First Duracoat project

First Duracoat project

This is a discussion on First Duracoat project within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I took the plunge and tried my hand at a little Duracoat. It came out better than I expected. If anyone hasn't tried this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Duracoat project

First Duracoat project

So I took the plunge and tried my hand at a little Duracoat.

It came out better than I expected.

If anyone hasn't tried this yet and is planning on it I'd get a air compressor. I bought the "kit" (airbrush and canned air included) and it sucked. I was about ready to pitch the whole thing but I went to Wally world and got a cheap compressor and all was well.

You can see the difference best on the Ruger since I only did the lower frame.

M1911
    Before:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cpmiv/4...7600207321781/

After:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cpmiv/5...7600207321781/

Ruger MKIII
    Before:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cpmiv/4...7600207321781/

After:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cpmiv/5...7600207321781/
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

JD
    Administrator
    Care to give us a walthrough of what all was entailed in the process?

Also is that the titamium gray color?

Looks great!

Lead Moderator
    Does look great, tell us more.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Looks great. Think I might have to do a Duracoat on a couple of personal projects that I have laying around.

BTW, love the Ruger. That thing is sharp as a tack.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

It was pretty easy, and I am far from the most handy guy on the planet. With that in mind pardon if I stray from any technical shop lingo.
    Started with a detail strip and clean. Then I buffed out some of the dings had accumulated on the weapons.

Then came the contents of the "Kit". They include a bottle of "Truestrip" its a degreeser cleaner to get any residue off the surface prior to the coating.

Now here is where these weapons stayed in a state of limbo for a few weeks (like I said I'm no handy man and I was a bit hesitant to proceed).

So when I finally got the nerve to "get r done" I mixed the paint. Its in the instructions that come with the kit but it's something like 4 Tbps to 1 tsp (a word of caution when you pick up the air compressor at Wally world pick up some cheap measuring spoons, the wife was none too pleased with me after this project).

So I started and hooked up the airbrush and it worked fine for about 5 min. Then I had to shake the can, that caused the paint to sputter out screwing up the finish. So I had to let that dry and then buff it back down. I thought maybe I just got a bad can of air so I went and got a new one pretty much the same result. So perhaps it's just me but canned air just plain blows.

So I wasted about 1/2 the paint with that attempt. I was ready to throw in the towel but I really didn't want to take the weapons out to be refinished. So off to Wally world I went. When I picked up the 2nd can of air I saw some compressors at the "craft" shop and they were in the neighborhood of $200. This was not in my budget but luckily I found a compressor for $50 that did the trick just fine.

I had set up a rig to hold the parts and put a large piece of cardboard behind so I didn't end up spraying the entire garage.

Oh yea and the color is Matte Black, at least that's what I ordered and thats what the bottle reads. I'm not sure if by mixing in the hardener the color gets changed but it could just be the flash they look darker than the pix, professional photographer I am not
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

JD
    Administrator
    Does it air dry? or does it need to "cure" in the oven?

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Where did you get the kit from & what does it cost?

The guns look good, BTW.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Got the Kit here:

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?Category=218

None of the instructions or FAQ's say to put it in the oven. But prior to getting it I had found a couple of articles about it and they did.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu39.htm
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2...coat/index.asp

VIP Member
    They look great!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

From all outward appearances it looks like you did a great job. Looks good!!

I too have thought about doing that, but haven't goten the nerve as of yet. I did take a soldiering iron and golf ball my Glock grip. Maybe I will go ahead and give it a shot.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Administrator
    You did a real nice job.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Nice job! Did you put your air can in a container of hot water? I've done that, and as long as you don't let the can get too cold (add more hot water), your pressure stays up and you won't get spatters.

Thanks for all the complements guys. I was more worried about them looking bad and I was relieved that they came out as nice as they did.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FIREARMZ View Post
    From all outward appearances it looks like you did a great job. Looks good!!

I too have thought about doing that, but haven't goten the nerve as of yet. I did take a soldiering iron and golf ball my Glock grip. Maybe I will go ahead and give it a shot.
    I'd like to see that golf ball grip too.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I've got a few AR magazines that I've been thinking of doing this to for a while. When you ordered the DuraCoat how long did it take to arrive? Also, has the color darkened with time?
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links