I have a new pest eliminator

This is a discussion on I have a new pest eliminator within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a large number of grackles and pidgeons that have started using my backyard as a bombing range. You can't walk out there without ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a new pest eliminator

DC Founder

I have a new pest eliminator

I have a large number of grackles and pidgeons that have started using my backyard as a bombing range. You can't walk out there without trees full of the grackles starting to yell at you. They also spend much of the day walking around the swimming pool trying to figure out how they can drink out of it. Several have had the bright idea to just jump in only to find that there's no way for them to get out. After finding some wierd "stuff" in the pool I watched and found a number of them were dropping dry dog food, acquired from the neighbor's dog bowl, into the pool, presumably to soften up for easier dining.

I have reached the end of my rope on these pests and have been tempted to load up the shotgun, but living in a suburban environment, I decided against that. Instead, I bought a pellet gun. I
    thought all pellet guns were relatively small, light, moderate power and quiet. At least with the one I bought, I was wrong on every point. It is a full size, heavy, 1100fps air rifle that sounds like you're shooting a .22 short. With much use, the thing will serve to build up my arms. It's a Winchester 1000SB LR .177 caliber with a 4x32 scope. I haven't had a chance to get it sighted in yet, but the first time I walked out in the back yard with it, the birds got real scarce.

I should also add that we are on an acre lot with a 7 foot block wall around the back yard and I plan only shooting if they are firmly on the ground, and that's easy to accomplish. You just put the hose in the middle of the yard and turn it on. They will come for miles. I won't go into pidgeons, the local rats with wings that mess up everything they roost on, including our orange trees. We only had two of them (that presented no problem) until a neighbor on our lock started feeding them in her front yard. We now have a population of about 20 or so.

If any of you have pests around your yard, this might be something to consider.

Here's a catalog picture of this badboy:

Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

2. Remove Ads

I too live on an acre lot but my immediate next-door neighbor is an Elementary School, no plinking the birds for me.
    My dogs however kill everything and anything stupid enough to stand still for more than a few seconds.

Nice gun. I'll have to get one. We get rats the size of small squirrls that eat the oranges.

Assistant Administrator
    Looks well useful

My answer to similar problems was to have this import deal - it's not as convenient as your break-barrel - it has side lever and is fiddly to load. But, with a red dot it has proved quite serious out to 25 yards if needed!!!! Claimed 1,000 fps .177 - actual chrono - 950 ... not too bad.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have on sympathy for your problem, If you had lived in the daily flyway of Canada geese, you would know what bunker-buster poop from the sky is really like. We called them B-52s, and thet were only slightly less dangerous.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Lead Moderator
    Nice gun. Should serve well for pest control.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Are you going to put kill/victory marks on your stock when you start whacking them?
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

me
    a couple dead should do the trick for the rest
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

That should serve you well. I bought a Winchester 1000X a few years ago for the same reason. It has proven to be quite effective against all sorts of yard pests including rabbits, squirrels, crows, etc.

I have recently been considering a similar purchase--for similar reasons. However it sure would be nice to find something that wasn't so loud. Any suggestions?

Brian

The newer spring-piston guns like the Winchester are quieter than the ole Benjamins. They will settle down after a few hundred rounds or so. I use a AirArms TX200C sidelever that came with an internal "moderator" that changes the muzzle report. At 850 fps in a .22 pellet them pidgeons get a nice wake-up call!
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

My Dad has Benjamin air rifle that you pump up, so you control how much pressure is built up. Less pumps would give you a quieter shot, but of course not as much power to take out those big yard pests.

Administrator
    Ahh, air guns I still have lots of fun with mine. My favorite is still my Sheridan 6mm it takes just about anything one could expect it too.

The spring guns are a lot more quite than the others.

For pest contol, Ive had good luck with those fake owls and rubber snakes. You just have to keep moving them around to keep the pests guessing. But airguns are more fun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Bumper that is a nice air rifle,I used an old Sheridan Blue streak for quite a few years blasting ground squirrels and gophers and the occasional pigeon in a increasing urban environment(large subdivision full of sheep).The fun Factor is way way up there...and Know one knew I was there....kind of a gopher sniper!!!!! Have Fun!

Senior Moderator
    My only air gun is a Daisy Red Ryder.

I do like the idea of kill marks. Stripes on the barrel would be a great idea.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links