Restless Sleeper . . . Gun by Bedside a Good Idea?

This is a discussion on Restless Sleeper . . . Gun by Bedside a Good Idea? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When I am sleeping at night, I keep my Glock 26 loaded and chambered right next to me on the bed stand. I have no ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restless Sleeper . . . Gun by Bedside a Good Idea?

Restless Sleeper . . . Gun by Bedside a Good Idea?

When I am sleeping at night, I keep my Glock 26 loaded and chambered right next to me on the bed stand. I have no kids, and my roommates are all responsible and am not worried about them at all.

What concerns me just a little is that I used to be a really light sleeper. As a kid I would move around a lot and sometimes would wake up in really weird positions (turned around the wrong way in the bed, or waking up on the floor) , and I have apparently even done some sleepwalking once or twice.

As I got older, I have gotten much better, I really sleep like a log every night. Does anyone think that there is any type of safety issue here?? I mean I would have to grab the gun and fully depress that trigger somehow, and I am not particularly worried about it, but just want to make sure I am being as safe as possible, to myself and my roommates.

Anyone have thoughts on if I am safe now, should maybe leave it unchambered (odd being as I walk around concealed, chambered and ready everywhere else...), or perhaps maybe even use an easy access safe right near the bed somewhere.

I know this is kind of a strange question, and might seem a little paranoid, but I think you can never be too careful with safety. Any feedback or thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

Rather than keeping it on a nightstand, I keep my Glock on the boards of my bedframe behind the mattress. The barrel protrudes down through the boards and the grip stays pointing up for an easy grab, and there is plenty of room to get either arm back there and since the frame is up against the wall, there is no chance of it falling down or me grabbing at thin air.

This keeps it out of sight and within easy reach. I figure its good that nobody knows it is in there, one would be hard pressed to find it, and if in the off chance I ever did wake up with someone that had already gained entry to the house or even my bedroom, they could not obtain my weapon because it would not be within plain sight or easy access. Also it gives a chance of still getting it in your hands in the event someone is looming over your bed when you wake up. This space is right underneath my pillow as well, so you have the same access to it without actually keeping the gun under your pillow.

If I had some sort of sleepwalking issue though, I'd be putting my gun in an electronic keypad safe or something.. then again, with as many firearms and weapons I have, chances are I could easily obtain and use one. I'd try concealing it better to lessen chances.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    I put mine in a holster by the bed, so I can't accidently do something stupid with it.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Senior Moderator
    You have said that you were a child when you had the sleeping troubles and that you sleep much better now. If that is still the case I wouldn't really worry about it.

While I was suffering from insomnia I did a lot of research on the subject of sleep and found out some very interesting things.

Sleep walking and other forms of parasomnia are usually performed in the first couple of stages of sleep when the brain is just beginning to sort through, store and organize the data from the day. Most forms of parasomnia are also more readily found in children and grown out of. Therefore it is very reasonable to believe that the troubles you had in your childhood are forever to stay in your childhood.

Because parasomniacs can do normal functions like brush their teeth, get dressed, even have sex or eat, it is very understandable to believe that they can pick up a gun an fire it.

However, parasomiacs usually mimic actions done during the day. They aren't very intuitive and when they encounter resistance the mind is confused and they either wake up or start doing something else. They also usually can't preform very complex tasks and those who can are under careful scrutiny so that they do not hurt themselves or others.

In light of that I would make the suggestion of doing something for evening preparation that you would not normally do doing waking hours and varying your routine so that it does not become routine.

Parasomniacs mimic repetitious actions that are performed during waking hours and so if you do not make routine out of going to bed your brain should never pick up on that routine and therefore never mimic it in sleep.

Also, parasomniacs are more likely to have an episode after having a full or stressful day. If you have had a horrible, stressful, anxious or upsetting day you may wish to lock your gun up and put the keys rather far away from your self.

However, as stated, many children who experience sleep disorders grow out of them and never experience them again as their brain develops further. I do believe from your description that this is your case.

When I was a child my sister and myself used to sleep walk. I also suffered from insomnia. As of late my sleep patterns have stabilized unless severely stressed.

Often I sleep with my gun under my pillow. I have woken with my hand around the grip before but never with the safety disengaged or my finger even near the trigger. I think my hand finds it in my sleep and grips it like a sleeping child grips a finger placed in it's hand and that is the extent of how far my brain with take that action.

I don't believe you will have a problem, especially with the gun being on your night stand, but only you know what kind of problems you've had and it's up to you and your confidence level.

If you are still not convinced, try to find a sleep clinic in your area and have them check you out to see if you have any sleep issues. A lot of insurance companies will cover such tests as sleep is very vital to the living process.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by limatunes; May 27th, 2007 at 06:15 PM.

VIP Member
    Put it in the night stand and alarm the dwelling.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I mounted a kydex holster to my bed frame, and snugged up the retention screw. It's not going anywhere without a determined tug, but it's readily available. Oh yeah, we have no children yet, so no worries there.

VIP Member
    I have night terrors now and then. I am partially awake and I think I hear someone in the house. I try to open my eyes and lift my head but its like my eyes and head are made of concrete and I cant do anything. I'm paralyzed. I'm telling myself "wake up, someone is in the house". Finally when I do wake up, I have to walk the house with my gun, then walk outside around the house because I dont know if I really heard someone or was dreaming it. Its a terrifying experience.
    I keep my gun (1 of them ) by my bed, but just inside a drawer, so I have to take an extra step to get to it. Its also in a holster.
    Limatunes, I can't imagine sleeping with a gun under my pillow. I know you are as responsible as anyone with a gun. I could'nt sleep with one that close to my head.

Lima... I hate to say it, but under the pillow? BAD idea, especially with the sleep disorder background you mentioned.

I think your concerns are valid, and so long as you take the suggestions and keep the gun somewhere else other than under your pillow, I think you'll be alright.

I am a new gun owner, and last night was debating about whether or not I am ready to keep my gun loaded. I feel safe with it, as I am a very cautious person - but I have a lot of sleeping problems.

I wake up a few times a week looking for people I see in my room, trying to turn off my radio (b/c I think I hear it), trying to find that spider I just saw, and doing other stuff that is totally crazy and strange. I really don't trust myself with a loaded gun in my room at night. I decided a better option for me is to keep my magazine loaded and near my gun. That way, I have to pull the slide back, put the mag in, and pop the slide forward. I hope this is enough time for me to realize, "oh - riiiight, I am sleeping and what I am about to do makes no sense!" Also the gun and the mag are far away enough that I'll have to get out of bed to get them.

Just find something that makes you comfortable, but don't sleep with it under your pillow, that seems dangerous. Good luck!

Administrator
    IMO, its generally not a good idea for anyone to have a gun right next to them unprotected and ready to go while they are sleeping. One reason is the concern of the Og poster, and another is who is to say you are not going to get snuck up on by a BG or a child wanders into your room... you see where I am going with this.
    At least keep it out of sight or in a place that requires a complex movement or a little fine motor skill to gain access to the weapon.
    "Just blame Sixto"

me
    Mine is holstered and sitting on the night stand right now. for a while I left it mag in slide locked back unholstered but I have decided for me this option works for now.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I keep my Beretta 96 by the bed in a holster, chambered with safety on. I figure I can draw and release the safety in about 1/2 a millisecond if someone is breaking in. I also keep a tactical light in my bedstand... a gun's not too useful if you can't see the bad guy.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

How about this? Ever see those little alarms you can by in a 10 pack off the TV or a dollar store, you separate the two parts and a 110db alarm goes off? Just use one of those on your night stand drawer and put the gun in it, it will wake you up if you open it in your sleep, and it can be turned on and off from the outside if you like so it doesn't go off when you are conscious of what you are doing.

I sleep with 3 .45s w/extra magazines on a bookshelf about 5 feet from my bed. I also have 5 dogs. I will have plenty notice that the BGs are breaking in, so I don't need to keep a gun right at hand's distance.

Dogs are the best burglar alarm you can have.

Lead Moderator
    If yuo have a early alarm , why not put the gun alittle further away? Try having a roommate run in and wake you suddenly, see how long it takes you to be fully awake and able to function.(unloaded or lock gun of course). Having a loaded and ready to go gun, yet being groggy or half asleep is not the best idea. Especially with a light trigger pull gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links