Colt .32 Automatic-How to field strip?

This is a discussion on Colt .32 Automatic-How to field strip? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My FIL recently gave me his fathers old Colt .32 Automatic, serial# 371XXX. Probably made 1905-1910?, it's in pretty good shape, probably not fired often, ...

Thread: Colt .32 Automatic-How to field strip?

VIP Member

Colt .32 Automatic-How to field strip?

My FIL recently gave me his fathers old Colt .32 Automatic, serial# 371XXX. Probably made 1905-1910?, it's in pretty good shape, probably not fired often, though some bluing gone. I recently shot it and it performed flawlessly.

I havent tried to field-strip it yet. Rather than wrestle with it, I'd rather follow a field strip procedure for it. Do any of you know a link that would help me out with the correct method to field strip and reassemble properly?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Excellent. The link you gave me was exactly what I was looking for, in fact the drawings/text seems to originate from the original manual.

Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Excellent. The link you gave me was exactly what I was looking for, in fact the drawings/text seems to originate from the original manual.

Yep, it's from an original manual. Steve seems to collect old manuals and uses Adobe Acrobat to create a scanned digital copy. His site has been a big help to me.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Looks like Dr. beat me to it.

Those are some nice little pistols, although I ran into the same trouble of trying to figure out how to field strip my Grandmother's after we took it out to the range.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    I just read the pdf file to field strip it, there seems to be two options and they are (1) leaving the slide and removing the barrel only (2) removing both the barrel and slide at the same time. I have no idea when it was properly cleaned and lubed last so naturally I wanted to remove both slide and barrel as in # (2), but I can't. I've tried following the directions exactly as they are written. Any ideas?

They are kind of finnecky and even with directions it takes practice, you have to get the arrow and line lined up just right, then both the slide and barrel should come out, play around a little bit with how the symobls line up, you will find the right placement.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    They are kind of finnecky and even with directions it takes practice, you have to get the arrow and line lined up just right, then both the slide and barrel should come out, play around a little bit with how the symobls line up, you will find the right placement.
    Thanks, I was afraid it was a "finicky" issue. As time permits I'll be trying it out this weekend. If I can't figure it out, I'll buy a Rubik's cube and practice on that first :)

Links