Cheap red dot

Cheap red dot

This is a discussion on Cheap red dot within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want to put a red dot scope on my AK, but not spend more on it than my rifle (EOTECH, Aimpoint, Trijicon, etc...). I ...

Thread: Cheap red dot

Cheap red dot

I want to put a red dot scope on my AK, but not spend more on it than my rifle (EOTECH, Aimpoint, Trijicon, etc...). I was thinking of putting a cheap 30mm red dot on it. I was looking at the Truglo 1x and 2x models, but evryone seems to make them (Tasco, Simmons, Burska, etc...). Does anyone have experience with any of these? Thanks for the help.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

I have a very cheap red dot on a Ruger 10/22, it works but I wouldn't trust it that much, certainly not with my life on a SD rifle.
    It was about $10 from CDNN. It looks like it cost $10 too, but it gave me a taste for the things and I will buy a real one now I know I like them.

VIP Member
    I have the TruGlo 2X on my Beretta CX4 and have been very happy with it. It seems to be well built and sturdy enough to take the treatment that the CX4 will get.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by normal View Post
    I want to put a red dot scope on my AK, but not spend more on it than my rifle (EOTECH, Aimpoint, Trijicon, etc...). I was thinking of putting a cheap 30mm red dot on it. I was looking at the Truglo 1x and 2x models, but evryone seems to make them (Tasco, Simmons, Burska, etc...). Does anyone have experience with any of these? Thanks for the help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TASCO-OPTIMA-200...QQcmdZViewItem
    No connection to the seller, other than having purchased from him. He seems to have bought out a ton of the factory re-furbed Optima 2000s. He's a good guy to deal with, and the sights are excellent. I have one on a Glock19, and am debating whether an AK or Ruger MkII needs the other! I don't know how low he'll go on these, I paid $100/each, for mine.

You will need a Weaver-style base, available from E Arthur Brown for about $18.

You can do Barska- I've heard they are decent, and Tasco would not be bad. I would not spend less than $80 for one- the quality really declines, under that.

Forgot to add: I've heard really good things about TruGlo's products in general, though not specifically on their dot sights.

Assistant Administrator
    I have tried a number of cheapie red dots and it can be a lottery but - they can be satisfactory. Bearing in mind that an AK is minute of pie plate then the main deal is that a red dot holds adequate zero and takes recoil.

From choice however, I'd prefer to start at the level of Millet which is about $100 or so. Oh and there is a Bushnell Trophy I have on my 22/45 which IIRC was about $65 ... and has four reticle choices. It is not bad at all. That is a 30mm - the Millet is 1".
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1943 - 2009
    I have a Bushnell Trophy red dot sight on my Browning Buckmark Camper. I like it a lot.

The only problem I've had with it was a mysterious loss of zero while at the range a while back. Traced it to loose base mount screws. Cinched 'em down with red Loc-Tite, haven't had a problem since.

Even .22 LR generates enough recoil energy to loosen mount screws.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Assistant Administrator
    Her's mine on the 22/45 - meant to post pic earlier. Pic after that is one of my SRH's with a Millet. Final pic is the AK with a cheapie BEC ''Miradot" ... and it does the job - only $30 IIRC.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I installed a TruGlo 25mm like this one on my AKlon and I am happy with it. Before that I had installed a Tasco 30mm and ran like a champ.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Links