Study: Soldiers Want Deadlier Guns

This is a discussion on Study: Soldiers Want Deadlier Guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've seen references to this topic on the board, and thought the opinions of the ones on the ground would be of interest. From: http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...tml?ESRC=eb.nl ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Study: Soldiers Want Deadlier Guns

I've seen references to this topic on the board, and thought the opinions of the ones on the ground would be of interest.

From: http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...tml?ESRC=eb.nl

My son is a Marine, and I found this part very disturbing:

"The study found the most stoppage problems with the M249 machine gun and M9 pistol, with an average of about 30 percent of respondents saying they experienced stoppages with each weapon in firefights. About four in ten Soldiers who said they experienced jams during combat with their pistols or machine guns claimed it took them out of the fight."

Not a good recommendation for keeping the present arms.

They should have NEVER gotten rid of the 30/06 and .45 rounds

"Soldiers who attach accessories to their weapons experienced a disproportionate number of malfunctions, with M249 users nine times more likely to experience a stoppage "if accessories were attached via zip cord, four times more likely if attached with duct tape and three times more likely if attached with dummy cords or rails.""

""Accessory attachments had a significant impact on reported stoppages," the report said. "Those who attached accessories to their weapon were more likely to experience stoppages, regardless of how the accessories were attached.""

The SAW is a very good automatic weapon. Sounds like the troops are bringing a lot of unnecessary grief on themselves.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Damm where to start on this hachet job of reporting lol .
    Nearly 80 percent of Soldiers said in a recent survey they are satisfied with their weapons
    might be a starting point .. but hold on ... they also seemingly said
    though almost half recommended a replacement for the standard-issued M9 pistol or ammunition with more stopping power.
    as well . additionaly this was quoted
    Additionally, nearly 30 percent of Soldiers in the December 2006 survey, conducted on behalf of the Army by the Center for Naval Analyses, said the M4 carbine should be replaced or more deadly ammunition fielded.
    Now maby its just me , but somehow the percent does not add up . I am not a fan of the ar system , or the beretta pistol , but both seem to work HK and some others want to " fix " our standard m4/16 now but guys , some in the pacific theater hated the garand too because it took to much training and cleaning to run . There is huge money involved in a new service rifle , or mods to our current one ( which is all that the hk is ) . Lets be slow on this and when we change go to a more effective round as well .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Member Array Intentional Flincher's Avatar
    How can they say this
    The study found the most stoppage problems with the M249 machine gun and M9 pistol, with an average of about 30 percent of respondents saying they experienced stoppages with each weapon in firefights. About four in ten Soldiers who said they experienced jams during combat with their pistols or machine guns claimed it took them out of the fight.
    And this
    Though vocal critics of the M4 say it's prone to jamming in the talcum-like sand environments of Iraq and Afghanistan, only 19 percent of M4 users said they experienced stoppages in combat.
    And this
    But of those with malfunctioning M4s, nearly 20 percent said they were "unable to engage the target with that weapon during a significant portion of or the entire firefight after performing immediate or remedial action to clear the stoppage," the report said.
    And then say this
    The survey lends weight to Army claims that current-issued weapons are effective despite growing criticism from Soldiers and lawmakers on Capitol Hill that the service should re-assess the standard M4 - as well as the M9 pistol.
    P.S. How much slower could we be on this issue? There have been reliability problems with the M16/M4 platform since before I was born.
    Also from what I understand, the HK really isn't very much like an M16 in operating principle at all.
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Voltaire

Internal , all the hk does is trade more moveing parts for the action that we have now . Instead of gas running the action , the hk system ( as all " improved piston systems " do is put a piston in instead of a gas tube that channels gas to impact the bolt carrior group . All auto / semi auto systems need cleaned . even the famed ak system ( which uses a similar gas piston and foreward vent system to the hk rebuild of the ar top end ) . Our " AR " system is imho too tight with too fine accuracy for a good battle rifle . but is nice that you can take a marksman , and a cheap scope , and make what amounts to a ww2 level sniper out of the best shot in the platoon too . The ar platform is picky about being cleaned and lubed , but at 200 meters your average marine can shoot a helmet, first time , every time . and normaly there is a bad guy head in said helmet . There are allways new arms that are " better " for us to buy , but my opinion is we need to stay where we are untill we are ready to change cal too , then look at the envelope .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Senior Moderator
    Soldiers Want Deadlier Guns
    Of course they do.

Anybody that has even been in a shootout wants "deadlier guns".

It aint like TV where everyone gets shot and quite moving immediatley. People that have been shot will continue to shoot back if possible.

Personally, if I had to shoot someone, I'd want their arms and legs and head separating from their torso's and landing several yards away. At least you'd know that you hit em.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Other than I would like to see the raw data so I could make my own conclussions, I have to add that I've been hearing for a long while now about the HK system and not in a good light. First, some people I trust have issued very nasty comments about the reliabilty of the system in non-combat conditions. Also, there is a heavy lobbying from HK to be the new weapons system in competition with Barret's system so I'd take the "report" with a huge grain of salt.

And as for more "deadly" weapon... once again it is not the weapon but the ammo. Screw the Geneva convention and issue hollowpoints.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    They want deadlier weapons and we should see to it that they get them. Period.

I don't know which weapons, exactly, but I do have some idea (based on the reports) of what not to get.

.45's, to begin with. H&K USP? Maybe so, but spendy. Springfield XD? Probably a great choice. Glock? Fine. Sig? Good choice, no doubt, but spendy. Ruger? Why not? Made in USA, solid, reliable, get a high enough capacity (no less than 10 rounds, more if possible).

Rifles? M14. FN-FAL. H&K G3. Garand (if modified for higher capacity...possible? I dunno.). CETME? Whatever. Whatever it is, make it a killer-diller, ++++.

I agree about the hollow points for the pistols. I'd also say soft-points for the rifles.

You want the dudes you're shooting at to S-T-O-P, with extreme prejduice. War isn't a game. It also calls for unrestrained use of brutality and force. Period. It is, as Billy Sherman (not a favorite of mine, as I consider myself something of a son of the South) put it, "cruelty....it cannot be refined".

BTW, until we are willing to do what is NECESSARY to win, we'll lose.... I have an old Von Clausewitz text that says it well: "If one side uses force without compunction, undeterred by the bloodshed it involves, while the other side refrains, the first will gain the upper hand."

That point was eloquently illustrated in "Apocolypse Now", in the scene where Sheen hear Brando tell about the VC amuptating the arms of children vaccinated by the Americans.

Brando talks about the pure "crystalline" evil exhibited by such acts, then refers to it as genius- - and observes, quite correctly, that the U.S. was just not committed enough to defeat enemies who were willing to do such things.

I was against the war (our squeamishness about doing what is necessary was one reason), and I still am, but if you're gonna do it, DO IT RIGHT. It'll get over with faster, and with less loss of life.

But we won't.
    Last edited by Tangle; May 30th, 2007 at 12:00 PM. Reason: I deleted, "So until we blow up their women and children in their mosques, they will (continue to) win."
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

HK is really good at keeping stuff out of the hands of us peons , and tat the same time lobbying for thier system in unconventional ways . Having shot a hk top end on a older m16 bottom ( no burst control ) . I have to say it is as good but no better than a colt top end . the hk piston had some difficulty with cow **** when thrown into a reclimation pond , but then so did the original colt top end , the colt came back into service faster tho .

I'm with useing hollow points. what does the enemy use. We should go into this war with no holds barred and to win.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I'm with useing hollow points. what does the enemy use. We should go into this war with no holds barred and to win.
    To bad we allow NATO to call the shots on this topic. NATO says no HP, so ball it is.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    Rifles? M14. FN-FAL. H&K G3. Garand (if modified for higher capacity...possible? I dunno.). CETME? Whatever. Whatever it is, make it a killer-diller, ++++.
    Not for nothing, Randy, but have you ever humped one of these, and 400 rounds of ammo (and body armor, and water, food, grenades, radio, batteries, optics, and on and on and on) up and down mountains, in 120 degree heat, for miles and miles and days and days? An M4 gets heavy right around the 10k mark... (And yes, I know, our grandfathers carried all that and more, it can be done. My spotters carried M14s. We all had optics and lights that made our weapons heavier. I carried a spare barrel, tripod, T&E, and 800rds of 7.62N linked when I first got to 2/75, so I know it's possible...doesn't mean I'm in any rush to do it again.)

Also consider that our troops right now are by and large fighting out of vehicles, where space is at a very high premium. Of course, when they do dismount, they are often as not on a city street, fighting in and around buildings, with all that that entails. Short, light, maneuverable weapons are more then a convenience, they're a necessity.

Just so you know, this isn't an attack - I think that improvements could be made to our small arms as well. I just think that many people clamor for a big, long, heavy “battle rifle” without thinking through all the situations that a soldier and his rifle are faced with. I wish I could carry a controllable, 6 lb rifle in .50BMG with a 6” long, 50 round magazine, but I can’t. All things in firearms are based on compromise, and this is certainly no exception. In fact, the assault rifle may be the biggest “compromise” weapon out there…
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Lead Moderator
    Bigger bang = More recoil. Lighter recoil/ faster follow up shots, more ammo can be carried.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Gee, lets issue our soldiers Hollow Points and see just how much more effective their firearms become. Stop holding back our troops and give them the tools to get the job done. Just a simple improvement like ammunition can make a world of difference. I'll chip in for a case of 9mm Winchester Ranger 124gr +P when they approve it!! Good enough for Cops and Citizens of the USA, it should be good enough for our Troops!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links