Used highway patrol guns

This is a discussion on Used highway patrol guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at the local south Florida gun show this weekend. I happened near a table that had a bunch of S&W 4006s, so I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used highway patrol guns

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Used highway patrol guns

I was at the local south Florida gun show this weekend. I happened near a table that had a bunch of S&W 4006s, so I took a closer look. (My first gun ever was a 411, which is the low-end version of the 4006, with an alloy frame instead of steel.)

At first, I just saw the one. Then I realized that each of the guns around the first one were all the same model. Then I looked up and saw a sign that said that they were California Highway Patrol trade-ins.

You never saw such an assortment of beat-to-hell, crappy looking guns!

I mean, they looked they'd been through a woodchipper! Every one of them! I just don't see how a holstered gun, certainly not drawn and fired every day (or even every month or every six months) would have gotten to look how these guns had looked.

I also didn't know that CHP issued the 4006 (but it's not like I keep up on that kind of thing). Why issue a gun that carries only 11+1 when so much better .40 capacity is available (GLOCK 22, for example, at 15+1)?

But the weird thing was, each of the guns -- there had to be about 7 or 8 of them -- looked almost identically worn.

Strange.

2. Remove Ads

Maybe CHP wanted an external safety or mag safety or both. Or they heard something about Glocks that somebody did not like.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Who knows. Maybe those guns were just used for training and were the CHP's "Beater" guns.
    How much did they want for them?
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

VIP Member
    MAybe the old S&W deal they had with the Clinton Admin?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    MAybe the old S&W deal they had with the Clinton Admin?
    Mind telling e a little info on that?
    I don't think I ever heard about it.
    Im sure it was a corrupt deal, considering the two party's involved.
    California + Clinton= Bad News for everyone.

The California Highway Patrol was the first agency ever to go to the .40S&W cartridge. And, naturally, the Smith & Wesson 4006 was the weapon that the cartridge was designed around, and the cartridge was developed by Winchester in 180gr configuration. The Sig 229 soon followed as did the Glock 22 & 23, then of course, a host of others.

If they were going for a decent price, I woulda bought one just for a conversation piece as well as a part of history. Of course, you gotta realize that these weapons were prolly close to 16-17 years old!

Lead Moderator
    Possibly used for academy training as well? I know my PD academy, we used the old guns that got replaced with newer models.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    CHP also used the S&W because of the mag released/won't fire safety. Along with what Glock'em down said, that's why they used the S&W, anyways.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

They have probably been in a storage bin for years since the department got Glocks.

I don't like exPD guns, Sixto swears it's all ok but something about sits wrong on me. Getting in a traffic stop with a rookie who thinks you just killed a cop and stole his gun, being accused of impersonating an Officer. Not worth the stress.
    YMMV.

Not to worry, the new CHP and other california departments issue arms are plastic with da-glo orange muzzles. When you pull their trigger, their internal speakers enunciate in three languages:
    Please stop what you are doing, Please be good, If you are not good, I will shoot you with my loving, caring, equal opportunity pop-gun.
    You will not be hurt, you will not be deported, but please be good or I will have to talk to you until you will be good. And I know you are really misunderstood and no-one loves you, not even your mother.
    So I will only threaten you with my plastic popgun until you are a good boy again,

Administrator
    I've always said that carrying a gun puts far more wear and tear on a gun than shooting it, this is a case in point.
    And yes, I would not sweat buying old PD guns. After all, the same arguments could be made about any Glock. How many PD's carry plain Glocks? Tons. It makes no difference, a gun is a gun no matter who owned it last.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I've always said that carrying a gun puts far more wear and tear on a gun than shooting it, this is a case in point.
    And yes, I would not sweat buying old PD guns. After all, the same arguments could be made about any Glock. How many PD's carry plain Glocks? Tons. It makes no difference, a gun is a gun no matter who owned it last.
    While this may all be true.
    I once bought an AR15 lower that was made by Rock River Arms, and it said "US Property" On it.
    Now the AR lower NEVER belonged to the US Gvnt., it was just a neat little thing that RRA had inscribed on the side of some of their lowers.

We took it to 4 different FFL Dealers and none of them would do the transfer. They never seen a US PROPERTY marked gun that wasn't Property of the Military.

So, if a knowledgeable gun shop owners were afraid that it was stolen US Property, imagine a "Tough Guy" cop that thinks he knows everything going to do?

I finally waited a month till I was a resident of his state for him to do a face to face Xfer.

Sixto is right, but only as far as in his experience. He would understand immediately that a gun with PD markings is perfectly appropriate as civilian carry.
    But, Sixto is part of the gun culture, not all LEOs are so blessed.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    They have probably been in a storage bin for years since the department got Glocks.

I don't like exPD guns, Sixto swears it's all ok but something about sits wrong on me. Getting in a traffic stop with a rookie who thinks you just killed a cop and stole his gun, being accused of impersonating an Officer. Not worth the stress.
    YMMV.
    If that was really an issue no one would never carry any gun that is carried by any agency anywhere.

Carrying the gun issued by the CHP would not sustain a charge of impersonating an officer... you have to actually do something intended to make people think you are a cop.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    If that was really an issue no one would never carry any gun that is carried by any agency anywhere.

Carrying the gun issued by the CHP would not sustain a charge of impersonating an officer... you have to actually do something intended to make people think you are a cop.
    The issue at hand is that these guns HAVE the Cali Highway Patrol insignia and name etched into the guns frame.
    I would bet the farm that a LEO who doesn't know his butt from his elbows about guns would raise a fuss if someone was carrying a gun with any PD's name on it.
    Last edited by Sig229; June 1st, 2007 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Typo-riffic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links