Overdue: S&W Model 65 Range Report.

This is a discussion on Overdue: S&W Model 65 Range Report. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sorry for the long delay but I finally got the chance of testing my new/old Mod 65 (4' barrel, ramp sight) at the last IDPA ...

Thread: Overdue: S&W Model 65 Range Report.

VIP Member

Overdue: S&W Model 65 Range Report.

Sorry for the long delay but I finally got the chance of testing my new/old Mod 65 (4' barrel, ramp sight) at the last IDPA match.
    My fellow shooters, aware of my shortcomings as a shooter, were less than thrilled when I showed up with a wheel gun. but I managed to find a dedicated SO who did not mind running me.

I shot with the gun at a range but I don't mind much the results in a static & tranquil enviroment. I like to see how well I do with a gun on the move and a bit under stress. The first stage was disastrous! but I was amazed at the control I had on the gun. I guess being a 4 incher and a massive steel work by S&W, the darn thing was pretty controlable. Recoil was the last thing on my mind after the first few shots. As a long time semi-suto shooter, I found unerving going 'click' so quick. I practiced relaods at home but again, on a match, it was confusing at first and I looked like somebody trying to shove a brick through a straw. At the end of the match, I was doing average but missed a target altogether (10 points dow plus failure to neutralize) but not because of the gun but because I didn't see the darn thing.
    The trigger is as it came from the gunshop, no modifications but I found it not bad at all. I have shot smis with worse triggers. Muzzle climb was minimun for me and short and medium range targets were being hit in the A Zones (sometimes ). As for long range targets (25 yards and longer).... Ouch! I sucked. I have problems with the ramp sight and I am still trying to figure out where the darn thing has to go so I can hit the paper.

Single action trigger is light! I don't have a trigger scale but I'd guess 4.5 Lbs or 5. Great for shots that need you steady.

Overall, I love the gun. It is solid, smooth and hits the intended target when I can figure out where to put the front sight. I painted the ramp with green luminescent paint and it stays with the wife on her side of the bed when not in use by me. A friend reccomended the intallation of a XS 1911 sight but implies some $250 worth of gunsmithing that I can't do right now.

Great gun!!!!!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

I have 2 model 13's which are the same gun but blued. The 4 inch is nice but I love the 3 inch one! Steve48

I have a 3" 65 that I carry once in awhile.

Senior Moderator
    I'm glad you ran IDPA with it. A few more times and you'll be humming.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    I think I'll run the rest of this year's matches with it. I want to get confortable with it as a BUG for SHTF.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Assistant Administrator
    Good for you Miggy - indeed continued use in compo' will definitely polish your technique and bring its rewards.

I always want to run a wheelie in my IDPA but seem to chicken out, drifting back to wanting my shooting to be effectively carry gun practice.

Coupla years ago I used my M25 - lotta fun but not too quick! The one I do still want to try - with 357 loads too - is my bobbed-hammer M28 4" ...... it is slick as all get out and a joy to shoot. I really need to get some Comp III speedloaders tho, as my Comp II's are just that bit slower.

like somebody trying to shove a brick through a straw
    Lovely description
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    I ran IDPA with my Ruger Police Six a few times before I sold it (I have built a kicking machine to punish myself every night becuase I sold it). My Rossi had a horrible trigger and I "fixed" it no it is even worse, so I am envious of everyone who runs a wheelie in IDPA
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Chris, If anything, you need to shoot some matches to get confortable with the gun and the reloading process. I don't have to tell you shooting a revolver is a different animal altogether and you never know when you will be forced to use it. At least that is the way I see it.
    Randy Cain.

Links