Man shoots threatening moose (With a .22 rifle)

This is a discussion on Man shoots threatening moose (With a .22 rifle) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As reported by KTVA 11 (AK): Man shoots threatening moose Associated Press Article Last Updated: 05/31/2007 03:57:42 PM AKDT Alaska wildlife state troopers say a ...

Thread: Man shoots threatening moose (With a .22 rifle)

Man shoots threatening moose (With a .22 rifle)

As reported by KTVA 11 (AK):

Man shoots threatening moose

Associated Press
    Article Last Updated: 05/31/2007 03:57:42 PM AKDT

Alaska wildlife state troopers say a North Pole musher will NOT be cited for shooting a moose that threatened to charge him. The cow was defending a calf from a sled dog that had pulled loose from a chain in the yard of musher Jonah Lilley. Wildlife Trooper Dennis Roe says Lilley shot the moose in the head Monday with a .22-caliber rifle from about 20 feet away.

Roe says the cow and calf -- which was probably was less than a week old -- walked into Lilley's dog lot and "riled the dogs up." He says one of Lilley's bigger huskies pulled its anchor out and ran to the moose. Lilley went into his house for the gun, came back out and fired it into the air to scare the moose. Roe says the cow turned away from the dog toward Lilley, and when it moved toward him, he shot it.

Roe says the loose dog grabbed the calf by its hind end and seriously injured it. Roe says that when he arrived, the calf was alive but could not stand up, so he shot it. He says the shooting of the cow appeared to be justified. The cow moose was salvaged by a charity. The Alaska Department of Fish and Game took the calf carcass for research. Wildlife officials say cow moose aggressively protect their young and neither calves nor cows should be approached, especially at this time of year.

The story can be found at; http://www.ktva.com/alaska/ci_6030993

Note: Once again proof that the .22 can and does work effectively. Of course shot placement is key as with any caliber round.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

+1 for shot placement!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

While everything worked out, I do not think that a .22 would be my "go to" gun while living in Alaska. Call me crazy...

The offender and witness were probably very tasty!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

that moose would have died more if he had used a .45

*pot stiring*

just kidding

I think my knees would have knocking with a mad moose standing just 20 feet from me. I would feel a lot better with a 30-06 in my hands.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I think my knees would have knocking with a mad moose standing just 20 feet from me. I would feel a lot better with a 30-06 in my hands.
    Or a S&W .500
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Bulls-eye or should I say Moose-eye!
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I lived in Alaska, and while driving in the Mat-Su valley, on a snow covered road...drove by a Moose using the same road...you wouldn't want to hit one of those 'fellas'...your car could get some serious 'brain damage'...I can't even imagine shooting won with a .22!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I had a friend from Canada send me pics of her minivan after she hit a moose. Totally destroyed the passenger side of the van. She had just dropped her kid off at school or there would have been a child in the passenger seat.

Pretty impressive pics. They were on my old computer or I would have posted them. Sorry.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I had a friend from Canada send me pics of her minivan after she hit a moose. Totally destroyed the passenger side of the van. She had just dropped her kid off at school or there would have been a child in the passenger seat.

Pretty impressive pics. They were on my old computer or I would have posted them. Sorry.
    I have seen those, wiped out the front of the van and the roof. Almost hit a moose last year, if I did likely i would not be around to post about it!

Bringing a .22cal to a Moose fight either means big balls or no other gun!

Links