Ammunition ?

Ammunition ?

This is a discussion on Ammunition ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live in NJ (no cracks please), HP are illegal. I was wondering if anyone know anything about these rounds and what your thought are. ...

Thread: Ammunition ?

Ammunition ?

I live in NJ (no cracks please), HP are illegal. I was wondering if anyone know anything about these rounds and what your thought are.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=119937

From what I've been told from a friend they have the same effect as HP, but are legal.

Thanks,

Rich

VIP Member
    I have no experience with them, but the general consensus on this board is that they are not a viable self-defense round. You may want to look into the Federal EFMJ (expanding full metal jacket) round.

http://www.federalpremium.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=7

I'm not certain about their legality, but they are NOT a traditional hollow point, and they have a much better reputation among shooters than the Extreme Shock rounds do. And, of course... What exit? (I was 99 off the GSP when I lived there!)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Thanks I'll have to look into them. Interesting that the two places I've been buying from (Cabelas & Sportsmanguide) don't seem to carry them.

And you just couldn't resist the exit thing, OK I'm between 8 & 7A on the turnpike.

I'm a fan of the EFMJ rounds and carry them in one of my 1911. They are not the easiest to find because it seems demand for them is high. I get the best prices so far from:

http://www.streichers.com/

If they are out of stock it's worth calling and talking to them. They'll know when more is due in.

They are legal in NJ.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    Thanks I'll have to look into them. Interesting that the two places I've been buying from (Cabelas & Sportsmanguide) don't seem to carry them.

Any you just couldn't resist the exit thing, OK I'm betweek 8 & 7A on the turnpike.
    Yeah, I'm 7A off the Turnpike, but you have to go all the way down the shore from there...

Good luck with the ammo hunt.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

If I can't use a modern JHP, then give me EFMJs.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Go to www.boxoftruth.com these rnds are over rated

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Which rounds are you meaning? Here

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot10.htm

he says they work as advertised. I don't currently have the sites but when I was investigating EFMJ a year or more ago there were some pretty good tests done with it.

One other site showing acceptable performance is here.

http://stevespages.com/page8f45acp.html
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Administrator
    I refuse to buy anything marketed to the shooting public that way, they assume that we are stupid enough to buy into the "extreme" this and that the "anti terrorist" bologne.
    I dont care how good it is or isnt, its marketing ruins it for me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    I'm a fan of the EFMJ rounds and carry them in one of my 1911. They are not the easiest to find because it seems demand for them is high. I get the best prices so far from:

http://www.streichers.com/

If they are out of stock it's worth calling and talking to them. They'll know when more is due in.

They are legal in NJ.
    What does the +P mean after EMJ?

Thanks,
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    What does the +P mean after EMJ?
    It means they're loaded to a higher pressure, which increases bullet velocity. A lot of the pistol cartridges in use today are pretty old (.38 Special, 9mm, and .45 ACP were designed over 100 years ago). When they were designed, metallurgy wasn't as advanced and firearms couldn't handle very high pressures. As the state of the art in metallurgy and gunmaking has advanced; guns are built stronger and can take higher pressures. To take advantage of this, manufacturers have created higher pressure rounds (+P and +P+). These can be safely fired through some newer firearms, but not older ones (check your owner's manual!) A +P round will be faster, but also have increased recoil and perhaps greater noise and muzzle flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    It means they're loaded to a higher pressure, which increases bullet velocity. A lot of the pistol cartridges in use today are pretty old (.38 Special, 9mm, and .45 ACP were designed over 100 years ago). When they were designed, metallurgy wasn't as advanced and firearms couldn't handle very high pressures. As the state of the art in metallurgy and gunmaking has advanced; guns are built stronger and can take higher pressures. To take advantage of this, manufacturers have created higher pressure rounds (+P and +P+). These can be safely fired through some newer firearms, but not older ones (check your owner's manual!) A +P round will be faster, but also have increased recoil and perhaps greater noise and muzzle flash.
    Thanks, I have a glock 19 and will check the manual.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Overrated compared to what? If they expand even a little they're better than FMJ, which is the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dont care how good it is or isnt, its marketing ruins it for me.
    So you would buy less effective rounds because you don't like the marketing of the more effective ammunition? I could understand if they were poor quality or didn't work as advertised, but handicapping yourself because you don't like their ad campaign makes no sense to me.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Links