS 2 has learned that one of the victims, 53-year-old security guard Earl Coleman, has been released from the hospital.

On Wednesday, investigators released still pictures of the masked gunmen, which were captured on surveillance video at the bank.

In one of the pictures, the gunmen can be seen taking aim at the guard they later disarmed. Another shows one of the suspects pointing his gun as someone ducks down. In a third, a gunman is seen jumping over a bank counter.

At some point, there was a shooting exchange between the suspects and Coleman.

Investigators also scoured the stolen getaway car and an empty cash box found inside it as they pleaded with the community for information that could help find the gunmen.

The FBI is also offering a $50,000 reward for information leading to arrests in the case.

Meanwhile, Dorothy Sanders' family said her wallet kept bullets from doing more damage than they did in her case

"She said she was getting ready to hit the floor and something said put your wallet in your chest like that; and she said she did and that saved her life, by the grace of God," said Dorothy's sister-in-law, Eileen Kindred.

"When the bullets started flying, they hit the wallet first and that's what deflected it away from her body. That's what saved her life, and it lodged in some other part of her body," said her brother, Roosevelt Kindred.

But 23-year-old teller Traimaine Gibson, a married father of two, lost his life in the shootout.

Gibson died after he was shot in the stomach during the bank robbery. His father, Verton Gibson, said Tramaine arrived at Mount Sinai hospital around 9:45 Tuesday morning without a pulse, was revived and fought for four hours to stay alive.

Despite their pain, Gibsonís colleagues returned to the bank Wednesday morning.

They don't know when it will re-open, but they want to be around for investigators who might have questions and who continue to search for the three suspects.

Everything you've ever wanted to know about bank robberies:

http://www.cops.usdoj.gov/files/ric/.../e03071267.pdf

NOT:

http://banking.about.com/od/security...ankrobbery.htm
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Can't be true. Guns are not allowed in Chicago. The police will protect you at all times. Excuse me, that is for Mayor Daily only.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Can't be true. Guns are not allowed in Chicago. The police will protect you at all times. Excuse me, that is for Mayor Daily only.
    i was thinking the same thing.

I suspect we'll see more of the same as the criminals discover how safe the Mayor has made it for them.
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

With all of the completely defenseless banks in Chicago, it takes a real doofus to rob one with two armed guards. Then again, if they were intelligent, they wouldn't need to steal.

This incident should make all of us consider how we will react if this were to occur while we are in a bank. It should also make each of us think about how to behave while in a bank, such as picking a teller window in an area near cover, and keeping an eye on the entrance.

VIP Member
    So long as they stick to the bank's money and they aren't shooting people they are welcome to it. The odds are against them if they keep robbing banks.

In this case it seems that the security guards started the shooting, which led to the BGs shooting, which resulted in death and injuries. Now if the BGs are going to search customers and I'm carrying, the game has changed significantly.

Like others I just don't see how this possibly could have happened in Chicago. Guns aren't allowed in Chicago. Must be Virginia's fault. (sarcasm mine)
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

What do you know. Armed security guards in a bank. Its like haveing Two marked targets for the BG to shoot. No suprise here.

Times are really tough these days that's why these kind of incidence occurs. Many families are looking for a second source of income. Since the economic collapse, the standard quantity of bank robberies in the United States began to increase starting in 2008. What's so unique about the latest news I've heard, Chris Burnett, robber, hits same bank three days in a row is that he robbed the same financial institution all three times! :D that's the spirit. Securities should really be tight.

VIP Member
    When i was a cop before i retired we called the uniform a target suit and u have some folks that want to open carry. Not me i will cc only unless im in the woods hunting or fishing. Just too dangerous to be shot dead faster then u can ascertain what happened.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MeriSJ View Post
    Times are really tough these days that's why these kind of incidence occurs. Many families are looking for a second source of income. Since the economic collapse, the standard quantity of bank robberies in the United States began to increase starting in 2008. What's so unique about the latest news I've heard, Chris Burnett, robber, hits same bank three days in a row is that he robbed the same financial institution all three times! :D that's the spirit. Securities should really be tight.
    I'd put money on the fact this wasn't a family looking for a second source of income. It was a bunch of thugs who care about nothing but what they want. They would be doing this regardless of what the economy is like.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'd put money on the fact this wasn't a family looking for a second source of income. It was a bunch of thugs who care about nothing but what they want. They would be doing this regardless of what the economy is like.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    To believe that one would have to believe these guys were working before the economy went south.

Links