Can more than one person own the same gun?

Can more than one person own the same gun?

This is a discussion on Can more than one person own the same gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering if more than one person can own the same gun, like husband and wife joint ownership with rights of survivorship.:question:...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Can more than one person own the same gun?

  1. #1
    Member Array xercise2nd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania, northeast
    Posts
    246

    Can more than one person own the same gun?

    I was wondering if more than one person can own the same gun, like husband and wife joint ownership with rights of survivorship.:question:
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military


  2. #2
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,936
    Yes, when married everything is common property.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  3. #3
    Ex Member Array Glock 'em down's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    South Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    687
    My wife swears my guns are hers...if I ever decie to sell one, that is. She says I always lose money. Actually, I never really lose money on the weapon itself, but I do wind up buying something else and it needs different ammo and magazines and holsters and yaddida, yaddida, yaddida...

  4. #4
    Member Array xercise2nd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania, northeast
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, when married everything is common property.
    I was thinking more like bank accounts or title of a vehicle where both names occur jointly, as opposed to mere common property law. In the case of a gun, wouldn't the purchase of a gun require that both owners have background checks as well as signing the purchase papers?
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

  5. #5
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,256

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by xercise2nd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, when married everything is common property.
    I was thinking more like bank accounts or title of a vehicle where both names occur jointly, as opposed to mere common property law. In the case of a gun, wouldn't the purchase of a gun require that both owners have background checks as well as signing the purchase papers?
    For buying, not really. As for registration, there is none in PA.

    So basicly what guns are mine are also hers and her guns are hers.

    Now if you buy a gun, and your wife can't pass a background check, and you give it to her, that's a straw purchase.

    If your both clean, no worries.

  6. #6
    Member Array xercise2nd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania, northeast
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    For buying, not really. As for registration, there is none in PA.

    So basicly what guns are mine are also hers and her guns are hers.

    Now if you buy a gun, and your wife can't pass a background check, and you give it to her, that's a straw purchase.

    If your both clean, no worries.
    Okay. That's all good and understandable. Assuming both are clean -- and that may be an unreasonable assumption if the partner was never subject to a background check -- then:

    1. Suppose now I bite the big one and it's estate time. Wife takes possession of the arsenal as her own even though the prior purchases had been in my name. She owns the guns. How does she prove that? Does she need my death certificate and sales receipts when she goes to trade or sell?

    2. Prior to my being offed, should the guns be itemized in a will, or mentioned in general terms, or not mentioned at all?
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

  7. #7
    VIP Member
    Array Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Posts
    5,050
    If she is a prohibited person she should not take possession of the firearms or ammunition. That could lead to more charges for her.

    For example G. Gordon Liddy (convicted felon) states that his wife owns all the guns in the house. She just happens to store some of them on his side of the bed. Should his wife die before Mr. Liddy I would assume her will transfers those firearms to their sons who are not prohibited persons. Mr. Liddy himself should not officially take possession being a prohibited person unless he was going to face the charges. Being a former lawyer I assume he has that all under control.

    I mention my firearms in my will because some of my close friends will receive some of them. Otherwise I assume that they are treated the same as the blender or the fridge. She gets everything unless someone else can prove they own it.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

  8. #8
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,256
    Quote Originally Posted by xercise2nd View Post
    Okay. That's all good and understandable. Assuming both are clean -- and that may be an unreasonable assumption if the partner was never subject to a background check -- then:

    1. Suppose now I bite the big one and it's estate time. Wife takes possession of the arsenal as her own even though the prior purchases had been in my name. She owns the guns. How does she prove that? Does she need my death certificate and sales receipts when she goes to trade or sell?

    2. Prior to my being offed, should the guns be itemized in a will, or mentioned in general terms, or not mentioned at all?


    Keep reciepts and the copies of the state paperwork, put them in your will as a precaution. And yearly update a list of what you have and thier estimated value.

    That way if somehitng does happen, she can prove ownership via the reciepts and will if nessecary, and have a good idea of what they are worth if she decides to sell them.

    Pending on the size of your armory, it may also be good to have a seperate insurance poilcy just for the guns. Me and the wife did that and I couldn't believe what it would cost me to replace all of them.

  9. #9
    Member Array LSCurrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    209
    In New York handguns are registered to a single owner. Let's say that my wife and I both have handgun licenses and are able to carry our respective handguns to the range concealed during the drive to the trip. Suppose we both like Ruger SP101's so much that we both have the same model in .357 with a 2.25" barrel. Say we each grap a SP101 and strap it on and head out the door to the range. I'm naturally anxious to get to the range and do something to get pulled over by a cop. I announce that we are both carrying concealed and when he checks my license and compare to the handgun I am carrying find that its serial number is not on my license - thus not my gun and must be my wife's and she must be carrying mine. We would both be breaking the law and potentially subject to arrest - unless the cop was nice enough to understand and let us swap the guns so we would each have the handgun we owned.

    I got to get out of this state!!!

    On a positive note, my wife and I bought 1.3 acres in a development in Laurens County, SC where my front door would be about 1000 feet from a nice size lake. Maybe getting out of New York is not the impossibly distant future it sometimes seems to be.

    Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

    NRA Life Member

  10. #10
    Senior Member Array Sig229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    If she is a prohibited person she should not take possession of the firearms or ammunition. That could lead to more charges for her.

    For example G. Gordon Liddy (convicted felon) states that his wife owns all the guns in the house. She just happens to store some of them on his side of the bed. Should his wife die before Mr. Liddy I would assume her will transfers those firearms to their sons who are not prohibited persons. Mr. Liddy himself should not officially take possession being a prohibited person unless he was going to face the charges. Being a former lawyer I assume he has that all under control.

    I mention my firearms in my will because some of my close friends will receive some of them. Otherwise I assume that they are treated the same as the blender or the fridge. She gets everything unless someone else can prove they own it.

    You sound like a good friend, and your friends are very lucky.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

  11. #11
    VIP Member
    Array nn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    7,120
    If she or you can't have a gun, then if you live together the other can't either. Such as domestic violence, one goes or the guns go.

  12. #12
    Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Commiechusetts
    Posts
    1,631
    In MA all transactions are registered. The guns belong to a single individual and is registered as such. There is a procedure for inheritance, but it requires re-registration of each and every gun.

    Since you need a permit to merely possess any gun/ammo/mag/components in MA, if one is a prohibited person, usually the local chief will pull the license of the spouse as "unsuitable" and confiscate all the guns/ammo/etc. (actually required by law if the license is suspended/revoked) . . . and since the licenses are subject to the chief's "discretion" he can yank it for anything or nothing, all without any due process.
    NRA Instructor

  13. #13
    Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    643
    Remind me not to get married! My guns are mine!

    *slinks off to hide from fiance'*
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

    - Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

  14. #14
    Member Array p2555016zr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    21
    Here in Vegas my wife and I have the guns co-registered. Both firearms are also listed on each of our CCW permits. It is a married thing though. If you are not married you can't co-register.

    But since you are not here in Nevada that mean nothing to you. Sorry.

    I got nothing to add.

  15. #15
    Ex Member Array HOLYROLLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    269
    Can two people own the same gun?

    Can two guns shoot the same bullet...IN PARALLEL DIMENSIONS...HHHHMMMMM....

    My apologies, I thought this was some sort of meta-physical/philosophical thread...my bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Person to person purchase with CCW.
    By mmmgaspacho in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 27th, 2009, 10:26 PM
  2. Purchasing a Used Gun Person to Person (PA)
    By me in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: August 5th, 2007, 04:32 PM
  3. Just one person
    By Miggy in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: May 16th, 2007, 12:19 AM
  4. Another FL person
    By JustinL in forum New Members Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: September 11th, 2006, 09:47 PM
  5. Now this is a person who gets it.
    By 4my sons in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: August 27th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Search tags for this page

can a gun be registered in two names
,
can a gun be registered to 2 people
,

can a gun be registered to more than one person

,

can a gun be registered to two people

,
can a handgun be registered to two people
,
can one gun be registered to two people
,
can two people be registered to one gun
,
can two people own a gun
,
can two people own the same gun
,
can two people register a gun
,
can two people register one gun
,
can you register a gun in two names
Click on a term to search for related topics.