Arm Your Police Force....

Arm Your Police Force....

This is a discussion on Arm Your Police Force.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Heres something that I think will make a fun little thread. If you were made Police Chief of a small town, and were in charge ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arm Your Police Force....

Thumbs up Arm Your Police Force....

Heres something that I think will make a fun little thread.

If you were made Police Chief of a small town, and were in charge of arming the officers with weapons and equipment, what would you choose?

Lets keep in mind this is a small town and NOT a rich one. So no "every officer carries a .50 Barrett Rifle in the trunk" stuff.

Lets say the town is about 20,000 residents. I dont know how many officers that means it would take, but lets say you have 30 officers to arm an equip.

Heres my list:

Sidearm;
    Sig Sauer 229~R SA/DA in .40 caliber.
    Back up gun: Glock 26 or Sig Sauer P239 both in 9mm or .40cal (LEO's choice)
    3 extra handgun magazines (4 total). So that's 49 rounds (Sig 12 round mags + 1 in the pipe)

Rifle:
    Bushy, Colt, RRA or DPMS 14.5" M4A3 with Trijicon or Aimpoint optics.

Shotgun:
    Winchester 1300 Defender 12 Gauge (Also made by FN)

Uniforms: would be Olive Drab in color and a fitted baseball style hat with department logo in black

Pants would also be OD and "Cargo" style with leg pockets.

One can of pepper spray. NO Tazers, I think they are very prone to be used as abuse and some people can die from them. (remember you are innocent till proven guilty!)

Vehicles:
    would be the Supped up Chevy Malibu's and half of the fleet would be Nissan Xterra's.
    Why the Xterra? They are very well made (built on a pickup frame) and have lots of room and features for add-ons and cargo room for tactical use. Also have a much higher Ground Clearance than the Chevy Tahoe and Dodge SUV's. Xterra's are also thinner and better maneuverable than those other two trucks which makes them better for high speed city driving and getting through tight spaces.

Other equipment:
    Kevlar Helmet for any heavily armed confrontations, M40 Gas Mask, K-9 Units will have either Black Labradors or German Shepherds, Dashboard cameras on all vehicles, CB radio's for any highway calls for help from the public, officers get incentives for taking Spanish, Chinese, Korea, and Arabic language classes.

Im sure I will think of other things to add to my list.

But what about you folks? Care to play along?
    Last edited by Sig229; May 25th, 2007 at 12:49 AM.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

30 officers for a town of 20,000? Multiple k-9 units? Whew!!! I'd move, I would hate to pay the taxes in that county!!! lol
    Beretta 92FS

20,000 people, that's my whole county.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Whatever this guy is wearing:

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I'll play.

Uni's would be black or grey cargos with white or black polo shirts w/ Police on both front and back with department patch on right shoulder and flag on the right. Black baseball cap with department patch.

Have to do research on vests before chose.

No pepper spray (too windy in No Dak)

Personal choice whether or not to carry tazer.

XD-45 tacticals primary. I would probably talk to my people to see if there was preference beforehand though. BUGS personal choice.

Try to get a Stag arms deal for the carbine. Or talk to Barretts about their 6.8 Spec

A Remintong 870 or a Berretta Inertia driven shottie. Ah heck, might try to get a couple of the new auto-shotguns the Army is using now.

For subs H&K had UMPS in their inventory at one point.

Patrol Vehicles a mix of Crown Vics and Expeditions.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I'd worry less about their equipement and more about their level of training.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Good point. (Dang it.)
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Sure, training is just as important as gear.

But that's a whole other spectrum. Plus, here on a firearm board, all of us know about gear. And only some of us know about training.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    One can of pepper spray. NO Tazers, I think they are very prone to be used as abuse and some people can die from them. (remember you are innocent till proven guilty)
    I would hire new guys then, and send myself to a few Taser training classes to learn about the Taser, what it is and isnt before I made my choices based on rumor and false data.

My choices would be Sigs for the sidearms, Officers choice of model.
    RRA patrol rifles, No shotguns but a few 870's would be avail. if needed. Tasers would be issued to everybody on the road, no doubt about it. Everything else would be bought by the officer on a allowance from the dept., nylon gear is standard, leather is discouraged. Ax handles will be standard issue.
    Required equipment (in additon to gun, mags radio) on belt is two sets of cuffs, Taser, Asp and a small torch... G3 is suggested. A large light is standard in the car.
    Cars would be Chargers and PSP Tahoe 4x4's. (its tough to outfit a oddball car proper with the equipment needed. it can be done buts its $$$$ Thats why you only see a few different makes/models in a police package)

Most important, each officer will pass a doctors physical each year and 1.5 mile run, push ups, sit ups, and must bench press at least their own body weight.
    Last edited by SIXTO; May 25th, 2007 at 08:37 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Used Glocks all around, and I get a big fat bonus for saving the dept so much $$.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Sidearm: Officers Choice in .45
    Rifle: HK 417 .308
    Shotgun: Remington 870
    Vehicles: Chevy :)

VIP Member
    Handgun:

Glock 22 or 23 (officer choice)

Shotgun:

Remington 870 12ga

Rifle:

AR-15

Uniform:

I would NOT have them wearing fatigues! They would wear a clean PRESSED uniform, color does not matter. I don't want uniformed LEOs running around looking like SWAT members or military. If they are on duty making traffic stops....etc.......IN UNIFORM. If they are training or on a special operation...then fatigues OK....but not for everyday wear.

I don't want a police state mentality in our men & women in law enforcement. The tactical look screams 'jack booted thug' to me.

The public is more likely to respond more positively to a better dressed uniform than to the paramilitary look. All those who have been in the military know what I mean............When you were in fatigues, cammies or dungees & chambray you were not as spit & polished as when in your class As, dress Blues or dress whites. You may not be as comfortable in dress uniform, but LEOs are interacting with the public. I see no better way than in CLEAN PRESSED uniforms.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Side arm G34's

Save some money on .40 ammo and .45 ammo
    Because if they can't hit with a 9mm they sure ain't going to hit with a .40 or .45. Plus your modern 9mm HP's are very good performers.

Put all the money back into training programs.

Offer them a 870 and then tell them that they can invest in their own AR or something that excepts AR Mags, SIG, Aug, FS 2000 if they want to. If they buy their own AR Rifle department will issue opitcs Probably Aimpoints.

Have a program set up for the Armorer to have them slap together a good M4orgery style rifle for a minimal price. The guys who are serious enough about their job will go out and get a nice RR or Bushy or smith M&P and then get accustommed to it on their own. Department pays for the ammo.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Since i have actually done this for an SO that served about 15k folks i will set back a bit and watch the suggestions here , so far its an " interesting " discussion and BTW imho the officer count is too high by an order of magnitude lol but none the less carry on with equiping a road division of a dept .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Since i have actually done this for an SO that served about 15k folks i will set back a bit and watch the suggestions here , so far its an " interesting " discussion and BTW imho the officer count is too high by an order of magnitude lol but none the less carry on with equiping a road division of a dept .

What if it is 15K hurricane katrina victims?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links