Ever chopped down a barrel?

This is a discussion on Ever chopped down a barrel? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One of my frustrations in gun hunting has been finding the right length barrel, and also I've noticed fairly often that there'll be a gun ...

Thread: Ever chopped down a barrel?

One of my frustrations in gun hunting has been finding the right length barrel, and also I've noticed fairly often that there'll be a gun I really like and there's a real good deal on it, but the barrel is just too long. I've often wondered what is really involved with chopping a barrel down.

Now obviously I'm not talking about a job in my kitchen on my shotgun with a couple of new hacksaw blades and a metal file. I'm talking about a real job done by a gunsmith/machinist in a shop.

I don't currently have any plans whatsoever to modify any of my guns this way so rest assured. However, if one wanted to go this way, is there any service you can reccommend, and what's a fair price excluding any potential shipping?

If the barrel is chromed, say no.

If it's not, it's not that big of a deal. You're probably going to pay $100ish for a local job + recrown.

The last one I cut I used a hacksaw and a kitchen table, along with a 18.5" dowel rod. ;)
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Assistant Administrator
    Lot of custom folks around Euc .... no names immediately to mind but - could be ''custom gunsmithing'' in Google would yield some hits. Lot of folks I know have gone this route - but never felt like doing it myself.

If I did I think I'd do my own work anyways - have metal working tools and lathe - so could manage. Main hassle IMO with handgun, revo in particular is staking, brazing,foresight back on ... often tho a milled dovetail will (excuse pun) cut it!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks guys that's what I was curious to know about. I like the idea of a 3" barrel on a revolver and there just aren't many out there.

What I was thinking is that some day I could scoop up one of those 6 or 8 inch barrel jobs I see in CDNN's catalog pretty cheap sometimes and have it cut down to size. The trouble is it'd either have to be something you can't get any more, like a pre lock Smith, or an awful good deal to make it worth the expense and hassle to me.

As for my shotgun, I don't want to ruin my 28" barrel when I can get a factory barrel for $80 or so. But even at that I looked at the cost of adding a side saddle and buying another barrel for it, and for another $60 I could get a Winchester 1300 defender or a Mossberg Persuader. I think I'd rather do that and have another gun that way.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Euc,

Head to the near west side of Milwaukee. Find a pizzeria around 51st and Center. Ask for Carmine, and order 'the short boy special.' You didn't hear it from me. Capische'?

The 'garlic bread sticks' are to die for. Literally. Ciao.

Cutting a shotgun barrel is no big deal, in my experience. I have an old H&R Topper single-barreled shotgun. It came with a 28" modified-choke barrel, and was a decent small game getter. I wanted a "deer drive" special. For you non-Dixie folks, the traditional Southern deer hunt involves a group of hunters, a pack of dogs and a nut. The nut (usually, that was me) follows the dogs through the swamp, hopefully driving any deer toward the line of hunters waiting on the other side of the swamp. Now, if the thought of being in the general area where somebody is just awaitin' to fire a round capable of dropping a whitetail buck causes you aoncern . . .
    THINK HOW I FELT!!

Seriously, I never actually knew anyone involved in a deer drive to be injured or killed by gunfire, although snakebites (suffered by dogs and hunters) weren't that uncommon. The absolute, inviolable rule of the deer drive is: BUCKSHOT ONLY! No rifles, no rifled slugs, and no handguns. This reduces the risk at extended ranges (add in the thick growth, where you can't even see a critter past 20-25 yards away), and the chance of accidental gunshot is really quite slim. Even so, the unwritten rule for drivers was, at the first gunshot, hit the deck (or the mud; it was a swamp, after all).

Now, bucks being the wily creatures they are, it ain't uncommon for one to sit motionless, let the dogs chase the more excitable does past him, then creep out the other way; that is, right back toward the driver (aka, "nut").

I needed a close-range buckshot-tosser that was short & light (trying to maneuver through a briar-filled swamp is difficult, without a long-barreled shotgun in hand), safe (a lowered exposed hammer with a rebound feature is much more comforting to me than is a mechanical safety with a compressed mainspring!) and cheap (you oughtta see what those briars and that muck will do . . .).

I cut the barrel to 18.5", installed a no-longer-available set of add-on sights (simple bolt-on affairs), and that ol' Topper (purchased for less than $30, NIB from a discount store) has served me faithfully for . . . oh, let's just say quite a few years. Right to the point where I'm no longer stupid . . . that is, young enough ... to serve as the driver!

After marking with a tubing cutter, then following that scribed mark with a hacksaw, place some steel wool on a board, press the muzzle against it, and rotate the muzzle; it'll polish the end of the barrel nicely, removing the roughness left by the hacksaw.

Thanks scbair I hadn't though of a tubing cutter.

You know I'm a huge fan of the Sam Raimi/ Bruce Campbell "Evil Dead" series and I've always had a silly notion to recreate the shotgun used in the movie.

Apologies for the double post but this is a cool page in case you've ever wondered just exactly how it's done. It's slightly painful to see those nice revolvers all torn apart but they always say the family should never watch the surgery.

http://www.sdmfabricating.com/4_conversion.html

Administrator

Meanwhile Euclidean

Those were fantastic photos of the barrel cutting/shortening process on that link that you pasted.
    Always nice to see detailed photos of somebody that does fantastic machine work & really takes great pride in doing it.
    That SURE WOULD BE where I would think about getting a barrel chopped.
    "Chop" is hardly the correct work for the SUPER work that they do there.

Sponsored Links