Gunhandling habits without firearms?

This is a discussion on Gunhandling habits without firearms? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good gunhandling habits seem to pop up in the oddest places. Since I've started shooting, I've noticed that I apply firearms muzzle consciousness to staple ...

Good gunhandling habits seem to pop up in the oddest places. Since I've started shooting, I've noticed that I apply firearms muzzle consciousness to staple guns and good trigger discipline with electric drills. Has anyone else noticed good gunhandling habits affecting how they use things that aren't firearms?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    With staple guns? No.

Safety with power tools is perfunctory. I avoid things like changing a drill bit while it's plugged in, but I'm not going to avoid "muzzle sweeping" people with things that can't possibly shoot them.

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. During a training session at my martial arts class (where I was playing the bad guy) I wouldn't put my finger in the trigger guard of a red gun. Since then (because I've been thinking about it) I've noticed that I wont put my finger on the trigger of a windex bottle, and like you said, power tool triggers.

Of course the little accident I had in December with a router might explain my caution with power tools. Little hint- spinning router bit plus thumb equals OUCH!! (And lots of blood ALL over the garage!)
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Ick!

Administrator

Never Point A Windex Bottle At Anything You Don't Intend To Clean.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I always seam to be aiming at my pick-up when I gas up and only pull the trigger when I'm aimed at the "ten-ring"
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I work with tools all day long building furniture and yeah, mea culpa. When I pick up a power tool my index finger is usually straight down the frame. There's also a good reason not to "Muzzle sweep" people with nail guns. I've seen a few occasions where safeties have frozen and AD's have sent projectiles flying. Not a good idea if it's a framing nailer!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    LOL I remember when I was younger and worked as a framer for a summer. Being typical stupid kids, the foreman had to keep yelling at us to stop shooting at each other with the staplers and nail guns. I have grown a little more mature since then, and I will treat nail guns like firearms but its a different set of rules with power tools.

Still all comes down to common sense is your best ally.

Only my opinion.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Never Point A Windex Bottle At Anything You Don't Intend To Clean.
    hmmm how can you know what is beyond a dirty window if you can't see through it?

Now I don't feel so bad. I thought I was the only one with this sickness.

Since I deal with everything from drills to firearms everyday, it has become habit I guess. I don't even play with the throttle lever on a weed eater that I am handling.

Come to think of it, when I show someone a drill I don't even point the chuck at them.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

I still love Danny Glover's comment in Lethal Weapon 2 after dispatching 2 BGs with the pneumatic nail gun: "Nailed 'em both!"

It's wise to practice good trigger discipline with power tools, like drills, and sawzalls, and chainsaws . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Assistant Administrator
    May not be quite mimicking firearm's handling with other stuff but - I think as time goes by we should get altogether better at safety considerations, with all things - tools are a good example.

Other thing with both firearms and tools is trying to avoid letting complacency win the day. Over many years of use and familiarity with such things it is all too easy to let ''auto'' mode take over but if that is on a bad day then just perhaps something still is overlooked.

The projectile stapler I use for target fixing is something I do not point at people . not much risk perhaps but close up - still chance of eye injury perhaps. Better safe than sorry.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    no.........

Links