College security panel hears about more target practice

This is a discussion on College security panel hears about more target practice within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...25694&ran=2015 Virginia Tech students speak at summit on school safety By MATTHEW BOWERS, The Virginian-Pilot © May 31, 2007 | Last updated 11:16 PM May. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College security panel hears about more target practice

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

College security panel hears about more target practice

http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...25694&ran=2015

Virginia Tech students speak at summit on school safety

By MATTHEW BOWERS, The Virginian-Pilot
    © May 31, 2007 | Last updated 11:16 PM May. 30

EDMOND, Okla. - Donald Hamilton looked out over the audience at Wednesday's National Campus Security Summit and left no doubt about how high the stakes are.

He had proposed that colleges ask student applicants about their criminal records, lobbying for law changes if needed. Or, he said, "just do it."

"You know what? If you've got to get sued to keep somebody away from your campus, go ahead and get sued," said Hamilton, executive director of Oklahoma City's Memorial Institute for the Prevention of Terrorism, co-sponsor of the event.

The conference at the University of Central Oklahoma - another co-sponsor - drew more than 450 college, law enforcement and community officials from around the country, looking for answers in the aftermath of the April 16 Virginia Tech shootings.

Thirty-three students and professors died that day, including the shooter.

On Wednesday, the summit audience heard that campus shootings are statistically rarer than getting struck by lightning but still hard to predict or prevent. They heard that academic and medical privacy laws can hamper the flow of information that might prevent tragedies but that momentum is building to change the laws

And they heard a plea from two Virginia Tech students to heed the warnings posed by their ordeal.

"Please don't forget what happened at Virginia Tech," said Sumeet Bagai of Vienna. "How would you save your campus?"

Speakers said stereotypes of campus shooters - bullied, depressed, misfit loners - are too broad and that most students who share those traits don't kill people.

Instead, speakers said, college officials should look for warning behaviors, such as creating threatening drawings or increasing target practice, and avoid actions that could set off a troubled student, such as exp ulsion. Instead, suggested Shawn VanSlyke of the National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime, steer the student off campus to online classes.

But helping students in college often is too late, said former FBI profiler and author Clinton Van Zandt. He proposed establishing a "counselor corps" of college graduates who could work with troubled students beginning in elementary school in exchange for graduate school tuition discounts.

"We can save lives," Van Zandt said. "We can prevent suicides."

Last month, Virginia Tech student Seung-Hui Cho shot and killed 32 other students and professors and then himself. He also wounded dozens more.

The other Virginia Tech student speaker, Scott Cheatham of Midlothian, told the conference that the gun rampage was a tragedy, "but it could have happened anywhere." How schools respond is important, he said.

"It's a shame, but sometimes it takes a horrific act like this to get people in gear and analyze some of these perspectives," Cheatham said later in an interview. "I think we're helping serve as a reminder of why they do what they do."

If nothing else, security issues are back on top of most college presidents' desks, said conference attendee Phillip Schertzing, director of the Global Community Security Institute at Michigan State University.

"What the Virginia Tech case has done is generate interest and support in circles... that previously were apathetic about" security issues, he said. "In academia, that's not their business."

On Wednesday, it was.

Hamilton, of the Memorial Institute, urged conference attendees to return to their colleges and immediately take at least three steps to improve safety.

" Let's make this happen," he said. "We can stop a lot of stuff from happening without turning our campuses into fortresses or into graveyards."

• Reach Matthew Bowers at (757) 222-3893 or matthew.bowers@pilotonline.com.
    Last edited by paramedic70002; May 31st, 2007 at 08:51 AM. Reason: delete non-peertinent data
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

The educators need a bit of education!!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Gabe Suarez is offering free classes to any current VT student interested.

I'm familiar with info coming out of "The Memorial Institute"....... Bipedal vultures feeding on perpetuated grief and sustaining a culture of victimization to validate their feelings of control empowered by shared vision (though certainly no insight). And on Saturdays, they sit in a big circle, reach into their neighbor's lap, and feel good about themselves.

Senior Moderator
    I just got our bi-monthly company newsletter about mental health.

They admonished people not to try to release their anger in aggressive activities as this increases one's hostility.

They didn't give any examples but I'm sure they're thinking in the same lines as these people are. I guess to some target practice would be considered an aggressive activity. To others it's like a walk in a sunny, flowery park, with projectiles and ear muffs.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I was the director of a college counseling center for a few years ago. There are many issues driving how colleges respond. Frankly, they are caught between a rock and a hard place. No matter how they respond they will probably get sued. There is an increasing number of students attending college due to the strides that have been made in mental health care. Some students wouldn't even get into college if it wasn't for these advances.

I'm not opposed to carrying on campus, but I am o.k. with colleges eliminating their bans on handguns. CCW is fine as long as the student meets the state's requirements for the license. Since most states have an age requirement of 21 I think the maturity level of those students who choose to become licensed will pass muster. I would hesitate allowing under age students to possess guns in dorms. I think the possible risk of guns and alcohol is too great.

In general alcohol abuse is a much greater problem than a shooting rampage. I can't pull the numbers out right now, but the incidence of student suicides and alcohol related deaths is quite high.

I don't like this discrimination towards people with a mental illness. I know that there are some psychiatric disorders that pose more risk than others. I'm not opposed to people with depression owning firearms, even with court intervention histories. If there must be a restriction then it should go away after 3-5 years.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Let's see, in the game of golf you put a round object in a small hole, and from experience I can say it's a very relaxing game. In target practice, we try to put a round object in a small hole...this is supposed to be "aggressive" behavior according to academia? I think I agree with Lima, target practice is a very relaxing way to spend an afternoon!

In all seriousness, I somehow think the academia should stick to their areas of expertise and do the right thing--hire an experienced expert to advise them in matters of security.

P.S. I like your T-shirt Pitmaster...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Target practise, either real or via computers or consoles... wonder which they mean... plenty of University aged people I know play a lot of first person shooters... I guess that makes them all potential "in the closet" psychotic mass murderers?

I went to high school with Scott Cheatham (Go Trojans!). He makes a good point about it could have happened anywhere, but I don't think a college can be wholly responsible for thirty thousand plus peoples' safety. People have to take care of themselves and the board of trustees at just about every college in Virginia has seen to it their communities can not protect themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kompact9 View Post
    Let's see, in the game of golf you put a round object in a small hole, and from experience I can say it's a very relaxing game. In target practice, we try to put a round object in a small hole...this is supposed to be "aggressive" behavior according to academia? I think I agree with Lima, target practice is a very relaxing way to spend an afternoon!

In all seriousness, I somehow think the academia should stick to their areas of expertise and do the right thing--hire an experienced expert to advise them in matters of security.

P.S. I like your T-shirt Pitmaster...
    I can tell you I get a lot more aggressive playing golf than I do shooting. Depending who's with me on the course, there's still going to be a lot more cursing, competition (including golf cart racing and crashing), and yelling than there is at the range. Shooting is more meditation for me than golf.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I guess there plan is to dig a even deeper hole to stick their head in, to ensure that absolutly no light or "bad thought" gets through.

This is one thing that just torks me....

College students ARE ADULTS.

Adults over the age of 21 who have a CHP (VA), who PAY to go to college (mom&dad, GI Bill, loans) are adults both on and off campus. Why should they be limited to what they may/may not possess?

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post

Adults over the age of 21 who have a CHP (VA), who PAY to go to college (mom&dad, GI Bill, loans) are adults both on and off campus. Why should they be limited to what they may/may not possess?
    Don't you know? Everyone's got to feel safe on campus. Why, if people had guns with them, it would be like the Wild West and there would be showdowns on every corner every day at high noon!
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post

Look at the response of the majority of "men" in the VT incident- they were bailing out of windows while a septugenarian professor, and an Eagle Scout, shot and with a severed femoral artery barricaded doors so they could escape and/or hide. It was certainly the 1-in-100 that responded to "the call". Ergo, I have no problem viewing them as children. Some adults were there. Not many.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post

I'm familiar with info coming out of "The Memorial Institute"....... Bipedal vultures feeding on perpetuated grief and sustaining a culture of victimization to validate their feelings of control empowered by shared vision (though certainly no insight). And on Saturdays, they sit in a big circle, reach into their neighbor's lap, and feel good about themselves.

Gee Rob, how do you really feel about these people?

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    As an educator...I have never met so many smart dumb a**es. Not all are...just enough to be shocked.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    They had their chance at it when 32 innocents were slaughtered.

And the lesson was squandered on these morons.

A group is empaneled to discuss potential solutions to campus mayhem and nobody says a word about arming the would-be victims?!

I'll tell you, the wrong people were shot that day, that's for sure. What use has our society for such mindless idiots who stand obstinately between us and increased safety?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links