Can more than one person own the same gun?

This is a discussion on Can more than one person own the same gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering if more than one person can own the same gun, like husband and wife joint ownership with rights of survivorship.:question:...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can more than one person own the same gun?

I was wondering if more than one person can own the same gun, like husband and wife joint ownership with rights of survivorship.:question:
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

Administrator
    Yes, when married everything is common property.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My wife swears my guns are hers...if I ever decie to sell one, that is. She says I always lose money. Actually, I never really lose money on the weapon itself, but I do wind up buying something else and it needs different ammo and magazines and holsters and yaddida, yaddida, yaddida...

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I was thinking more like bank accounts or title of a vehicle where both names occur jointly, as opposed to mere common property law. In the case of a gun, wouldn't the purchase of a gun require that both owners have background checks as well as signing the purchase papers?
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams

JD
    Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by xercise2nd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I was thinking more like bank accounts or title of a vehicle where both names occur jointly, as opposed to mere common property law. In the case of a gun, wouldn't the purchase of a gun require that both owners have background checks as well as signing the purchase papers?
    For buying, not really. As for registration, there is none in PA.

So basicly what guns are mine are also hers and her guns are hers.

Now if you buy a gun, and your wife can't pass a background check, and you give it to her, that's a straw purchase.

If your both clean, no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    For buying, not really. As for registration, there is none in PA.

So basicly what guns are mine are also hers and her guns are hers.

Now if you buy a gun, and your wife can't pass a background check, and you give it to her, that's a straw purchase.

If your both clean, no worries.
    Okay. That's all good and understandable. Assuming both are clean -- and that may be an unreasonable assumption if the partner was never subject to a background check -- then:

1. Suppose now I bite the big one and it's estate time. Wife takes possession of the arsenal as her own even though the prior purchases had been in my name. She owns the guns. How does she prove that? Does she need my death certificate and sales receipts when she goes to trade or sell?

2. Prior to my being offed, should the guns be itemized in a will, or mentioned in general terms, or not mentioned at all?

VIP Member
    If she is a prohibited person she should not take possession of the firearms or ammunition. That could lead to more charges for her.

For example G. Gordon Liddy (convicted felon) states that his wife owns all the guns in the house. She just happens to store some of them on his side of the bed. Should his wife die before Mr. Liddy I would assume her will transfers those firearms to their sons who are not prohibited persons. Mr. Liddy himself should not officially take possession being a prohibited person unless he was going to face the charges. Being a former lawyer I assume he has that all under control.

I mention my firearms in my will because some of my close friends will receive some of them. Otherwise I assume that they are treated the same as the blender or the fridge. She gets everything unless someone else can prove they own it.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by xercise2nd View Post
    Okay. That's all good and understandable. Assuming both are clean -- and that may be an unreasonable assumption if the partner was never subject to a background check -- then:

1. Suppose now I bite the big one and it's estate time. Wife takes possession of the arsenal as her own even though the prior purchases had been in my name. She owns the guns. How does she prove that? Does she need my death certificate and sales receipts when she goes to trade or sell?

2. Prior to my being offed, should the guns be itemized in a will, or mentioned in general terms, or not mentioned at all?

Keep reciepts and the copies of the state paperwork, put them in your will as a precaution. And yearly update a list of what you have and thier estimated value.

That way if somehitng does happen, she can prove ownership via the reciepts and will if nessecary, and have a good idea of what they are worth if she decides to sell them.

Pending on the size of your armory, it may also be good to have a seperate insurance poilcy just for the guns. Me and the wife did that and I couldn't believe what it would cost me to replace all of them.

In New York handguns are registered to a single owner. Let's say that my wife and I both have handgun licenses and are able to carry our respective handguns to the range concealed during the drive to the trip. Suppose we both like Ruger SP101's so much that we both have the same model in .357 with a 2.25" barrel. Say we each grap a SP101 and strap it on and head out the door to the range. I'm naturally anxious to get to the range and do something to get pulled over by a cop. I announce that we are both carrying concealed and when he checks my license and compare to the handgun I am carrying find that its serial number is not on my license - thus not my gun and must be my wife's and she must be carrying mine. We would both be breaking the law and potentially subject to arrest - unless the cop was nice enough to understand and let us swap the guns so we would each have the handgun we owned.

I got to get out of this state!!!

On a positive note, my wife and I bought 1.3 acres in a development in Laurens County, SC where my front door would be about 1000 feet from a nice size lake. Maybe getting out of New York is not the impossibly distant future it sometimes seems to be.

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    If she is a prohibited person she should not take possession of the firearms or ammunition. That could lead to more charges for her.

For example G. Gordon Liddy (convicted felon) states that his wife owns all the guns in the house. She just happens to store some of them on his side of the bed. Should his wife die before Mr. Liddy I would assume her will transfers those firearms to their sons who are not prohibited persons. Mr. Liddy himself should not officially take possession being a prohibited person unless he was going to face the charges. Being a former lawyer I assume he has that all under control.

I mention my firearms in my will because some of my close friends will receive some of them. Otherwise I assume that they are treated the same as the blender or the fridge. She gets everything unless someone else can prove they own it.

You sound like a good friend, and your friends are very lucky.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

VIP Member
    If she or you can't have a gun, then if you live together the other can't either. Such as domestic violence, one goes or the guns go.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    In MA all transactions are registered. The guns belong to a single individual and is registered as such. There is a procedure for inheritance, but it requires re-registration of each and every gun.

Since you need a permit to merely possess any gun/ammo/mag/components in MA, if one is a prohibited person, usually the local chief will pull the license of the spouse as "unsuitable" and confiscate all the guns/ammo/etc. (actually required by law if the license is suspended/revoked) . . . and since the licenses are subject to the chief's "discretion" he can yank it for anything or nothing, all without any due process.
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Remind me not to get married! My guns are mine!

*slinks off to hide from fiance'*
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Here in Vegas my wife and I have the guns co-registered. Both firearms are also listed on each of our CCW permits. It is a married thing though. If you are not married you can't co-register.

But since you are not here in Nevada that mean nothing to you. Sorry.

I got nothing to add.

Can two people own the same gun?

Can two guns shoot the same bullet...IN PARALLEL DIMENSIONS...HHHHMMMMM....

My apologies, I thought this was some sort of meta-physical/philosophical thread...my bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links