Just do what the Doctor says... get guns out of the house

This is a discussion on Just do what the Doctor says... get guns out of the house within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...l?d=dmtContent June 5, 2007 News Review From Harvard Medical School -- Most Guns Not Stored Safely In a survey, almost one-quarter of families had a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just do what the Doctor says... get guns out of the house

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...l?d=dmtContent

June 5, 2007

News Review From Harvard Medical School -- Most Guns Not Stored Safely

In a survey, almost one-quarter of families had a gun in the house. But only one-third of those with guns stored them safely, researchers found. The survey covered rural and non-rural families. They had a total of 3,745 children, ages 2 through 11. Safe storage was defined as keeping the gun unloaded, using a locked cabinet or gun lock, and storing ammunition in another place. The study was published June 4 in the journal Pediatrics.

By Henry H. Bernstein, D.O.
    Harvard Medical School

What Is the Doctor's Reaction?

Far too many children are being injured or killed by firearms every year. In 1999, 3,385 kids up to age 19 were killed with a gun by homicide, suicide or accidental death.

There are almost 200 million privately owned guns in the United States. About one-third of all U.S. homes have at least one gun kept inside. Even if there isn't a gun in the home, many children still visit homes where a gun is present.

The more easily kids can get access to a gun, the higher the risk for unintentional injury and suicide.

Homicides are three times more likely and suicides five times more likely when a gun is kept in the home. Also, it is 43 times more likely that a gun kept in the home will be used to kill someone known to the family rather than in self-defense. Even BB and pellet guns are dangerous.

A study in this month's issue of the journal Pediatrics gathered information on firearm ownership and storage. The authors looked at gun-owning and non-gun-owning families with children ages 2 through 11. They came from rural and nonrural communities across the United States. Only the parent or guardian that reported spending most of the time with the child at home completed this survey.

Almost one-quarter of these families said that they owned a firearm. But, amazingly, only 1 in 3 stored their firearms safely. Gun ownership was highest in rural families, homes with two adults, families with no more than two teenagers in the home, and white families rather than other races or ethnic groups.

Storage patterns were most influenced by the type of firearm owned, the ages of the children living in the family, and the family history of guns in the home.

For example, handgun users were more likely to store guns loaded and to use gun locks. In comparison, rifle or shotgun owners tended to keep their ammunition separate, but they did not always keep their guns in a locked cabinet.

Parents were more likely to store guns safely if they owned a rifle or shotgun and had children 2 to 5 years old in the home. People who were not raised with guns also were more likely to store guns safely.

What Changes Can I Make Now?

Keeping a firearm in the home is a serious risk to you and your family. The best way to prevent accidents with firearms is never to keep a gun in the house.

If at all possible, remove all guns from your home. For information on how to dispose of a gun, call your local police station. They may inform you of community "buy-back" or "amnesty" days when you can get rid of your gun.

If guns cannot be removed from homes where children live and play, then safe storage is critical. This means:

* Always lock the gun up in a place your children can't reach.
    * Always keep the gun unloaded.
    * Lock and store the bullets in a separate location.
    * Make sure to hide the keys.
    * Lock up gun-cleaning supplies, which can be poisonous.

Talk with your children about the dangers of guns. Teach children NEVER to touch a gun. In case your children see a gun anywhere, make sure they know to:

* Stop.
    * Don't touch.
    * Leave the area.
    * Tell an adult.

To further reduce the risk of injury from guns:

* Talk with your children about ways to solve arguments without guns or violence.
    * Remove all firearms from your home if someone has a drug or alcohol problem, becomes depressed, threatens suicide, has a major mental illness or has memory problems.
    * Before your child goes to a friend's house, always ask the friend's parent if there are guns in the house. If the answer is yes, make sure all guns are stored safely, as described above. If you have any doubts about the safety of someone's house, politely invite the children to play at your house instead.

What Can I Expect Looking to the Future?

In the future, there will be more information about gun safety available for parents. Health care professionals and parents must talk with children about the dangers of guns.

Health care professionals will need to know more than just whether or not guns are in the home. They'll need to know what type of gun, where people live and the ages of children living in the home.

Education is one of the best forms of prevention. Interventions are needed to encourage all firearms owners to store them safely, no matter where children live.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

from the perspective of a pediatrician it makes sense. Don 't get yousr 2nd amendment bowels in a uproar. Wehn my kids were little the guns were locked when I was not around that makes sense.

Hmmm....best way to not be killed by a Doctor is to not have one....avoid all doctors...

They've killed more people than all of our guns...

Teach your children well. I remember my grandfather had rifles and shotguns and a revolver in a closet on the farm. My cousins and I liked to look in that closet occassionally when visiting. Touch one?

No way. As curious as we were, we knew better than that.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -- Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

from the perspective of a pediatrician it makes sense.
    Yup, and it's a risk that is easily managed. All it takes is: a brain, personal responsibility, training of the children to appreciate the usefulness and risks, etc. Of course, common sense ain't what it used to be.

So, barring anyone taking personal responsibility ('cause, surely someone else is supposed to be protecting us) over their own actions and for raising their children with a proper respect and understanding of firearms and other tools in general, I suppose elimination would seem the next best thing. Though, I think bringing back (forcing back?) personal responsibility is just the ticket. Come Hell or high water, that should be done, despite any teething pains the newbies would have re-learning that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...l?d=dmtContent

They had a total of 3,745 children, ages 2 through 11.

Far too many children are being injured or killed by firearms every year. In 1999, 3,385 kids up to age 19 were killed with a gun by homicide, suicide or accidental death.
    Apples and oranges, a favorite HCI/Brady stunt. The "kids" </=19 yoa, are weighted with gang-bangers, ergo, yes, more of them will die by firearms.

The 3,745 2-11 yos are median SES, low risk-factor, aside from the self-reported presence of firearms by the parents.

Anybody want to guess how they would classify a loaded gun not locked up but on your person?

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Safe storage was defined as keeping the gun unloaded, using a locked cabinet or gun lock, and storing ammunition in another place. The study was published June 4 in the journal Pediatrics.

Interesting definition of "safe" storage given also...seems a tad prejudiced.. if the weapon is locked, and the kids can't get the keys.. the gun is just as safe if its loaded, or not...

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I understand the point, but their statistics and definition of "safe" is pure Brady regurgitation.

They got one thing right though, even inadvertantly.

Education is one of the best forms of prevention
    This is exactly right. Educate your kids about why guns demand respect, why they are never toys, how to use them safely, and what to do if they find one. Destroying the mystery of guns will be far more effective than a glass case and a box of ammo "hidden" behind the bed.

This 'doctor' knows as much about firearms as I do about brain surgery.

Follow a few simple rules like 'Don't let the three-year-old play with a cocked and locked .45', take them to the range with you, teach them how to shoot and how to clean guns, teach them the history and lore, and have them take a firearms safety course, or better still, take it with them. You will have no problems.

Since the good doc is so concerned about the children, I'm surprised he didn't address the issues of malpractice and limited availability of basic care due to the high costs. These are areas where he might know what he is talking about.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I'm no rocket surgeon, but

Ammo stored separately, and making the group 19 and younger, are questions designed to get the results they want. How can a gun in a good quality safe(that only I and my brother across town know the combination to), be any more dangerous to my son, just because ammo is in the same safe? The same goes for the Cannon vault by the bed.

I'm no Harvard doctor, but "make sure and hide the key", doesn't make me feel near as safe as all the random combinations it would take to get at any of my guns.

Remember, far more teens are killed by misuse of cars than guns. Simply locking the car is not a safe storage method. You need to lock and secure the keys for the car then also drain all the gasoline out and lock it up in a seperate location than the car.

How many people would accept that propsal?

Remember these polls are conducted by people with an ingrained prejudice against gun ownership to begin with and an opposistion to the use of foce in defense of home and family. They see no reason for a loaded gun because they philisophically disagree with its use.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    from the perspective of a pediatrician it makes sense.
    Absolute hogwash IMHO . And for the record my 2nd amendment knickers are not in a knot , but my privacy ones are . A Pediatrician Is there to treat my children's illnesses and/or injures and that is it . This in no way gives them any leeway to question if i own guns , a car , horses , cattle , or a pocketknife for that matter . Health care professionals need to stick to the miserable job they seem to do on health care, When they start providing adequate competent care in their chosen field then they might look at branching out into social work . I know lots of great , competent nurses , and a few MDs that i will say the same of but i have exactly NO time or patience for Quacks , or Busybodys supporting a professional association with a repressive agenda . Thank god there are still real doctors out there who feel that practicing medicine is a full time job and limit themselves to that field .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

His pediatrician is pro 2A. He knows we both carry in his office, and he approves.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

My children know they are to not touch any of my firearms without my wife of myself and never at a friends house if no parents are around.

If they are with me and would like to see them, the first thing we do is make sure they are unloaded. Quite common for my son to say before we start, "we need to make sure there are no bullets in it dad".

It's pretty easy to teach them this concept, within a few minutes the children loose interest and go play with their toys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links